Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CHINESE TAKEAWAY CHICKEN?.

• 09-02-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

I notice that the chicken in a lot of dishes(from numerous take away shops) looks like a whiteish goody slime.If getting a chicken dish,i usually go out of my way and ask for an unchopped chicken breast when getting a take away in my local.
    A friend of mine said the chicken used, is a chicken substitute and comes in giant blocks from Holland. Supposedly the chicken breasts, legs and wings are removed. Then a type of powerhose is used to remove the remaining meat off the carcase. This mush is then shaped into a block and shipped out for use in catering. Does anyone know the story on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

I notice that the chicken in a lot of dishes(from numerous take away shops) looks like a whiteish goody slime.If getting a chicken dish,i usually go out of my way and ask for an unchopped chicken breast when getting a take away in my local.
    A friend of mine said the chicken used, is a chicken substitute and comes in giant blocks from Holland. Supposedly the chicken breasts, legs and wings are removed. Then a type of powerhose is used to remove the remaining meat off the carcase. This mush is then shaped into a block and shipped out for use in catering. Does anyone know the story on this?
    Thanx all this stops me from spending money on take aways.

Its pretty obvious though. The chicken in Centra/Spar/daybreak sandwiches looks nothing like the real deal and is disgusting. Avoid at all costs i say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When you ask for one of these, the head chef rips the large scab off a rash that he developed in the far-east, and throws it into the wok for five minutes.

Anything else is Alsatian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭golfguy

thare is noting wrong whit chicken from umbrakesastan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 thieveslikeus

That chicken you get in most chinese take aways is just wrong. I've had too many disappointments with it that I now only order seafood dishes or pork. I could be wrong but I just think that these are more difficult to mess with. Reformed pork is more edible than thar reformed chicken if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There is only one chinese in the country i trust and thats pearl river in cork what a savage munch you get !!! they defo use real chicken as their chicken in the curry is large pieces and you can see its breast meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

I wouldn't order a Chinese takeaway in Ireland if someone else paid for it and then paid me to eat it! After a few experiences over the years, I'm pretty sure that the majority of Chinese takeaways in Ireland use sub-sub-sub-standard meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Just had a chicken reformed-protein- block curry tonight for me tea. Thanks for that.

*pukes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Acacia wrote: »
    Just had a chicken reformed-protein- block curry tonight for me tea. Thanks for that.

*pukes*
    I almost went to the chinese today but my sisters car broke down halfway there. SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy now !! Was going to have either CHICKEN balls and curry or CHICKEN fried rice !! Gulp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I think the white-ish slime could just be cooked chicken blood/juice. If you ever buy those vacuum packed chicken breast from supermarkets, sometimes they contain a tiny bit of pinkish water in the packs. If you boil the packs or take the chicken out first and boil/poach it without washing it you will see the white scum attached to the chicken breast.

Claiming that all chinese takeaways use a chicken substitute is ridiculous. Certainly some might. It sounds like some stupid urban myth someone made up.

• Advertisement

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    I think the white-ish slime could just be cooked chicken blood/juice. If you ever buy those vacuum packed chicken breast from supermarkets, sometimes they contain a tiny bit of pinkish water in the packs. If you boil the packs or take the chicken out first and boil/poach it without washing it you will see the white scum attached to the chicken breast.

I think people are talking about the chicken pieces themselves. Their texture, from many takeaways, is nothing like chicken.
    Claiming that all chinese takeaways use a chicken substitute is ridiculous. Certainly some might.

I would say that saying that some might is ridiculous. I would say the majority do. Over the years I would say that about 75% of Chinese takeaways I've ordered chicken dishes from were inedible. Whatever chicken they're using is very, very low grade crap from what I can tell.
    It sounds like some stupid urban myth someone made up.

Are you just assuming or do you order many takeaways?

There are a few Chinese takeaways in Dublin that I'll order from that have proven to use decent quality ingredients but of the dozens that I've tried over the years, most of them were throwing out disgusting slop and low grade meat. Fact. Than again, some people will eat anything.

NickNolte wrote: »
    I think people are talking about the chicken pieces themselves. Their texture, from many takeaways, is nothing like chicken.
    I am sure most people don't know what kind of preparation and cooking process is used in the takeaway and how it might affect the texture of the meat.
    I would say that saying that some might is ridiculous. I would say the majority do. Over the years I would say that about 75% of Chinese takeaways I've ordered chicken dishes from were inedible. Whatever chicken they're using is very, very low grade crap from what I can tell.
    Then stop eating low grade crap you don't like. I'd say majority do not unless you know the inner workings of a chinese takeaway.
    Are you just assuming or do you order many takeaways?
    I worked in several and I've eating in a few.
    There are a few Chinese takeaways in Dublin that I'll order from that have proven to use decent quality ingredients but of the dozens that I've tried over the years, most of them were throwing out disgusting slop and low grade meat.
    [sarcasm]Ah no way, I am sure they all use high grade organic chicken and meats.[/sarcasm] Do you actually expect them to use good ingredients? They most likely all use low grade crap. Just not the protein block you guys are talking about. Do you actually know if the takeaway you approve of use high quality ingredients or maybe they just prep and cook better?
    Fact.
    Your opinion is not fact.

