Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Next Chelsea Manager Should Be....(Hiddink confirmed)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Ruud Gullit. Serously. His sacking at Chelsea was ridiculous! He had brought them silverware, they were second in the league, and were also fighting for two cup competitions which they subsequently went on to win, with Vialli taking the credit. So I think he deserves a second chance at Chelsea.

Are you kidding ? Do you remember the crazy game at Highbury where he brought himself on as sweeper and all he did was sweep the game into Aresnal's hands.

My heart says Zola and Clarke, I think it's no coincidence that since Stevie left Chelsea have leaked goals from set pieces etc.

However Zola is a honorable man and won't leave WHU in the lurch like that.

How about the Tinkerman back ? ( joking of course )

Reading the press now it seems like Gus Hiddink is a done deal .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Are you kidding ? Do you remember the crazy game at Highbury where he brought himself on as sweeper and all he did was sweep the game into Aresnal's hands.
    I vaguely remember reading from that game that he was banging his head on the dressing room wall at half time, much to the astonishment of the players.

You sure it didn't finish 2-2 in the end?

Anyway, so he made a few mistakes, he was young and it was his first job, under a lot of pressure, and working for Ken Bates.

He still has a great record at Chelsea, and they were great to watch while he was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

:rolleyes: He even failed epically at LA GAlaxy

bringing him back would be the equivalent of Newcastle's Keegan Drama..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

So all the news and media are saying Hiddink is most likely taking the job after been given permission by Russian FA but will remain Russia coach.

Russian FA general director Alexei Sorokin later told Reuters in a telephone interview from Moscow the temporary appointment would not pose a problem and had been given their approval.

"The timetable of the national team allows Guus to combine the two jobs," he said.

"The RFU is prepared to agree to this proposal, especially considering that the combination of the two jobs does not go against the provisions of Hiddink's contract with the RFU," an official statement read.

"The RFU is convinced that this cooperation will not impede the Russian national team's preparations for the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

"The RFU emphasises that Hiddink will continue to carry out his duties under the existing contract, which stipulates that he shall head the Russian national team until July 2010," it added.

"Details of (Hiddink's) combining the two jobs will be discussed during a coming meeting between the RFU and Chelsea managements."

Asked if this would involve working as a consultant for Chelsea's coaching staff, Hiddink said: "No, this would be a full managerial role, a day-to-day job.

"But this would only be for the next two or three months until the end of the season," he added.

"Of course when Russia would play (World Cup qualifiers) I would go there to coach them during that (international window) as there won't be any (league) games during that time.

"I have already done that (combining two jobs) a couple of years ago when I was coaching Australia and PSV (Eindhoven), so I'm familiar with the situation and what it takes."

Hiddink also said he was fully committed to helping Russia qualify for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

"I will not leave my job with the Russian national team. It's out of the question," he said.

"When I took the Russia job it was a long-term project and I don't like to leave it unfinished."

Asked if he knew about Brazilian Scolari's fate before the news was released, he said: "Well, you have your contacts and I have mine.

"I did get a phone call from them (Chelsea management) and we discussed the situation but we haven't come to a final decision just yet.

"But the situation can change any day or even any hour."

The Dutchman said that before making any decisions he would discuss his future with Russian FA chief Vitaly Mutko.

"I was planning to fly to Europe from Turkey at the end of the training camp (on Wednesday February 11) but I can change that and I can go directly to Moscow to meet with Mutko," he said.

"In any case, we'll meet in the next few days and will talk about the whole thing."

Chelsea thanked the Russian FA in a statement for giving the west London club permission to talk to Hiddink.

"Chelsea Football Club can confirm it has officially approached the Russian Football Union for permission to speak to Guus Hiddink to become the club's temporary coach until the end of the season while continuing to be in charge of the Russian national team," it said.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10022009/58/premier-league-russia-give-hiddink-chelsea-ahead.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Craft25 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: He even failed epically at LA GAlaxy

bringing him back would be the equivalent of Newcastle's Keegan Drama..
    bringing Keegan back was a masterstroke, what followed was not Keegan's fault in any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

selpher wrote: »
    Rijkaard with Gullit as his assistant.

Milli Vanilli??

I put every penny and my house on Graham Taylor. Of course I am currently lurking around the bottom of the fantasy football table.

So Zola is sitting next to the Chelsea guys at the Brazil v Italy in the Emirates. Should this tell us something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

The question in the OP was who SHOULD be mananger. So I voted Martin O'Neill.

