Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! How much is this worth?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

subway wrote: »
    but this never was an aspirational area. its working class.

What in Heaven's name does that mean?:mad:

I'd love someone to break down what is working class and what is middle class:rolleyes: in Ireland. Petty snobbery of the worst kind.

"Aspirational areas". WTF??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

then why is it worth more than 12 times the average salary?

this is the kind of BS people state to ecplain why there average houses are worth ridciulous amounts. im just pushing it back the other way.

and i live in baldoyle (and have done all my life)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Freddie59 wrote: »
    What in Heaven's name does that mean?:mad:

I'd love someone to break down what is working class and what is middle class:rolleyes: in Ireland. Petty snobbery of the worst kind.

"Aspirational areas". WTF??!!

if you need to be educated on the simple concept that is social classes this is really the wrong forum.

Try this out tho.

Off the top of your head

try and name one area in dublin based on your own criteria or any criteria you like that might be working class

now try the same with middle class

you might surprise yourself

for a bonus point try and name an area middle class people might aspire to live in.

ntlbell wrote: »
    if you need to be educated on the simple concept that is social classes this is really the wrong forum.

Try this out tho.

Off the top of your head

try and name one area in dublin based on your own criteria or any criteria you like that might be working class

now try the same with middle class

you might surprise yourself

for a bonus point try and name an area middle class people might aspire to live in.

As I said already - petty snobbery at its worst. A penny looking down on two ha'pennies.:)

As I said already - petty snobbery at its worst. A penny looking down on two ha'pennies.:)

I'm not really sure I understand what your talking about?

Who's a snob?

and what has it got to do with social classes or property prises?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'm not really sure I understand what your talking about?

Who's a snob?

and what has it got to do with social classes or property prises?

Not saying you're a snob my friend.:) But I have observed a growing number of comments about this whole working class/middle class BS, particularly during our 'Tiger' years.

OK I get the whole 'D4' BS (they're in every city & town - nouveau riche, usually up to their tits in associated debt), but I have asked before. Can someone explain what is the difference between working class and the so-called middle classes in Ireland?

What jobs/professions would fall into these 'categories'.

FFS we're not living in the UK. Or is it heading down that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

before you start looking to buy in Dublin, take a quick look at whats being happening in other areas of Ireland. Last week, a half acre site with planning permission was sold in Letterkenny for €20,000. 2 years ago that would have been €80,000. There are alot of pretty stuck people in the country now, willing to take any price

Not saying you're a snob my friend.:) But I have observed a growing number of comments about this whole working class/middle class BS, particularly during our 'Tiger' years.

OK I get the whole 'D4' BS (they're in every city & town - nouveau riche, usually up to their tits in associated debt), but I have asked before. Can someone explain what is the difference between working class and the so-called middle classes in Ireland?

What jobs/professions would fall into these 'categories'.

FFS we're not living in the UK. Or is it heading down that road.

I asked you to do the same and you ignored the answer, so why are you surprised that no one has answered it for you?

not 45k more than this one anyway
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=418638
    now back on the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

That house will be 100k in a few years.

Its not a matter of waiting to see if prices drop, houses in Ireland will be worthless in the next 5 years, its heading the way of Iceland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

iguana wrote: »

I used to be very skeptical about the price crash, but once you look at the facts the reality is very clear. I'll see your €50 and raise you €99,950 if you like. I have very little doubt that those houses will be valued below €250k before the bottom is reached. If you're good for the money I'll gladly take it off you.:p

l cant agree with the above more.
    l wouldnt be thinking of buying at the moment.
    untill the excess amount of property on the market
    dries up house prices will continue to fall.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

During the boom, the working class were, ironically enough, the people who didn't work. It's hard to claim you're working class as a taxi driver or plumber who earns 70k+ p.a. and owns 3 investment properties.

Karlrove wrote: »
    I donts think people will sell below 370k in this area....

http://www.daft.ie/1418638
    now 369,950

more to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

I am always amazed at the prices of houses in Dublin. I will never ever live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Poloman wrote: »
    I am always amazed at the prices of houses in Dublin. I will never ever live there.

You do realise salaries are higher here too? There are more jobs etc...

The house is way over priced simple as. It is also one of the rougher areas of Dublin and I would say there are more people living there likely to be/become unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Karlrove

update on number 75.....360k. seems very good...what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

They accepted €360k?
    Thats quite a drop, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Talk to us in a year.

Waste of money at current price for all the reasons state above, but then it's also been hinted that you want to hear what your thinking as it's gone emotional, I agree.

theyre dropping at around 10k a month.
    i still say wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

Of course wait, the irish property market is nowhere near the bottom.

That home will be 150k before this ends if not lower.

You will be picking up city center and southside apartments for less than 100k.

• Advertisement

rentable now, for 1300 pm (or less)
    @1300, calculates to 218,400 with yield of 7% or 200k if you leave in voids
    1100 could be realistic this year so that gives 184k or 169k with voids

hmmm

http://www.daft.ie/2734064

edit, scratch that, theres another one availble
    http://www.daft.ie/2741665

hard bargaining possibly could get this for 950
    159k to 143k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Not sure if I'm comparing like for like, not familiar with the area, but number 13 Admiral Park is a 4bed and asking price is only 399, have you looked at this house? http://www.myhome.ie/residential/search/brochure/13-admiral-park-baldoyle-dublin-co&-city/XSXFY393740

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

'Only' 399k? It ain't worth that much to me.

Anyone willing to pay 399k for that house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

gurramok wrote: »
    'Only' 399k? It ain't worth that much to me.

Anyone willing to pay 399k for that house?

I would if I got the house next to it for free. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Personally I wouldn't pay that much either, but I'm just making the point that the asking price is 29.5k cheaper, yet there's an extra bedroom and bathroom compared to number 75 Admiral Park.
    So, loads more room for the OP to negotiate further, in my opinion.
    360k still too much to pay for the house.

http://www.daft.ie/1418638
    now 369,950

more to go...
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/search/brochure/13-admiral-park-baldoyle-dublin-co&-city/XSXFY393740

4 bed for 329k in the same estate

4 months wait for an extra bedroom and 40k off the asking price.
    and people still think I'm mad to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

http://www.daft.ie/1458223

what kind of first offer to people think we should put in for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

niallo27 wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/1458223

what kind of first offer to people think we should put in for this

That's not worth any more than €150k - do some research here and at www.thepropertypin.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No schadenfreude here please.
    By all means use Admiral Park as a barometer- but try not to personalise it.

OP- you asked 'how much is this worth?'
    I refer you to a quotation attributed to Publius Sirus almost 2000 years ago- when he replied to a similar question with- 'Everything is worth what its purchaser is willing to pay for it..........' Its worth whatever its worth to you. Is it worth a commensurate amount to someone else- almost certainly not.

It is a very bad idea to become emotionally attached when you are buying anything- at all..... even grocery shopping. Ever gone shopping before you'd had anything to eat- and come home with a load of all sorts of groceries that you'd never have even looked at- had you eaten something before hand?

In the case of Admiral Park- why don't you rent there for a while? Prices are continuing to fall- and it would also allow you to get a feel for the area. You may discover that the 'bargain' you have your eye on, may not be such a bargain after all.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That's not worth any more than €150k - do some research here and at www.thepropertypin.com

can i ask where you got that figure from

Advertisement