Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street fighter 4 players

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 x_jaw

Hi Guys, i'm up for a few games.....

nightcaller30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Placebo wrote: »
    also look out for overhead attacks, you maybe pressing back and down to block but if ken/ryu jump slightly over you to the other side and kick then your block will break, in that case you need to quickly block on the other side, i.e hold forward as they jump over

Overheads and crossups are different, they have the same properties because they force you to stand and block instead of the way people usually tend to use d/b for blocking. What you're talking about is a crossup. Overheads for example, Ryu ~ forward+MP, Viper ~ forward+MP, Ken ~ back+MK (as far as i remember) are just normal commands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

my controller is completely borked already :(

completely refuses to go in the direction i tell it to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Helix wrote: »
    my controller is completely borked already :(

completely refuses to go in the direction i tell it to

a 360 one or zee mad catz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Ok guys, is it wrong to pick Ken?? I ask this because since I first saw his super in Marvel vs Capcom 2 I've only ever picked him in any SF games. I spent hours upon hours with him in Capcom vs SNK 2 (phenomenal game btw). Being honest, the first character I picked in SF2 was Guile, but I quickly moved on from him.

It's just that there seems to be a stigma attached to picking one of the shotos. When you see someone pick Ken, what do you think? Does that opinion change if they can focus cancel from a shoryuken to a shoryureppa (still workin on that :o)

Also, someone posted that Ryu is stronger than Ken in this. It's now a given that Sagat is strongest in the game, but where is the source for this info??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

When I see someone pick Ken, I usually expect an agressive game so I play accordingly.

As you said, Sagat is the best character in the game. Thats my personal opinion, but is one that is common across many forums. Also, the official Prima SF4 guide ranks him as Number 1.

Sagat is Rank S (Top tier)

Ryu, Bison, Zangief, Blanka, Fei Long and maybe one more is Rank A

Ken and Akuma are Rank B.

I have just started playing Zangief and Bison after years of not really trying. Am very happy so far. Zangiefs moves are so powerful-he has about 20% more health than Ken/Ryu and 50% more than Akuma! I used to play Fei Long alot and he is great in SF4-I actually prefer him to Ryu/Ken a the moment.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    When I see someone pick Ken, I usually expect an agressive game so I play accordingly.

As you said, Sagat is the best character in the game. Thats my personal opinion, but is one that is common across many forums. Also, the official Prima SF4 guide ranks him as Number 1.

Sagat is Rank S (Top tier)

Ryu, Bison, Zangief, Blanka, Fei Long and maybe one more is Rank A

Ken and Akuma are Rank B.

I have just started playing Zangief and Bison after years of not really trying. Am very happy so far. Zangiefs moves are so powerful-he has about 20% more health than Ken/Ryu and 50% more than Akuma! I used to play Fei Long alot and he is great in SF4-I actually prefer him to Ryu/Ken a the moment.

Many thanks for that. I may actually invest in the guide... Would you (or anyone else) recommend it??

Many thanks for that. I may actually invest in the guide... Would you (or anyone else) recommend it??

I'm sure if you looked on the web, you'd get alot of similar information.

Having said that, it's beautifully put together and has lots of great tips and tricks for new players to intermediate players. There's also frame tables that many advanced players would find interesting.

I'd definately recommend it.

Ok guys, is it wrong to pick Ken?? I ask this because since I first saw his super in Marvel vs Capcom 2 I've only ever picked him in any SF games. I spent hours upon hours with him in Capcom vs SNK 2 (phenomenal game btw). Being honest, the first character I picked in SF2 was Guile, but I quickly moved on from him.

It's just that there seems to be a stigma attached to picking one of the shotos. When you see someone pick Ken, what do you think? Does that opinion change if they can focus cancel from a shoryuken to a shoryureppa (still workin on that :o)

Also, someone posted that Ryu is stronger than Ken in this. It's now a given that Sagat is strongest in the game, but where is the source for this info??

