Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Next Chelsea Manager Should Be....(Hiddink confirmed)

• 09-02-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Not will be, should be for both good footballing and commercial reasons. Which manager can mix crowd pleasing style with hard pragmatism to put them back on top without having a super-duper budget (Roman is simply not going to spend anything like previously from now on assuming he doesn't sell the club).

Who SHOULD be the next Chelsea manager? 75 votes

Gus Hiddink
    0% 0 votes
    Frank Rijkaard
    33% 25 votes
    Sven Goran Eriksson
    8% 6 votes
    Roberto Mancini
    13% 10 votes
    Slaven Bilić
    2% 2 votes
    Martin O'Neill
    8% 6 votes
    G Zola
    12% 9 votes
    David Moyes
    9% 7 votes
    Dick Advocaat
    8% 6 votes
    Louis Van Gaal
    1% 1 vote
    Marco Van Basten
    1% 1 vote
    Other
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

tony adams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Stan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

PUT YOUR LIFE SAVINGS ON ROY KEANE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Brian Kerr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

anladmór wrote: »

to walk his dog tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

mike65 wrote: »
    Not will be, should be for both good footballing and commercial reasons. Which manager can mix crowd pleasing style with hard pragmatism to put them back on top without having a super-duper budget (Roman is simply not going to spend anything like previously from now on assuming he doesn't sell the club).

That would be Arsene Wenger.

Obviously not going to happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Sven Goran Eriksson would be a very good option I think. Couldn't believe City sacked him after only one season.

He's got Mexico to the 2nd. Phase of WC Qualifying though so not sure how much he'd want to leave with that coming up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Vialli until the end of the season. No point in bringing in someone for four years to sack him soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

poor David Moyes will not even get a mention(excluding the poll)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Obviously O'Neill is the best on there but he won't touch it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I didn't want to have too long a poll listing :)

I think Louis Van Gaal would be an exellent choice, he's done a great job with AZ in Holland, the side are full of attacking talent but well marshalled by the manager so are hard to beat as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

José to make a sensational return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

anladmór wrote: »

I'll put your life savings on it if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

As good as the last two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I think they will be on the blower to Rijkaard, Mancini and Hiddink although the Special one would be the fans choice but never whilst the Russian is still hanging around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Rijkaard with Gullit as his assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Steve "Im the Gaffer" Staunton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Keane. Just so they can fall further down the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Surprised no EPL club has made an effort to prise Roberto Martínez away from Swansea, seems to have been doing a tremendous job the last couple of seasons.
    Maybe Chelsea will be the ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

David Moyes. I wanna be quoted when it happens

I dont wanna be quoted however should he not get it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

from a purely logical point of view, it should be martin o'neill

it wont be of course, coz he wouldnt go to any club in the premiership who would currently take him imo, but it would make sense to throw one of your main rivals into disarray by pinching their manager

itd probably guarantee chelsea 3rd place, rather than having to fight for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

José to make a sensational return

now watch this space :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

I said Marco Van Basten, just cause i'd like to see how he does....Sheckshy football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I said Marco Van Basten, just cause i'd like to see how he does....Sheckshy football!

no1 at chelsea will play for van basten. apparently he's impossible towork with (Ruud and seedorf) both refused to play for him for a while so i cant see that happening. Marco and Drogba it'd be handbags and frankly i dont wanna be posting in a drogba, lampard, terry, ballack refuse to play for Van Basten Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Keane for a bit of a laugh.

Sven Goran Eirikson (horribly underated in club management) if I wanted Chelsea to be actually good. Which I dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

who ever takes over needs an over haul of new players

average age of chelsea is around 29 so Abramovich will be opening the wallet again come summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A less talented AC Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sheckshy football!

Steve McClaren might be up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well the op says 'should be',

Only one answer to that imo, Jose Mourinho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Tony Cascarino, for a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I reckoned it would've been Guus Hiddink before Big Phil was appointed. I'm going for him again.

Betting Directory

Gus Hiddink 5/2
    Frank Rijkaard 7/2
    Roberto Mancini 7/2
    Gianfranco Zola 6/1
    Jose Mourinho 6/1
    Sven Goran Eriksson 7/1
    Avram Grant 10/1
    Carlo Ancelotti 10/1
    Martin O'Neill 14/1
    Steve Clarke 14/1
    Didier Deschamps 16/1
    Jurgen Klinsmann 16/1
    Mark Hughes 16/1
    Roberto Di Matteo 20/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The op asked who 'should' get it, not who is 'likely' to get it.

