Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labret retainer for sports

Options
  • 09-02-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Right, so I'm about to start playing Gaelic football again, but the problem is that I have a labret ring. I have had it for eight years now, but it still starts to close up if I take the ring out for more than 30 minutes.

Does anybody know if I would be safe enough with a plastic retainer in it, perhaps held on with a piece of tape or something? Are there any other kinds of retainers that have a flattened front instead of being pointy?

Also, on the same subject, can anybody recommend a time of ring that I can take in and out myself that doesn't have a ball on it. I hate the ones with the balls, but the one I have at the moment requires a professional and a pair of pliers to remove, so I need something that I can take out myself.

Cheers for any suggestions...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 087sativa

well this may not be your best option, but a friend of mine has his stretched to 3.5 and his ring isnt a full circle, if you get me, so me can just spin it around with his tongue.

but even with a retainer, unless its a real small fake plug, its still likely to do some damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

It sounds like the type of ring you have at the moment is a Ball Closure Ring, which can be very hard to open sometimes. Look for a labret stud or a Circular barbell. Labret studs only have one ball on the end that screws off. CB's are like regular straight barbells, but curved into a circular shape. The balls on each end just screw on and off. Both types are very easy to get off yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I can't think of any labret jewellery that would be really suited to a contact sport- maybe an acrylic labret stud with a ball screwed on tight, but even that would run the risk of getting caught in something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

8 years and closes up in less than a minute? Wow, usually once it's there more than a year it should be fine for a match. I've mine 6 years, took it out after 2 years for a year and all it needed was a small insertion pin to reopen. Then again everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

mine are the same, they close up really quick.
    i play gaelic football too, and i just take off the balls and leave the stud in, works fine.
    only reason i take off the balls is because the refs don't take too kindly and wont let people play if they have piercings for good reason i guess :')

never had any problems after getting bumped into or anything, they just sit tight during the game or training or whatever and after i throw the ball back on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Thanks for all the replies guys. Unfortunately I fell over and damaged my ankle a couple of weeks ago, ending my football career before it even started!

But I shall bear in mind all the advice for the future!!!

Advertisement