It's not wrong to pick Ken or any shoto for that matter. Ken is ranked just outside the top 10 in SFIV.

If I see somebody picking Ken, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, he isn't that much of a problem to play against, only thing I'm afraid of is his kara throw and fierce srk -> focus attack dash cancel. Oh and his overheads.

All these newcomers to Street Fighter IV pick Ken because of his character design and moveset. (must be that fierce dragon punch!)

Oh and Ryu is ranked in the top 5 in this game, not surprising really, seeming as though this game plays more like ST, Ryu was the best character in that game. (well close between him and Dhalsim)

If you read up on the shoryuken forums about Sagat, you will know just how good he is. All i can say is Tiger Knee is ridic.

SFIV Tier List

Played Helix and the Witch last night. Good games to both of you :)

Had played the Witch on SF3 and his ability to use Chun Li and Cammy has transitioned very well to SF4. In SF3, he beat me about 17-3!

He played Chun Li, Cammy, Sakura and Rose while I was playing Sagat, Fei Long, Bison, Guile, Zangief and a little Ryu/Ken. Very good games and I'm happy that I ran him close on occasion. I think we must have played 40 games, and I reckon I won about 15 of them so not a bad return.

Learned alot. The level of player online is low at the moment and I have become to accustomed to my crossover>FP>FP Shoryuken connecting. Against players like the Witch, you get hammered for missing it so you stop using it.

For the first time ever, I tried to play Ryu like I see the top players on Youtube. So for one game, lots of fireballs, no Shoryukens except for anti-air and making sure I leave no room for a counter. Was probably the only time I came close to beating him with Ryu!

And all with the 360 analog. There were a few times I didnt input an Ultra where I should have hit which makes me think about getting a stick and taking my beating for a few months.

• Advertisement

Played Helix and the Witch last night. Good games to both of you :)

Had played the Witch on SF3 and his ability to use Chun Li and Cammy has transitioned very well to SF4. In SF3, he beat me about 17-3!

He played Chun Li, Cammy, Sakura and Rose while I was playing Sagat, Fei Long, Bison, Guile, Zangief and a little Ryu/Ken. Very good games and I'm happy that I ran him close on occasion. I think we must have played 40 games, and I reckon I won about 15 of them so not a bad return.

Learned alot. The level of player online is low at the moment and I have become to accustomed to my crossover>FP>FP Shoryuken connecting. Against players like the Witch, you get hammered for missing it so you stop using it.

For the first time ever, I tried to play Ryu like I see the top players on Youtube. So for one game, lots of fireballs, no Shoryukens except for anti-air and making sure I leave no room for a counter. Was probably the only time I came close to beating him with Ryu!

It was fun! I'm still getting used to this game but I have to say, probably my favourite Street Fighter game ever, close in 2nd would be ST.

You should work on your poking btw, I noticed you poke alot better with Fei than shoto's. Don't limit yourself to sweep with them, they have good pressure.

I know, it felt like it was going on forever. It must have been over 40 games I'd say.

What characters did Helix play btw? I've yet to play him.

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    It was fun! I'm still getting used to this game but I have to say, probably my favourite Street Fighter game ever, close in 2nd would be ST.

You should work on your poking btw, I noticed you poke alot better with Fei than shoto's. Don't limit yourself to sweep with them, they have good pressure.

I know, it felt like it was going on forever. It must have been over 40 games I'd say.

What characters did Helix play btw? I've yet to play him.

Lol, your Chun Li is rediculous if you are given any room to attack! Like playing a blur. Regarding the poking, its something I'm trying to work into my game especially crouching MK>hadoken with the Shotos. Thanks for the advice, if you have any more on how I can improve, feel free to add. The first game was rediculous, you blocked about 5 shoryukens and I was duly punished for doing it.

