Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student accomodation

Options
  • 09-02-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hiya Folks,
    I'm a half Irish half Dutch lad coming over from Holland to live in Galway and learn the Gaelic language.
    Gotta say, I'm really looking foreward to coming over after looking around this forum (the Galway characters thread was class:D)
    Thing is, I'm having a bit of a problem with finding accomodation. I've been looking around Daft with a bit of succes but there
    doesn't seem to be alot of rooms for students available. And I've been looking at the self-cathering campuses and they seem to be ideal for my visit but the
    thing is, I'm not doing a study at one of the universities.
    So coming up to my questions. Does anyone know if there's a campus that takes students not going to the giving university, or will be likely to make an exception for a couple of months? Or is there some place else where I can find rooms that are in a student house?

Lookin foreward to coming and thanks in advance,

MacÚisten

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are campuses but you might as well get a room in town. I saw loads of rooms in the Advertiser. Look under Accommodation & Property and then Accommodation to let.

Everyone shares flats here so you'll be sharing with other people. Try to find a place on the same side of town as you will study in. Where will you be studying?

Once you are here you can always change after a while if you find something better.

Welcome to Galway by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Hi,

Id recommend having a look in the Galway Advertiser, in the classifieds section, there is usually loads of student accommodation there. You can view it online, go to www.advertiser.ie or you can load the digital edition and have a flick through.

good luck!

- ah i see biko just got in there before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MacÚisten

Alright, thanks for that the both of ye, I'll keep an eye open for a room on the galwayadvertiser site.
    To Biko, I'm not really doing a study, just a Gaelic course, doing a study in Holland but am taking a year of.

Cheers

p.s In what residential area would I be most likely to get a room in a nice student house?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, if you could tell the name of the place you will be studying in we could advice you better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gaillimh1990

am gleann na ri i am nearly sure that the take students that are not attending local collages.... That is out n ballybrit tho which is quite a long distance from t he city centre!!! I am nearly sure that they have a website so if you just google them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

With rents dropping in Galway you will be much better off as Biko suggested getting a place near your study centre. The rent prices will probably even be cheaper than student accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MacÚisten

I'm still in contact with getting a local teacher so I don't know exactly where I'll be following classes. But somewhere near the City Centre would be great ofcourse;) I will be looking around and if any of ye see sommething, i'd be glad if you would mention it.
    Thanks a mill anyways

Advertisement