Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma Lens Question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its a great lens for the price. If you're on a tight budget like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

l bought that lens for my D60 last year, l paid €230 in Camera Exchange, Dublin, unfortunately the motor seized up, but they replaced it with no trouble....Don't let me put you off buying it, lt's really a great len's.
    Make sure you keep receipts & invoice, just in case.

Also lt's pretty heavy, so invest in a tripod for some shots.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Cant go wrong with this lens starting out , i only got it on friday (from CE) for the price its great have a look at some of the shots i got at the weekend of birds http://www.flickr.com/photos/trizo/sets/72157613512908356/ in the local park and the moon http://www.flickr.com/photos/trizo/sets/72157613483872031/

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod60.html
    looking for similar lens myself , just cant decide, this one is the current favourite any other suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I had this lens and the Canon equivalent and the Sigmas image quality was way ahead.
    You should be aware though that Sigma quality control is poor and two different examples of the same lens can different qualities.
    I would advise you to buy here so you can test the lens before purchase, or buy secondhand after viewing sample pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭al_

I had this lens when I started out also, its an excellent lens for the money.
    Key phrase is 'for the money' you're paying little dollars for a zoom lens, you'll get image clarity relative to what you pay for the lens.

The macro facility on the lens is an excellent feature though, gave me endless hours of fun around the garden on many summers days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dunderrow

Try these guys

http://shop.ebay.ie/merchant/digitech_ltd

I bought mine for 129 euro + 6 delivery - they are based in Bandon in Cork and gave full VAT receipt and warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Tip for anyone considering this lens - Before removing the protective cover at the back of the lens to put it on the camera, or before removing the lens from the camera, zoom to anything above 100mm.
    At 70mm, the last lens element protrudes from the lens body slightly and is likely to be damaged if you're not too careful. Thankfully, I just happened to notice this, and didn't learn it the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 enzyme

I would never buy of Jessops. You can much cheaper than than. I would go for the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro. The APO lens elements really do make a differnce. Just checked on ebay. I don't know which camera brand you have but you can get it for a buy it now price for a low as $160 dollars which is less than Jessops price for an inferior lens. The retail price in the US is $320 When you buy it from a reputable reseller for a "buy it now" price you are buying a brand new lens. Just make sure you buy of someone with a really good positive feedback and you will be fine. Ebay is myyyyyy friend

• Advertisement

? Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro - its the same lens enzyme - & why would you buy in USA and risk customs duty plus VAT when you can buy new for less from Cork from an irish company with an Irish warranty?

By the way geoffraffe - for the money its a great lens - I bought it as a stopgap whilst saving for a 2.8 but use it all the time now with great results on D300.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 enzyme

I'm just going to climb under a table now and turn of the light. Oops

You'd better - them customs & excise fellas are looking for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

Thanks again for all the info. Think I might go with the langers n Cork. Cheers

Advertisement