Helix played Ken iirc. We only had 5-6 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ntlbell wrote: »
    a 360 one or zee mad catz?

mad catz one is out of stock til june according to play

Lol, your Chun Li is rediculous if you are given any room to attack! Like playing a blur. Regarding the poking, its something I'm trying to work into my game especially crouching MK>hadoken with the Shotos. Thanks for the advice, if you have any more on how I can improve, feel free to add. The first game was rediculous, you blocked about 5 shoryukens and I was duly punished for doing it.

Haha, she has good tools what can I say!

Main areas to work on would be spacing and poking. You don't seem to have a problem inputting commands, which is good and I don't know how you don't when you're using that crappy 360 controller!

I know, I'm used to getting shoryu'd when I first started playing ST so I look for shoryu's all the time when playing against shoto's. They like to do them on wakeup alot so It's better to stay defensive. So you see a shoryu, block and punish accordingly. :pac:

Ah okay, I'll have to play him then.

Think it was The Witch who pointed this out earlier, but if you get good enough you can focus cancel the shoryuken the quickly backward dash to safety... You have to respect a game that's designed for the most basic and at the same time most advanced fighting! Missing the shoryuken is always met with punishment from the good players :) I'm usually on the receiving end of such pain.

Also, with regard to the standard online; it's pretty poor, because I'm winning more than losing, and when anyone on here fights me you'll see that shouldn't be happening. ;)

Think it was The Witch who pointed this out earlier, but if you get good enough you can focus cancel the shoryuken the quickly backward dash to safety... You have to respect a game that's designed for the most basic and at the same time most advanced fighting! Missing the shoryuken is always met with punishment from the good players :) I'm usually on the receiving end of such pain.

Also, with regard to the standard online; it's pretty poor, because I'm winning more than losing, and when anyone on here fights me you'll see that shouldn't be happening. ;)

Focus has opened up so many strategies. With Ken, its cool to knock someone down, charge a focus but cancel backwards at the last second so they miss their dragon puch, then dash back in to connect with an Ultra :D

My two goals for this game in terms of character training are to...

1) Practice with all S and A tier characters-I'm looking to get better with Bison, Zangief, Sagat and Fei Long

2) Completely retrain with Ryu/Ken and try to mimic the top styles of play. For years I have played Ken, but he just doesn't cut it at the very top level. So hoping to get really good with Ryu instead.

True, you can fadc the srk ONLY if you have 2 stock of ex meter. It's good coz you can dash forward for pressure or back if you think they will try a reversal which = punishment.

The online is fairly good with the right connection. When it's bad, it's completely unplayable. :/ I wouldn't put yourself down, you're more than likely only new to the game and are playing against people of your own level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

I really like the game, but I find it hard at times its really wise to go into practice mode and start training, hmmm I should really follow my own advice , I suck at the game

I know there are probably many new players of SF here who don't understand certain concepts, abbreviations or phrases that some of the more experienced players use.

Don't be afraid to ask, and people will explain it to you! We all had to start sometiome!

Focus has opened up so many strategies. With Ken, its cool to knock someone down, charge a focus but cancel backwards at the last second so they miss their dragon puch, then dash back in to connect with an Ultra :D

My two goals for this game in terms of character training are to...

1) Practice with all S and A tier characters-I'm looking to get better with Bison, Zangief, Sagat and Fei Long

2) Completely retrain with Ryu/Ken and try to mimic the top styles of play. For years I have played Ken, but he just doesn't cut it at the very top level. So hoping to get really good with Ryu instead.

I like how the focus attack can be used. It's very rewarding to land one but when you fail one, you take a fair amount of damage.

You should stick to one character and learn them inside out. I'm going to do that with either Cammy or Viper. It's a hard decision. Cammy is alot easier to use compared to Viper, but I always like a challenge so I need to make my mind up. I don't know how I'd feel playing a character like Viper, she is so difficult, It's going to be a struggle. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I am completely unskilled at the game (playing last night with Burning Eclipse above) what is the one bit of advice you guys would give to someone "fresh" to the game.

