Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist Ireland membership now open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Every random article in secularireland wiki is in Chinese...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Every random article in secularireland wiki is in Chinese...

Not seeing it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

That's spam, they're trying to implement a blocking add-on to get rid of it.

You can only see it if you click View all Articles. Just use the links on the main page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Nugent thinks that atheism makes equality and empathy more likely. This does not follow, as atheism would have to prescribe a moral code. It is not capable of this.

He's preaching the kind of exclusive rationalism that has been thoroughly shot down over the past eighty years in both psychoanalysis and philosophy. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think their aim of removing the constitutional mention of God is somewhat ambitious. The world will be a lot warmer place by the time you could get the Irish people to vote God out in a referendum. :pac:

Regarding the website, I also think publishing peoples' usernames rather than real names opposite the stated goals/aims etc of the group is a mistake.

I mean who is going to respect an organisation helmed by people like RavingGob****e and freakysnatch?

Meh!
    Best of luck anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Dades wrote: »
    I think their aim of removing the constitutional mention of God is somewhat ambitious. The world will be a lot warmer place by the time you could get the Irish people to vote God out in a referendum. :pac:

Regarding the website, I also think publishing peoples' usernames rather than real names opposite the stated goals/aims etc of the group is a mistake.

I mean who is going to respect an organisation helmed by people like RavingGob****e and freakysnatch?

Meh!
    Best of luck anyway!

Freakysnatch :eek:

Meh!
    Best of luck anyway!

That wiki is edited by volunteers, I'll remove the username lark.

Anyway, good to see people here rowing in behind the organisation.:rolleyes:

Are there any aims which - ambitious or not - nonreligious people here would disagree with?

Do non-religious people here not feel that a national representative body would better serve their interests in striving for a secular nation? If not, why not?

Húrin wrote: »
    Nugent thinks that atheism makes equality and empathy more likely. This does not follow, as atheism would have to prescribe a moral code.

No it would not have to. Nugent's point is that religion is divisive; ergo, while there are different religious factions preaching their own messages (many of which specifically involve scorning outsiders), such a state cannot be reached. He is saying that atheism is a necesary precondition for such a state, but not in itself a sufficient one.

adamd164 wrote: »
    Anyway, good to see atheists rowing in behind the organisation.:rolleyes:
    I don't get the rolleyes... is the organisation not open to constructive criticism? I made a suggestion regarding the website to avoid it looking embarrassingly amateur.
    Do non-religious people here not feel that a national representative body would better serve their interests in striving for a secular nation?
    I guess that would depend on the approach, and only time will tell how that works out. TBH I think a lot of people here were content to have the HAI represent their interests.

Don't mistake a reservation of judgment for non-support. I don't doubt we'll all be watching this space with interest. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well, they voted in the Bertie & Harney show.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Call me fussy but if you're going to show a big old picture of the earth, perhaps actually having Ireland visible would be a start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Do non-religious people here not feel that a national representative body would better serve their interests in striving for a secular nation?
    Not really no. Not when the HAI has been up and running for quite a while.

I read the summary of aims bit. Promoting Atheism and Reason over Supernaturalism and Superstition - no problems with whats listed there. Promoting a secular, ethical Ireland....no real problems there either. However - when we get to "Challening the harm religon can cause"

Challenge harm caused by organised religion - A can of worms if ever there was one.
    Challenge RC Church role in cancelling cervical cancer vaccine - What role? Its news to me.
    Prevent the introduction of Islamic Sharia Law - Only the other day I stood aghast as bearded members of a local Fianna Fail cumanna poured my pint of stout down the drain.....Or maybe not.

http://www.secularireland.org/wiki/index.php?title=Summary_of_Aims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Anyway, good to see people here rowing in behind the organisation.:rolleyes:

Out of interest, why should we? Someone having, very roughly, a similar belief to me, does not imply that i should stand beside them and wave their flag.

Dragan wrote: »
    Out of interest, why should we? Someone having, very roughly, a similar belief to me, does not imply that i should stand beside them and wave their flag.

Added to which there is already a well established organisation in the HAI which seeks to do the very same thing.

Added to which there is already a well established organisation in the HAI which seeks to do the very same thing.

Have you actually read the aims list?! :confused:

Have a read through it there.

The HAI represents Humanists, not nonreligious interests. They spend most of their time tiptoeing around conflict and attempting to appease religious interests.

(btw, if you're a religious wum please give up the goat and don't bother answering)

(btw, if you're a religious wum please give up the goat and don't bother answering)

You see, this is one of the main issues i have with the modern day atheists, the religion bashing. With all due respect, i have been fighting my own individual fight to just be left alone to not believe in peace since i first refused to serve in Mass at the age of 10. I didn't feel the need to bash other people's beliefs then and i don't feel the need to do it now. Sure, i will question their beliefs and i will do so with logic and common sense on my side...but i feel the pointless agression brought on by a lot of people is right up there with the intolerance you so claim to fight.

I would simply put it that if you are going to post on a public forum, people can reply from whatever viewpoint they wish. If you find that so offencesive then i am sure there are plenty of websites out there where happy little groups on non believers can all back slap each other and feel great about being "enlightened".

Dawkinism for the win, eh?

You see, this is one of the main issues i have with the modern day atheists,

'with some of the' might be more accurate.

