Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cows scratching

• 09-02-2009 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Anybody have a solution to cows scratching. I have suckler cows that have been treated twice with pour-on and they are still scratching and licking like goodo.

Thinking of making a scratcher for them now.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'm not sure how legal it is but I'd be tempted to make up some sheep dip and spray it on the with a knapsack sprayer.Make sure you do all in the group or lice may spread back from ones not done.
    I'm assuming it is lice with the animals being affected in the normal spots and not around the tailhead area which could be a form of mange.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

According to a friend of mine:

We had the same problem with a dairy herd with full tails (i.e. not docked). All you need to do is trim the daggens off the ends of the tail using a sissors.
    Keep using the pour on away and its better to use the powder stuff rather than the pour on as it lasts in rain and when the cattle are sweating.
    If you keep the tails trimmed it will stop the lice getting worse.

Thats what he reckons anyway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

greysides wrote: »
    I'm not sure how legal it is but I'd be tempted to make up some sheep dip and spray it on the with a knapsack sprayer.Make sure you do all in the group or lice may spread back from ones not done.
    I'm assuming it is lice with the animals being affected in the normal spots and not around the tailhead area which could be a form of mange.

A neighbour has the same problem - he tried what you are suggesting, full 5 gallon per pen - the cows were fine for about a week but started scratching again after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we have used Young's Poron SP for the last number of years & find it fairly effective especially for mange.

a lot of suppliers don't stock it, but it is available from magenta direct

Advertisement