Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery cost to Ireland

Options
  • 09-02-2009 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I have placed an order for a customn made sofa cover from this crowd - they have a 50% OFF offer at the moment.

http://www.covermyfurniture.com/

While UK postage is £4.95, I have been quoted €66.71 :eek:

Their website says:-
    For all covers orders outside mainland U.K, the postage & packaging cost depends on the destination. Select your country when you place an order to see the cost.

Our selected carrier service will deliver your order directly to your door or an alternative home delivery address if this has been provided. This is a 3-5 day service.

I wonder how much they'd charge someone in Newry or Belfast which are not 'mainland' UK.

Any suggestions how I should tackle this with them? I want the prodct as it is good value but I hate the thought of paying an inflated cost for postage/delivery.

I live in Meath.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Just email them and ask if they have a more reasonable price for shipping..
    You can't really "tackle" them on this, as they can charge what they like.. I imagine 66 Euro is a mistake as it is excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

For sofa that delivery cost is brilliant.
    Bar Argos most UK stores charge €100 plus for a sofa.
    I'll be checking out their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    For sofa that delivery cost is brilliant.
    Bar Argos most UK stores charge €100 plus for a sofa.
    I'll be checking out their site.

This is for sofa covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mimmi wrote: »
    I have placed an order for a customn made sofa cover from this crowd - they have a 50% OFF offer at the moment.

http://www.covermyfurniture.com/

While UK postage is £4.95, I have been quoted €66.71 :eek:

Their website says:-

I wonder how much they'd charge someone in Newry or Belfast which are not 'mainland' UK.

Any suggestions how I should tackle this with them? I want the prodct as it is good value but I hate the thought of paying an inflated cost for postage/delivery.

I live in Meath.

They're either using a bunch of robbers as carriers, or feeding in a bit more profit into the delivery charge. How much do these things weigh?

I see that the delivery charge to the US is £160 for a sofa cover...:pac: Ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I see that the delivery charge to the US is £160 for a sofa cover...:pac: Ludicrous.

to Germany its £55 but to Italy its £150, thats just mad. OP email and double check, it might just be a fault with the online shipping calculator. If its right find out if their shipping it to you wrapped in gold :p

• Advertisement

I expect some ex-Fás executive will bring it via Florida on his private jet.

There must be someone in Ireland capable of knocking together some reasonably priced furniture covers - surely?

Not trying to be sexist or anything, but there seems to be at least one biddy in every townland qualified in the sewing department.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some couriers treat Ireland as international in the UK, cost as much to get here from the UK as it would to mongolia.

With ebay guys I usually ask for the cheapest possible, that you are in no rush. Some only use good couriers, e.g. for fragile stuff, but sofa covers could go economy royal mail. Once I got cheaper postage to here than within the UK, from a UK seller! only took just over a week to get here too.

Parcelforce do cheap delivery to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Thanks for the replies. I just looked at Parcelforce and it looks like their International Datapost rates for Ireland correspond to the price quoted for my delivery. There is a Euro 48 pricing for Ireland which looks like marginally cheaperand available for Account holders.

http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/content1?mediaId=25900684&catId=25900681

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Did you ever contact UPS or DHL? I got a 20kg package from Germany to Belgium for €9. I know I'm in Belgium but €66 UK-IRL is way too much.

Let us know if you get a better deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You could suggest to them that it would be cheaper for you to fly over on Ryanair and collect it in person. That might move them to find a more sensible offer on postage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Try with freightquote.ie, they are cheaper than the actual couriers but you will need box dimesions and weight to get postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This is fairly common with UK based businesses. For orders inside the UK they'll probably have a low cost shipping contract with one of the major delivery agents. Outside that it tends to be a single once off cost at the going rate, which generally isn't cheap from the UK.

This is fairly common with UK based businesses. For orders inside the UK they'll probably have a low cost shipping contract with one of the major delivery agents. Outside that it tends to be a single once off cost at the going rate, which generally isn't cheap from the UK.

A lot of them have chosen the wrong courier and would do more overseas business if they only realised this. When you see the likes of Dabs charging about 12 Euro for sending something over here, then an outfit like Aria Computers charging almost 30 Euro - crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A lot of them have chosen the wrong courier and would do more overseas business if they only realised this. When you see the likes of Dabs charging about 12 Euro for sending something over here, then an outfit like Aria Computers charging almost 30 Euro - crazy.
    Dabs used to be quite expensive to Ireland until they decided to focus on here as target market and went to the trouble of setting up a proper distribution contract here. In my experience the typical shipping method to Ireland for businesses that have no contract for Ireland is to use Parcelforce who pass the goods on to their partner here.

I agree with your point about about them possibly doing more business abroad but if it's not their target market then they won't want to spend time and effort on it.

Advertisement