Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist Ireland membership now open

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

adamd164 wrote: »
    I'm in no way affiliated with AI,
    Dades wrote: »
    Regarding the website, I also think publishing peoples' usernames rather than real names opposite the stated goals/aims etc of the group is a mistake.
    That wiki is edited by volunteers, I'll remove the username lark.

I'm confused. How can you correct the user name thing if you are not affiliated with the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I'd have zero interest in getting involved in any kind of atheist club but even if I did the 'angry at the religous world I find myself in' vibe I got any time I had a look on atheist.ie or read posts on here from guys who are members of that site would put me off this group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

gramlab wrote: »
    I'm confused. How can you correct the user name thing if you are not affiliated with the site?

Anyone can register and voluntarily edit the Wiki. I chose to do so. How does that make me an affiliate? You can register right now, go ahead, please!

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    I'd have zero interest in getting involved in any kind of atheist club

Atheist "club"? That seems to imply that the group has no real political aims or objectives.:confused:

Or was it just a throwaway remark intended to patronise and condescend as much as possible?

It may interest some of you to know that Dick Spicer, vice president of the HAI, has endorsed Atheist Ireland 100%, because he feels it can tackle issues that the HAI daren't touch for fear of breaching their ethos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Here's a list AI's aims that would not, and could not, be found on those of the HAI, whose membership is not - by definition - limited to atheists.

How to live as an atheist, atheist community, rearing children
    Provide a focal point for fellowship of non-religious people
    These are interesting variations on the book of Acts. What positive values would unite atheists together, and provide a common ground? Or at least provide a topic of conversation?
    Put across atheist point of view in the media
    Challenge harm caused by organised religion
    Combat support for religious mindset in the media
    Get public figures to declare their non-belief
    Counter religious evangelists
    So, a 'non-religious' agenda actually means an anti-religious agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It may interest some of you to know that Dick Spicer, vice president of the HAI, has endorsed Atheist Ireland 100%, because he feels it can tackle issues that the HAI daren't touch for fear of breaching their ethos.
    That indeed is interesting...

In fact that's the most relevant piece of info I've read on the topic of AI - perhaps you should have mentioned it earlier!

In fact that's the most relevant piece of info I've read on the topic of AI - perhaps you should have mentioned it earlier!

We all know that the HAI unofficially endorse those aims I listed (as you said), but the fact is they actually CAN'T tackling them politically or take an official stance. And therefore it's useless as a political entity when it comes to them.

We all know that the HAI unofficially endorse those aims I listed (as you said), but the fact is they actually CAN'T tackling them politically or take an official stance. And therefore it's useless as a political entity when it comes to them.
    That's all well and good, but I think some people here will remember it being said by one of the members on the last Atheist Ireland thread that there was no intention to interact with the government on issues. I take it that policy has changed? A political stance isn't much use without interaction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

That's all well and good, but I think some people here will remember it being said by one of the members on the last Atheist Ireland thread that there was no intention to interact with the government on issues. I take it that policy has changed? A political stance isn't much use without interaction!

I repeatedly said that was only my personal opinion, i think it reflected some thoughts of the group, but was not policy,or ruling anything in or out, you repeatedly read that but chose to ignore it, your hostility is unbelievable.

the summary of aims was just summary of proposed aims made before the constitution, which reduces the importance of tacking the church itself and put the focus on the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I repeatedly said that was only my personal opinion, i think it reflected some thoughts of the group, but was not policy,or ruling anything in or out, you repeatedly read that but chose to ignore it, your hostility is unbelievable.

the summary of aims was just summary of proposed aims made before the constitution, which reduces the importance of tacking the church itself and put the focus on the state.
    A case of split personalities :eek:

• Advertisement

Political interaction IS a goal of Atheist Ireland. Just to clear that up.

your hostility is unbelievable
    Hostile to who or what, exactly? If you guys can't take a few pertinent questions from other non-believers what's a real grilling going to be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Defo....very very interesting. Almost like good cop bad cop!

Can someone please post a link to where exactly this endorsement was posted on-line (I'm assuming it was) so that I can reference it if need be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Atheist "club"? That seems to imply that the group has no real political aims or objectives.:confused:

Or was it just a throwaway remark intended to patronise and condescend as much as possible?

It was a throwaway remark but I didn't to be patronising or condescending. But to be honest a lot of the aims seem to be fairly wishy-washy or simply irrelevant, i.e. "Prevent the introduction of Islamic Sharia Law" ??? Its almost as if they were things that people came up with to put on a list after they decided they wanted to create this group in the first place. I read some of the discussions about the formation of AI before it happened and it definitely seemed to be the case that people decided they wanted to have the group first, then afterwards they decided what the aims and objectives should be, which says a lot really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Hostile to who or what, exactly? If you guys can't take a few pertinent questions from other non-believers what's a real grilling going to be like?

purposefully misquoting me is the problem

you guys think your first people to think of the problems with organising, your not btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I see the cat-herding is going as well as can be expected!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement