Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Broadband connections used as one

Options
  • 09-02-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I have a 1mb conenction in my house

my neighbour has a 1mb connection in their house

How can i connect both connections and use them as one?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Why would you want to join two BB connections?..What are you trying to achieve?..Is this for 2 mb BB..?...Simpler to just upgrade to a higher package!and then just share the connection..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Agreed... The difference between a 1mb and a 3mb connection on Eircom for example is only €4.. Thats not even the price of one pint!!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

I wanna do it for redundacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

We wouldnt even do this is corporate. The equipment needed and the skills are not something that are cheap. I wouldnt be considering it. The only cheap way is for both of you to have wi-fi, maybe external ant. and both have a wifi connection as your back up.

Just to let you know though, all DSL has contention. This means you share your DSL line with 47 other people. Namely your neighbours. If your line is down, more than likely theirs will be too. If your neighbour starts to download movies you may find your connection dip.

This whole idea isnt worth thinking or talkin about really.!!

well it is if you consider youll get a max of about 100kbps on a 1mb conenction on a 2mb connection you might get 130kbps ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Redundancy is not the same as multiplexing your connections...you could pick up something like the Linksys RV082 http://tinyurl.com/byjsn2 and use that but you won't suddenly have a 2Mb connection you'll be using one as a primary connection and the other as back up or you can configure it to load balance between the connections but neither of these will mean that you have a 2Mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Would using who wifi routers, each on the separate DSL connections that are linked together with WDS? Think I remember someone mention it was possible, when talking about using Linksys WRT54G units and Tomato/DD-WRT.

rmacm wrote: »
    Redundancy is not the same as multiplexing your connections...you could pick up something like the Linksys RV082 http://tinyurl.com/byjsn2 and use that but you won't suddenly have a 2Mb connection you'll be using one as a primary connection and the other as back up or you can configure it to load balance between the connections but neither of these will mean that you have a 2Mb connection.

well redundance and a better connection then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

we use two bb connections at work we use a draytek 2950 we have a dsl connection and a wireless and therouter automatically switches. I think draytek do a less expensive dual dsl router. although not much redundancy if your connecting 2 phone based dsl connections what affects one is likely to affect the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

If you really want to:
    Zywall 35 UTM Dual Wan interfaces or similar.
    Second line from Magnet etc
    Configure for load balancing active/active.
    Insert wireless card.

Or much simpler,if your neighbour has a wireless connection and is in signal distance,simply give each other access to your wifi, via WPA keys to your wireless routes.Providing they are on different ISPs of course.
    This way you can simply connect to each others wireless LAN in the event of a single ISP going down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement