Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweetest Animal

Options
  • 09-02-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Im looking for to buy a pet.. It has to be small.. and sweet... I was thinking about getting a rabbit.. but they get agressive.. and I really love to cuddle :D.. do you have any suggestions??

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No offence, but I believe what you're looking for is a called a Teddy.

Pets may or may not be cuddly, they are very much individuals with moods and emotions and as a rule of thumb they are at their least cuddly when all you want to do is snuggle up to them and at their most clingy when you have absolutely no time for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Depends on how much time you can spend with them ,
    i have guinea pigs they are great once they get used to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Maddy5

Depends on how much time you can spend with them ,
    i have guinea pigs they are great once they get used to ya

I've heard they bite you... it's that true...?? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Guinea pigs take time to get used to a new home, with gentle handling and once they have settled they will happily sit on your knee and fall asleep.
    Guinea pigs must be kept in pairs (bonded same sex or a neutered male with a female). They require a large cage 4 foot minimum for two guineas plus floor time daily.

They need bathing every couple of months with a proper shampoo.
    They can't control their pee and poop so will pee and poop on your knee but a towel underneath them sorts that.

Guinea pigs rarely bite, unless a guinea pig has never been handled, is terrified or is being handled roughly they won't bite.

They do make great pets but it's very important to have their housing, diet, and skin care correctly maintained. They can live approx. 7 to 10 years it varys a lot.

They don't require vaccinations but can need nails clipped, worming with parazole or similar safe wormer this all needs to be done by the vet if you're not sure of dosage and should only be done without vet help if an experienced guinea pig owner. It's also important not to treat them with too many things at once eg you should never worm them the same time as bathing them.

If they are ever on antibiotics they need to be given a pro biotic also like Avipro.
    It can be hard to find a good vet that has experience with guinea pigs but it's important to get established with one that has 24 hour emergency care.

The main illnesses guinea pigs suffer from are things like fungal skin, mites, lumps on the skin which can be just fatty lumps or tumours not as common as skin problems but important to check them for lumps and bumps.
    They can also get coughs and colds, but in general if a guinea pig has a clean cage (cleaned daily or every second day this leads to a lot of litter waste) good diet with plenty of veg and a little fruit now and then for their vitamin C, good quality pellets like Supa Burgess guinea pig food (orange bag), fresh water daily and an unlimited supply of hay.

They also must have a few places to hide in their cage and when having floor time cardboard boxes are cheap and they love them.

There's so much more so just click on my website in my signature it has step by step advice from bringing your guinea pigs home to diet to sexing to neutering and lots of helpful links.

They are great little critters so if you are serious about their care they might suit you, cuddles are just one thing they need but there is a whole lot more.

Keep in mind though some people have allergies and their hay can effect people with hay fever also although they don't stink they do have a strong odour and like to mess everywhere. When you clean them in the morning you can gurantee by the end of the day it will look like they weren't cleaned out. Mucky little pups but a lovely under rated critter.

Just be careful where you get them if you do, I would advise trying rescues that know what they are doing or more experienced pet shops because many pet shops will sell you pregnant guinea pigs or wrongly sexed guinea pigs..fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

furbybw.jpg

:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I don't a small pet would suit your expectations, rabbits can be aggresive and usually don't want to sit in your lap and be cuddled, guinea pigs, as a rule of thumb, don't like to be cuddled and animals like hamsters, rats, mice don't like to be cuddled either. I'd also be worried that if you got an animal and it turned out not to be all cuddly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 funckychic

I have two dogs they love to be cuddled when they want , there a lot of work , why not get a kitten , animals like humans have personality's some like cuddles some hate them , any animal needs time , love , discipline ,walks and to be socialized with other animals ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DaddyOSphynx

Rather than a kitten, adopting an adult cat would be a better option. Any of the smaller welfare groups that deal with rescue cats should be able to identify a cat that loves cuddles and the quiet life. You wouldn't have the hard work of a kitten and you'd get the satisfaction of knowing you were giving a home to a needy adult cat - they get so overlooked but are usually so easy to settle into a new home, provided you go to a good welfare group who know their animals and are honest about looking for a good match between animal and home, rather than just a home at any cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Maddy5 wrote: »
    Im looking for to buy a pet.. It has to be small.. and sweet... I was thinking about getting a rabbit.. but they get agressive.. and I really love to cuddle :D.. do you have any suggestions??

Thanks! :)

Seriously - and I'm honestly not trying to be smart here - but are you taking the pi*s? I ask only as I don't think you really have any understanding of what it means to own any sort of pet - aka animal - it's a two way deal.. It's not like owning a handbag.

Requirements: Small, sweet (?!!?) cuddly, non aggressive, non biting...

This rules out the following:

Dog - they may not like being 'cuddled'
    Cat - they might scratch you nor being cuddled like above.
    Rabbit/Guinea Pig/Hamster/Gerbil - they might bite you.

http://www.tamagotchi.com - possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Sorry .... OT but .....

peasant wrote: »
    ......... as a rule of thumb they are at their least cuddly when all you want to do is snuggle up to them and at their most clingy when you have absolutely no time for them :D

This describes one of my kitties EXACTLY :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

I was thinking of getting a kangaroo....but then remembered that he would get lonely due to a lack of "associates" in my town. Oh, and ireland's climate isn't well known for it's suitability for the upkeep of kangaroos. I hope i contributed in some way there

Advertisement