Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Lens, New Body?

• 09-02-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi I just had a quick query about old camera lenses. I was gifted a very old Olympus (OM 10 - 1979) SLR with these lenses:

Miranda 70mm-210mm 1:4.5 - 5.6 macro, Vivitar 35-75mm and 3 interlocking/changable Vivitar 20mm, 12mm, 36mm. Also came with a Miranda 400-CB flash (and a Canon bag lol)

If I were to buy a new DSLR body would these work? Or is it only a case of DSLR lenses fit other DSLR if you get me.

I am looking into buying a new DSLR because (although I'm no professional) I do prefer manual settings for photos & will be going travelling so like to have more control over my images without hauling reels of film.

If it is not likely they work is something along the Canon EOS 1000D along my lines for my needs? (which are basic DSLR, around the 10 mega pix, not too flashy, easy to use that takes good pictures but not professional needed).

If they do happento be ok with a new body are those old lenses sufficient for what I want to use camera for? (Going to Nepal first hence the wanting a decent camera).

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

You can get an OM adaptor to fit old OM lenses to new Four Thirds cameras, you would have to manually focus and (I think) metering would only work in aperture priority mode.

If you were going to get an Olympus body, you'd be much better off getting the kit lens (14-42) along with it as its almost given away (adds about €50 to the price) and its a super lens for the price. You'd still get use from the old lenses, and if you bought the E520 they'd be stabilised as well.

Some of the other guys will have some more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

Hi nilhg,

Thanks very much for the info. Good to know I'll be able to use the old lens as they really do give fantastic results on the SLR. I've had a look at the E520 and the specifications which seems to be spot on what I'm after. I shall have to hunt around for the best price (& yes with lens is a better deal!) and for the adaptor :)

Advertisement