Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil - stolen????

Options
  • 09-02-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

I'm a few miles west of barna.

Has anybody noticed dry oil tanks.

Heard before that people/scum steal oil, and just wondering is this happening in galway.

Mam got a full tank of oil in early december. We're careful at home not to waste it. Heating at home has been on a little bit more with the cold weather but we dont leave it on for long. Boiler stopped working, and checked tank and it was empty. It usually lasts longer.

Just wondering has anybody else noticed dry oil tanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I'm a few miles west of barna.

Has anybody noticed dry oil tanks.

Heard before that people/scum steal oil, and just wondering is this happening in galway.

Mam got a full tank of oil in early december. We're careful at home not to waste it. Heating at home has been on a little bit more with the cold weather but we dont leave it on for long. Boiler stopped working, and checked tank and it was empty. It usually lasts longer.

Just wondering has anybody else noticed dry oil tanks.

That's really annoying. I'd say you must be able to get something that monitors how many litres the boiler burns so you can know if it is indeed being stolen in the future. Are you sure she hasn't been leaving it on and forgetting it or perhaps the timer has been mistakenly set incorrectly?

Other than that it depends on your setup at home and access to the oil tank regarding what security measures you could take. The thieves will always go for the easiest targets. If you make yours difficult for them they might just leave it and move on to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Yes Oil does get stolen from tanks in Galway but I have not heard of any recently. That doesn't mean its not happening.

However we have had really cold weather now for a long time and people may not realise it but they have the heat on more burning more fuel and also clocking up the Electricity Units.

If you are reckon it was robbed report it. The Gardai might turn around and say that there were a few more robberies in the area.

Inspect the valves on the tank to ensure they are not tampered becuase they might leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

its a big problem in meath, i put my oil tank in the garage, so if they do steal mine, i'll have to replace the oil and probably a window too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

Oil theft happens all over the country specially in rural areas. Best security is a good dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

We've got a fairly heavy duty padlock on ours and its in the back beside the dog house :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

That's really annoying. I'd say you must be able to get something that monitors how many litres the boiler burns so you can know if it is indeed being stolen in the future. Are you sure she hasn't been leaving it on and forgetting it or perhaps the timer has been mistakenly set incorrectly?

Thanks for the replies.

Heating has been on a lit bit more alright, but we're always so careful not to leave it on for long. And we dont use the timer on the boiler. I doubt very much that we used it all up.
    We would be an easy target. The tank is in the back yard but also viewable from the road. No security measures in place.

We'll see if we hear anything about other people missing oil and then maybe put an electric fence up around the tank.
    Our dog is very lazy and is fond of her sleep. She sleeps indoors in one of our beds at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 oilman

your average house burner uses 4.5 litres per hour so you shoul be able to work out how much you are really using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

If you suspect that your oil has been stolen - report it to the Gardai. If enough people report, it will become a big enough problem for them to try to do something to stop it.

Of course they cannot actually get your oil back, but maybe you may prevent happening yourself or a neighbor again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭LambDave

Dont want to advertise but my brother does oil tank locks, monitors and cages. Hes gotten lots of business lately because of the issue of people stealing oil. Its becoming a real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

LambDave wrote: »
    Dont want to advertise but my brother does oil tank locks, monitors and cages. Hes gotten lots of business lately because of the issue of people stealing oil. Its becoming a real issue.

Was going to suggest a lock for the oil tank. We don't have a lock ourselves because we have a dog but I've heard of a few people getting locks for their oil tanks lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Acquired such a lock recently. Big bulky thing. Someone lost the key already! Of course, it won't deter the pro from making a hole in the tank if they really want to drain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Or neighbour behind us had his oil stolen too. Sickening, glad we have ours in our shed. And the dog would kill them if they tried to enter!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do you have a lock on your tank? Was it tampered with?

Also if you do put a lock on a tank don't put a bog standard pad lock on they're extremely easy to get open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭LambDave

ethernet wrote: »
    Acquired such a lock recently. Big bulky thing. Someone lost the key already! Of course, it won't deter the pro from making a hole in the tank if they really want to drain it.

For those people who feel that might feel that a lock wouldnt be enough, he has caged enclosures. He finds that places like schools are asking him to install these as places like this wouldnt be able to monitor their tank over long periods of time...eg weekends or school holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

I work in a primary school on south galway and we had 2 tanks of oil stolen last week. :mad: lots of oil being stolen down there so watch out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

pretty much the lowest of the low scum to steal from a primary school.

Leaving kids cold in this weather... get a good lock and a fake security camera box pointing at it... just as a deterent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Anyone know how they are doing this exactly?

I couldn't really figure out the logistics of this before either. Do they use their own oil/drum vehicle? do they fill a number of small tanks and throw them into the back of a van?

Im surprised no one has been caught for this yet as its been going on for the last year. Hardly seems like a worth while crime, granted oil is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'd imagine they have a deep cannister (or a few) and use a pipe you can work manually by squeezing the enlarged, air-filled part of it. Wouldn't do to make too much noise when doing the deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ethernet, yer way behind the times :pac:

Prob either 1 big tank/multiple smaller ones on a trailer.

Then a silent 12v pump, a battery and 2 long hoses.

Fcuking p1keys :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

John, you got any links/backup?

How it was done in NY by the oil company
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/20/nyregion/20oil.html

In Derry:
    Published Date: 16 January 2009
    By Staff reporter
    A Limavady teenager who stole 250 litres of home heating oil from a pensioner has been spared jail, and ordered to do 200 hours of community service.
    Jason Welch (19) was caught stealing almost £140 of fuel from the house in the town on September 8, 2008.

Police said he used a brown wheelie bin to transport the oil to his home.

When challenged, along with another male, he fled. Police later discovered the oil at Welch’s home in seven drums.

When the matter appeared at Limavady Magistrate’s Court on New Year’s Eve, District Judge McElholm said his option would be to jail Welch, but left the matter for District Judge Eamon King to deal with on Wednesday.

“You’re lucky it’s me because I am not going to jail you,” said Mr. King. “You’re a young, healthy fit fella. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be sent to work.”

Ordering Welch to pay the money back, Mr. King added: “If you don’t do the community service I will bring you back and I may agree with my colleague.”

The court heard the fuel had since been returned to the pensioner’s oil tank.

• Advertisement

biko - Unfortunately these scum don't write blogs of their techniques (I'm as surprised as you are)

That's how we do it when we have to transfer fuels from one tank to another (ie. from drums to fuel tank) - I'm guessing it's how these people do it do as the flow rate is a LOT quicker than any hand pump

Please provide links to a pikey/knacker/traveller being convicted of oil theft.

We know theft happens, we just don't know who did it.
    The links I put up is the only I could find at a quick search.

biko wrote: »
    Please provide links to a pikey/knacker/traveller being convicted of oil theft.

We know theft happens, we just don't know who did it.
    The links I put up is the only I could find at a quick search.

Please bring me a cheeseburger, i'm flippin' starving

I use the term 'Pikey' as general scum/thieves. Best add that to your little notebook biko so you don't get confused if I ever use that word again in the future :p

Wiki: Pikey is a pejorative slang term used, mainly in England, to refer to travellers, Gypsies or people of low social class.
    This then. I'm writing in my little notebook to ban you next time you use it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Hi,

:( I have just discovered heating oil has been stolen from the tank. I had only filled it up in january. Whoever these scumbags:eek: and lowlifes :mad: are that are stealing the oil I hope they come to a bad end. Could someone please tell me how I can secure the tank to prevent theft of the oil? I live in the Inishowen area of Co. Donegal, can anyone tell me of any company that provide security cages or other security devices? Please help.

THANK YOU :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

yes there has been oil stolen from tanks contact salthill gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Please bring me a cheeseburger, i'm flippin' starving

I use the term 'Pikey' as general scum/thieves. Best add that to your little notebook biko so you don't get confused if I ever use that word again in the future :p

Please bring me a JohnCleary with extra olives and pesto. I use the term 'JohnCleary' occasionally when I mean a thin crust pizza. Please take note, to avoid confusion :p:p:p

*ps, I occasionally confuse other people, dunno why...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 e2rd

I'm in co. Wicklow, Ballinaclash area, and yesterday I've found a hole drilled in my oil tank. Don't know for how long it was there, seems like not much of oil disappeared, but when I told my landlord about it, he said there were other people in the area robbed too. Oil tank for the nearby church was drained completely and some houses were robbed too. Looks like there was an organized group on tour. My oil was saved probably because of not an easy access off the road, they'd need to build a pipeline to drain it. Lucky me, pissed about the hole in the tank though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

I live in the west side of Galway city - my oil has been stolen.
    Got 500 litres in Feb, thermostat on low and heat on less than before Feb (got 500 litres in Sept, lasted til Feb), bolt from tank gone. Have reported it to Gardai. Has this happened to anyone else recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

No way ye used a full tank in 2-3 months unless it was on for long periods.

Happened to quite a few people in our area ... Gardai had issued a warning through GalwayBay FM.

We have a lock on ours but a small deterrent if they really want it.

Advertisement