Nodin wrote: »
    'with some of the' might be more accurate.

Absolutely, didn't mean to be tarring everyone with the same brush. Apologies. :o

Have you actually read the aims list?! :confused:
    I did indeed.

I'm assuming that by non-religionist you mean secular, a goal which is fundamental to the aims of the HAI.

http://www.humanism.ie/aboutus.html
    The HAI represents Humanists, not nonreligious interests.
    Perhaps you'll explain how secularism differs from non-religious interests.
    Or perhaps by non-religious you mean anti-religious ?
    They spend most of their time tiptoeing around conflict and attempting to appease religious interests.
    Such as ?
    Its a public forum, if I was so inclined why should I not be allowed voice my opinion.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, didn't mean to be tarring everyone with the same brush. Apologies. :o

No Problemo:)

FAO Dagan

You see, possibly even moreso than the faith-heads, the issue I have with "I'm an atheist butt"-heads like yourself is their willingness to buy into the fallacy perpetuated by religious charlatans (safe in the knowledge that the ignoramous on the street will swallow it whole) that we all worship the divine and infallible being that is Dawkins.

Do you mean to say, sir/madam, that I can't think for myself merely because, like Dawkins, religious windup merchants irritate me? Simplistic conclusion to arrive at, if nothing else.

Either way, I don't represent AI, I don't speak on their behalf. Casting aspersions based on the views of an inidividual throws some doubt on your claim to open minded rationality.

adamd164 wrote:
    They spend most of their time tiptoeing around conflict and attempting to appease religious interests.

What, like failing to take a tilt at the dire threat of Sharia law in Ireland?

You see, possibly even moreso than the faith-heads, the issue I have with "I'm an atheist butt"-heads like yourself is their willingness to buy into the fallacy perpetuated by religious charlatans that we all worship the divine and infallible being that is Dawkins.

Do you mean to say, sir/madam, that I can't think for myself merely because, like Dawkins, religious windup merchants irritate me? Simplistic conclusion to arrive at, if nothing else.

Either way, I don't represent AI, I don't speak on their behalf. Casting aspersions based on the views of an inidividual throws some doubt on your claim to open minded rationality.

Ye see, the thing is, I never mentioned Dawkins....

Nodin wrote: »
    Ye see, the thing is, I never mentioned Dawkins....

Apologies for the ambiguity - my comments were aimed as user "Dragan". Please accept my sincerest, etc.

Perhaps you'll explain how secularism differs from non-religious interests.

Here's a list AI's aims that would not, and could not, be found on those of the HAI, whose membership is not - by definition - limited to atheists.

Put across atheist point of view in the media
    How to live as an atheist, atheist community, rearing children
    Provide a focal point for fellowship of non-religious people
    Challenge harm caused by organised religion
    Prevent the introduction of Islamic Sharia Law
    Support atheist bus advert
    Combat support for religious mindset in the media
    Get public figures to declare their non-belief
    Network with relevant groups in ireland and beyond
    Counter religious evangelists

Apologies for the ambiguity - my comments were aimed as user "Dragan". Please accept my sincerest, etc.
    Indeedy.

Put across atheist point of view in the media
    And what is the athiest view point beyond the disbelief in deities.
    How to live atheist, atheist community, rearing children
    The HAI has and continues to provide alternatives to the religious elements in Irish life, such as secular wedding ceremonies, 'christenings', burials etc.
    It has also encouraged the separation of state and church. Again nothing new or beneficial been proposed here.
    adamd164 wrote:
    Provide a focal point for fellowship of non-religious people
    That's nice. Its good to talk.
    adamd164 wrote:
    Prevent the introduction of Islamic Sharia Law
    Yes, because its such a danger in a country where we all complain is to much under the influence of catholic church.
    Perhaps the Iranian Atheist Party should campaign against the Catholic church there and the possible danger is represents in Iran.
    Get public figures to declare their non-belief
    What business is it of anyone's what someone else believes ?
    Support atheist bus advert
    We all liked the bus here, its hardly an idea unique to yourselves, its been mentioned numerous times here.

Here's a list AI's aims that would not, and could not, be found on those of the HAI, whose membership is not - by definition - limited to atheists.
    Several of those are clearly endorsed by the HAI - just because they haven't typed them out on their site doesn't mean otherwise.

• Advertisement

FAO Dagan

You see, possibly even moreso than the faith-heads, the issue I have with "I'm an atheist butt"-heads like yourself is their willingness to buy into the fallacy perpetuated by religious charlatans (safe in the knowledge that the ignoramous on the street will swallow it whole) that we all worship the divine and infallible being that is Dawkins.

*grins* In all fairness, you were the one in this thread implying we should throw our weight in behind said organisation, merely because we are all atheists. To me that is a bit like a Priest turning to a Rabbi and saying "lets hold hands as we are both religious". My point was merely with YOU implying that we should all be on the same boat...I don't think i said anything at all about the organisation itself.

I don't think i said you were not able to think for yourself, merely that i have issues with how happy you seem to be to pigeon hole the religious, and pointed out that as far as i am concerned this has only really become rife since the rise of Dawkins.

So, i guess my effort in this post is simply to say i was not casting aspersions on any organisation, merely pointing out my issues with the way you are putting yourself across. If you wish to read more into it than that, then knock yourself out.

Advertisement