But of course there's no way he'd leave Villa for a smaller club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

redout wrote: »
    So Zola is sitting next to the Chelsea guys at the Brazil v Italy in the Emirates. Should this tell us something ?
    Yeah, he is a former Italy player and obviously loves watching his team, and is catching up with his odd buddies from his time at Chelsea.:)

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah, he is a former Italy player and obviously loves watching his team, and is catching up with his odd buddies from his time at Chelsea.:)

You know that lets say rotund lookin fella with the grey hair you always see standing by the Chelsea dugout. Think he is security or what not, anyway sitting next to him and some others. The commentators here in Spain (We had Fabio Capello btw) started their conspiracy theories and well you know how these things get going. Fabio had no comment except for "not my problem" as in the sky interview just to let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hiddink confirmed as coach until end of this season. He will also be staying in charge of Russia for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hiddink confirmed as coach until end of this season. He will also be staying in charge of Russia for the time being.

Another Manager who is coaching at International for a few years.

So a lesson well learned then by the Chelsea decision makers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Lol Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, Hiddink is probably their best hope at mounting a challenge for the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hard to do better at this stage of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was surprised to learn of Scolari's sacking a few days ago. I felt his honesty and integrity was a breath of fresh air to the league. I liked how after the match against Man United he acknowledged they were beaten by a better team, and how after the Liverpool game he said if Bosingwa had been sent off he wouldn't have disputed the decision. He seemed like a nice guy. Unfortunately I reckon that was ultimately his undoing.

Chelsea don't need nice guys like Scolari and Grant, they need someone who has authority as Mourinho possessed. I do think Hiddink possesses this quality and that he will do very well for Chelsea if given time. I can't see him putting up with crap from Drogba or allowing the egos in the dressing room to take charge of proceedings. I can see him leading from the top which is what Chelsea require.

I do sympathise with Scolari though. I can't see him returning to the Premiership in the future. He's probably better off out of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well I certaintly fancy their chances in the champions league a lot better now than under Big Phill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will Guss be any better at motivating a bunch of players who know he won't be around next season and therefor don't particularly need to impress him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Imagine the conversation between the head of the Russia FA (HRFA) and Abramovich:
    RA: 'I need Hiddink for Chelsea for the rest of the season'
    HRFA: 'No way'
    RA: 'Eh, who pays his wages?'
    HRFA:'OK then'

Although that may not be the exact conversation. The speed with which the Russian FA 'agreed' that Hiddink could manage both was quite astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

This happened very quickly. I wonder if Abramovich had a word with Hiddink before Scolari got sacked to make sure he was on board?

What I'm wondering is, what happens if Chelsea win the Premier League or Champions League, and Hiddink goes back to Russia. That'd be annoying for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

South Korea, Australia, Netherlands, Chelsea...Hiddink must be a glutton for punishment. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Even though I hated the football played under Mourinho, I appreciated that the job he did wasn't nearly as easy as many people made out and I appreciate it even more now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Will Hiddink be managing on Saturday? Please tell me not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

SantryRed wrote: »
    Will Hiddink be managing on Saturday? Please tell me not.

Ive read he will be at the cup game but not in charge, unfortunatley it seems his first game will be vs Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Delighted.

We'll take them Saturday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Ive read he will be at the cup game but not in charge, unfortunatley it seems his first game will be vs Villa.

I'd say that'll be a cracking match. Hiddink v O'Neil is an interesting battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

For me, this is an excellent appointment. With South Korea and Russia, Hiddink has demonstrated an ability to take a group of players and get them to achieve results they previously looked incapable of getting near due to good coaching and tactical gameplanning. Because of the length of the initial contract, and the likelihood that Chelsea are going to still be in two cup competitions when he takes over, there are some similarities to the job he will be doing here and the jobs he has done at Russia and South Korea.

We know he has the ability to be successful in knockout competitions - and in the Champions League specifically (PSV 04 / 05; 1988). Being honest, the league is over. The combination of United's good form and clear lead means that the game is up for Chelsea. As such, the question was who to bring in for a go at the Champions League and FA Cup. As far as I am concerned, they have brought in the best man to tackle that task.

Hiddink should have an instant impact in terms of training and setting out a vision for the players to follow on the pitch. And I think that the clearly defined length of the initially announced deal will be a positive rather than a negative. Everyone at the club will know that there are no certainties beyond the end of this season. Therefore, I would expect them all to roll up the sleeves and just go for it between now and the end of the year. And at the end of the day, there is enough talent in the squad for them to be contenders in Europe. They have lost nothing from the core that got them to penalties last year. And this move could be just the thing to re - inject some freshness and belief in their play.

We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Carlo Ancelotti has ruled himself out of a move in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

mobby wrote: »
    now watch this space :D
    José to make a sensational return

José to return in the summer maybe ? ;)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8358867

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump! Hiddink just said he does not intend to become the full time manager.

Advertisement