I am sure most people don't know what kind of preparation and cooking process is used in the takeaway and how it might affect the texture of the meat.

Well why don't you explain it to us then seeing as...
    I worked in several and I've eating in a few.
    [sarcasm]Ah no way, I am sure they all use high grade organic chicken and meats.[/sarcasm]

Indeed. And you know what they say about sarcasm.
    Do you actually expect them to use good ingredients?

Eh... yes. Yes I do. If I'm paying for food, I expect it to be of a certain quality.
    They most likely all use low grade crap... maybe they just prep and cook better?

It's not difficult to tell the difference between reasonably good chicken and low grade crap regardless of how it's cooked.
    Do you actually know if the takeaway you approve of use high quality ingredients

Yes.
    Your opinion is not fact.

It is. Sorry.

Well why don't you explain it to us then seeing as...
    I could... I don't think I can change your mind, I don't really care to be honest. Believe what you want.
    Eh... yes. Yes I do. If I'm paying for food, I expect it to be of a certain quality.
    Well then that's like expecting a gourmet burger in macdonalds. Chinese takeaways are not really known for their authenticity or quality. It's cheap, westernised chinese food for the masses who doesn't know any better.
    It's not difficult to tell the difference between reasonably good chicken and low grade crap regardless of how it's cooked.
    Actually you'd be surprised. I recall seeing Gregg Wallace on a documentary show where we went around with a plate of KFC chicken dressed as something from a restaurant and most people who hates KFC thought it was fantastic before being told what it was.
    Yes.
    Just cause you believe they do doesn't mean they actually do. You have access to their stock room do you?
    It is. Sorry.
    Okaay...

I could... I don't think I can change your mind

Translation: I can't substantiate my point at all, I just want to argue. I think in the interest of not making fools out of ourselves (i.e. pointlessly arguing on the internet) we should just leave it at that.

Translation: I can't substantiate my point at all, I just want to argue. I think in the interest of not making fools out of ourselves (i.e. pointlessly arguing on the internet) we should just leave it at that.
    Ok, if you really must know. Different takeaways do things differently obviously. Most places I've seem uses 2 types of chicken. Whole ones and vacuum packed chicken breasts like the ones you see in supermarkets.

The whole chicken are usually prepared by poaching them in giant pots and then left to cool. The carcass is then stripped of the breast meat and the leg meat.

The leg meat will get chopped up into chunk size pieces and will get used in chicken curry. The breast meat will get used in breast of chicken curry, diced into pieces before battered and deep fried into chicken balls.

The meat of the rest of the carcass can be stripped off to supply the chicken used in chicken fried rice and chicken fried noodles.

The vacuum packed chicken breasts gets sliced into thin strips, marinated in soy sauce, oil, corn starch, salt, sugar, msg etc. They're used in most other chicken dishes. The marinade gives the chicken a different texture etc.

That's the jist of it. Like I said, I wouldn't expect all takeaways to do it this way.

Anyway, here's a personal question. Are you always this obnoxious or just on the internet? I've had enough of your immature comments and attitudes. Don't expect me to post again on this thread. Bye.

Ok, if you really must know. Different takeaways do things differently obviously. Most places I've seem uses 2 types of chicken. Whole ones and vacuum packed chicken breasts like the ones you see in supermarkets.

The whole chicken are usually prepared by poaching them in giant pots and then left to cool. The carcass is then stripped of the breast meat and the leg meat.

The leg meat will get chopped up into chunk size pieces and will get used in chicken curry. The breast meat will get used in breast of chicken curry, diced into pieces before battered and deep fried into chicken balls.

The meat of the rest of the carcass can be stripped off to supply the chicken used in chicken fried rice and chicken fried noodles.

The vacuum packed chicken breasts gets sliced into thin strips, marinated in soy sauce, oil, corn starch, salt, sugar, msg etc. They're used in most other chicken dishes. The marinade gives the chicken a different texture etc.

That's the jist of it. Like I said, I wouldn't expect all takeaways to do it this way.

Doesn't quite explain why the chicken doesn't taste like chicken but thanks for the lesson anyway.
    Anyway, here's a personal question. Are you always this obnoxious or just on the internet?

Only when provoked by smart arses.
    I've had enough of your immature comments and attitudes. Don't expect me to post again on this thread. Bye.

Like I said before... let's leave it at that.

Thread summary for everyone else: All Chinese takeaways use low grade meat regardless of what the meat tastes like or its texture. Please don't make any personal or objective judgements when you eat food from a takeaway. It's all crap.

:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Thread summary for everyone else: All Chinese takeaways use low grade meat regardless of what the meat tastes like or its texture. Please don't make any personal or objective judgements when you eat food from a takeaway. It's all crap.
    NickNolte has a chip on both shoulders and thinks he/she knows best for all, FACT

;)

Dyflin wrote: »
    NickNolte has a chip on both shoulders and thinks he/she knows best for all, FACT

I'm not usually one for sarcasm but mine obviously went over your head. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

NickNolte and CodeMonkey, I suggest you both take a break from this thread and lay off the personal abuse, or I'll start issuing infractions.

Dyflin, if you have nothing useful to contribute to the thread, don't bother posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Advertisement