Thats why I went for Mourinho, he should get it. We all know he won't look for it, and is happy in Italy for the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

anyone who can't see the convenience of Scolari and Adams leaving there jobs in such quick succession is a mad man.
    Adams to take Chelsea back to the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Ruud Gullit. Serously. His sacking at Chelsea was ridiculous! He had brought them silverware, they were second in the league, and were also fighting for two cup competitions which they subsequently went on to win, with Vialli taking the credit. So I think he deserves a second chance at Chelsea.

Also I still like the guy despite his failings at Newcastle. Didn't ask for a penny in compensation.

Note that he also made Chelsea likeable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, bring back Gullit and his sheckshy football!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Kevin Keegan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

Ray Wilkins and Jamie Redknapp dream team. Just so I wouldn't have to witness them on Sky Sports anymore. Ruud Gullit as their middle east scout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

It should be David Moyes but it will be some big name foreigner who hasn't a clue about premiership football, eg. Rijkaard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Helix wrote: »
    from a purely logical point of view, it should be martin o'neill
    DSB wrote: »
    Obviously O'Neill is the best on there but he won't touch it.

despite the two of yous obvious bias towards O'Neill :) i agree with ye. Knows the prem inside out, has experience of Europe, spends his resources relatively well and has made a career out of getting teams to punch above their weight. the logical footballing choice imo.

not a chance it will happen though. he's not glamourous enough for Ambramovich to approach him and even if he did he's too sensible to leave Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

I would love for it to be Moyes or O'Neill, I would be happy enough with Bilic or Hiddink although i have my fears for them in the EP.. would take Mourinho in a heartbeat but looks like he's holding out 'til Ferguson goes senile..

In the end it'll probably be Zola & Clarkie

Regardless of who it is they probably wont be given enough time and maybe not even the resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Craft25 wrote: »
    In the end it'll probably be Zola & Clarkie

After spending a reported 40 million to get rid of the past 3 managers, the compensation to cash strapped West Ham would be colossale.

If money is a factor I think Chelsea will have to get in an unemployed manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I reckon Grant will come back. Led Chelsea to their first Champions League final. One of the more successful managers Chelsea have had as of late.

May not have been the most attractive football but still, they got their results and that's all that matters.

I think Grant would be the man to save Chelsea's season.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I reckon Grant will come back.

Grant was sacked for what essentially was a missed Terry penalty, I don't think the man needs the hassle TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Hiddink to be hired ... will finish second in the leauge, beaten in both the FA Cup and Champions Leauge final, sacked in late may. Then Chelsea will be faced with the same scenario this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

Boggles wrote: »
    After spending a reported 40 million to get rid of the past 3 managers, the compensation to cash strapped West Ham would be colossale.

If money is a factor I think Chelsea will have to get in an unemployed manager.

Scolari to stay in london!

U reckon they could do some deal involving scolari crossing the city, with our compensation to him essentially paying for him.. just a thought, dont know if it would even be legal. Theres definitely something in that Scolari to remain in London statement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Sven I'd say, wasn't he talking to them a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Craft25 wrote: »
    Scolari to stay in london!

U reckon they could do some deal involving scolari crossing the city, with our compensation to him essentially paying for him.. just a thought, dont know if it would even be legal. Theres definitely something in that Scolari to remain in London statement though.

Scolari's statement said that? that's interesting, haven't had time to read it myself.

what you're suggesting would be very interesting aswell. Though a bit far fetched i would think, esentially Chelsea would have to pay the difference of Scolari's wage on top of the cost of hiring Zola and Clarke, and there would still be an expectation of compensation on top of that. can't see anything like that happening, the financial burden on Chelsea would be higher than normal i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

abramovich is such a shark

would love to jose back but wont happen i fear!

Looks like it will be Hiddink until the end of the season at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Carlo Ancelotti is being tipped as the man Abramovic wants.
    kinaldo wrote: »
    Ruud Gullit. Serously. His sacking at Chelsea was ridiculous! He had brought them silverware, they were second in the league, and were also fighting for two cup competitions which they subsequently went on to win, with Vialli taking the credit. So I think he deserves a second chance at Chelsea.

Also I still like the guy despite his failings at Newcastle. Didn't ask for a penny in compensation.

Note that he also made Chelsea likeable!

Supposidly he was sacked because he was a lazy bastard and then asked for a massive pay increase. A bit rich considering it was his first job in management, most managers have to start at the bottom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement