Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil - stolen????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭LambDave

Hi guys,

See this thread is getting more information. Probably not as relevant seeing as the summer is coming up.

Mentioned before that my brother has a local business that does products that specifically target these issues. Mod, can I have permission to post contact details of the company. Cant post a website address because i've been lazy and havent finished coding site yet...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure, post the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

LambDave wrote: »
    Hi guys,

See this thread is getting more information. Probably not as relevant seeing as the summer is coming up.

Mentioned before that my brother has a local business that does products that specifically target these issues. Mod, can I have permission to post contact details of the company. Cant post a website address because i've been lazy and havent finished coding site yet...:rolleyes:

Your brother sells locks, doesn't he? :D

(Whats my prize??)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 klipdrift

Just had circa 600L of oil stolen from my tank. I hope the B.....D that stole it dies of carbon monoxide poisioning.
    Anyway, the kids wanted a dog for xmas, i was dead against it...but guess what, there gettong one, A ROTWILLER

images%3Fq%3Drottweiler&zoom=1&q=rottweiler&hl=en&usg=__vlYycJpynoa8z-nEcsXZhIihGEw=&sa=X&ei=tP70TIGMEInMhAfPu_iSBg&ved=0CCUQ9QEwAA

HE WILL BE FED ONCE A WEEK ONLY.

So come on back for some heating oil gents. smile.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do you have neighbours..did they see anything?

• Advertisement

Neighbours are scarce where i live. Right in the end of a small country road, not a through road so cant figure this one out. Im soooo pissed off, we only moved in there 2 mths ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

klipdrift wrote: »
    Neighbours are scarce where i live. Right in the end of a small country road, not a through road so cant figure this one out. Im soooo pissed off, we only moved in there 2 mths ago

must be someone with some local knowledge then.

Stick a lock on it when you buy more in

Build a bloody wall round it, and chain the rotwiller to it I think.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I read recently in an article about oil thefts that there's a company either selling or developing a device that alerts you when your tank is being pillaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Robbo wrote: »
    I read recently in an article about oil thefts that there's a company either selling or developing a device that alerts you when your tank is being pillaged.

It's called a guard dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

No point in a lock- they will just break it. If they can't break it they will drill the tank and the tank is ruined.

Move the tank would be my only suggestion, but it is very difficult to stop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Some of the wireless oil tank monitors sound an alarm at the receiver in the house if the level drops very quickly. But that's only useful if you're in at the time! And you probably have to be in the same room as the receiver to hear the alarm I'd say. Agree, best bet is to move the tank altogether. Also, whoever took your oil could well drop by again knowing that it will be refilled. You might well be covered by house insurance. Finally, I guess it's safe to assume that there's not another explanation like a big crack in the side of the tank!

Hi,

No cracks, no leaks, installation only 12mths old. Filler cap removed and then replaced without securing pin. Pissed off is an understatement.

The rotwiller is on his way from Kildare as we speak. He will be treated like a god and will eat thieves like a king.

:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

A friend of mine living out in Menlo had her oil stolen, and the oil tank drilled in a load of places. Landlord had to replace it, but he threw in a free fill of oil too, which was sound.

Nice to see there are some decent landlords left. Top marks to him/her.

:mad:, i would like to catch my thieves now........!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Emmett

Heard of a few people being stung for oil lately. Mostly in student villages. The best solution I've seen is a clamp that locks in place over the lid of the tank. They're in Armour Locks in the Eyre square Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

The original posting talked about oil being robbed in Barna, I have heard of this too in Barna area(Galway). Also heard of it happening in Castlebar. I was told they drill through the plastic of the tank and take it out that way. They dont bother to pump it out through the cap. Putting a lock on tank wont stop them. Nearly have to put the tank in a cage or something.

I see someone mentioned a dog, I have heard of using a bitch in heat to distract a guard dog. They seem to have a work around for for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mbiking123 wrote: »

I see someone mentioned a dog, I have heard of using a bitch in heat to distract a guard dog. They seem to have a work around for for everything.

They better hope my bitch is a lesbian so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think you better think about exchanging the Rothweiler for a Husky if youre planning to leave the poor animal outside guarding your oil in this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Best bet is probably a CCTV camera - even a dummy one, pointed at your tank. That way they'll know/think you're srs bsns about it.

I can't see this happening much in urban areas, even at night time. What sort of container do they put your oil into once they've stolen it off ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

A few months ago my brother in laws parents oil got stolen from there garden in Renmore under the cover of nightfall. His parents are in their 70's too. Scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

oilman wrote: »
    your average house burner uses 4.5 litres per hour so you shoul be able to work out how much you are really using

are you sure this is correct?

in that case I have just bought myself 12 days of oil at the enormous sum of 500 Euro (having heat on for 12 hours per day). 700 litres.

That seems a bit much. ARe you sure that calculation is correct? also. surely when the house is already warm the amount of litres reducers per hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

klipdrift wrote: »
    Hi,

No cracks, no leaks, installation only 12mths old. Filler cap removed and then replaced without securing pin. Pissed off is an understatement.

The rotwiller is on his way from Kildare as we speak. He will be treated like a god and will eat thieves like a king.

:).

A dog won't be much use to you in this weather, you can't expect to leave them outside to freeze for your security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

What sort of container do they put your oil into once they've jewed it off ya?

A cousin of mine had his stolen, his site backs onto a field, his tank is close to the boundary. It happened only a few days after he filled it, so he reckons they're either following the tankers around or they have an inside man.

Anyway they pulled into the field with a van right next to the ditch. He thinks they must have a tank in the back of the van and a pump to transfer it. He could see their tracks in the field the next day.

He was in the house that night and he didn't hear a sound either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Bear in mind that if your dog bites a thief you get sued & the dog gets destroyed. Irish law does not accept the idea of guard dogs. If any dog bites any person it can be put down even if the "victim" doesn't want this.

I know my thread is quiet old now....!, but just before Christmas there were some non nationals "Interviewed" by Gardi who were in rented accommadation not far away (.5km) from my house..........and I believe the interview revolved around the theft of heating oil...!

Umm i wonder if...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

our oil was stolen just before christmas,living in tara grove,anyone else in that area have their oil stolen,just out of curiosity?

mumto3, i had to move my oil tank into the garage under lock and key, and there it will stay for the considerable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

There are theives following around the delivery trucks to see where they go.

Also, as I found out first hand (I'll PM you the company if you want to know) there is one comapny where their drivers aren't filling the tanks up to what they tell you, so you'll run out of oil 10 times faster than you think !

Advertisement