See, this is what I'm afraid of. I've a good friend, he's always picked Ryu (with some forays into Bison-land) and I've always picked Ken, but all the advice I'm seeing says Ryu is just stronger, so should I make the swap?

It's Ken's Super and Ultra that are my problem; superficial I know, but I just love how they look! Mainly the Ultra: it's almost like an orgasmic mix of the Shippu Jinraikyaku and the Shinryuken...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Where would be the best place to get me hands on this game lads? I used to be addicted to Street Fighter II on the snes and haven't played it in years!

Vegeta wrote: »
    I am completely unskilled at the game (playing last night with Burning Eclipse above) what is the one bit of advice you guys would give to someone "fresh" to the game.

Best advice to give you would be to read up on the game. The Shoryuken Forums is the best place to start. You should choose a character that you want to stick with and learn how to combo with them, combos are part of the game so they're 100% needed. Watch videos, lots of videos of top players playing. You would be surprised how much you learn. And another thing, execution, can't stress how important execution is in SF games.

Beef wrote: »
    Where would be the best place to get me hands on this game lads? I used to be addicted to Street Fighter II on the snes and haven't played it in years!

GAME are selling it for €40. I seen it there yesterday.

I like how the focus attack can be used. It's very rewarding to land one but when you fail one, you take a fair amount of damage.

You should stick to one character and learn them inside out. I'm going to do that with either Cammy or Viper. It's a hard decision. Cammy is alot easier to use compared to Viper, but I always like a challenge so I need to make my mind up. I don't know how I'd feel playing a character like Viper, she is so difficult, It's going to be a struggle. :/

Just noticed from your sig, you always play as the female characters in fighters. I'm usually the very same (SC: Talim, Ivy, DOA: Ayane, Kasumi), but strangely SF bucks the trend, I've never picked the female chars with the exception of Morrigan in CvS2... Love her :D

See, this is what I'm afraid of. I've a good friend, he's always picked Ryu (with some forays into Bison-land) and I've always picked Ken, but all the advice I'm seeing says Ryu is just stronger, so should I make the swap?

It's Ken's Super and Ultra that are my problem; superficial I know, but I just love how they look! Mainly the Ultra: it's almost like an orgasmic mix of the Shippu Jinraikyaku and the Shinryuken...

Ryu is stronger, he has a better ultra, a hadoken, an overhead that can link into cr. mk or sweep.

It shouldn't be, who is stronger/better, It's who you want to get good with. Any character can be top tier, it depends how you play them. Ken is still good, he has some nice combos at least. ;)

Just noticed from your sig, you always play as the female characters in fighters. I'm usually the very same (SC: Talim, Ivy, DOA: Ayane, Kasumi), but strangely SF bucks the trend, I've never picked the female chars with the exception of Morrigan in CvS2... Love her :D

Yes, I always play as females in every single fighting game I play. More fun to play I suppose.

You should learn Cammy in that case, she has a srk like Ken. :)

Ah I like Morrigan too, in Vampire Savior I prefer Lilith though.

In CVS2 it's all about Hibiki. She is alot of fun to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i read the manual on way to work today and yeah you can focus out of a block attack but im sure it has to be at an early stage as the opponent needs to benefit from your mistake,
    its gonna be amazing once the pros start releasing videos on how to use focus attacks on a superior level.

• Advertisement

Ryu is stronger, he has a better ultra, a hadoken, an overhead that can link into cr. mk or sweep.

It shouldn't be, who is stronger/better, It's who you want to get good with. Any character can be top tier, it depends how you play them. Ken is still good, he has some nice combos at least. ;)

Then it is decided, Ken ftw :)
    Yes, I always play as females in every single fighting game I play. More fun to play I suppose.

You should learn Cammy in that case, she has a srk like Ken. :)

Ah I like Morrigan too, in Vampire Savior I prefer Lilith though.

In CVS2 it's all about Hibiki. She is alot of fun to play.

Cammy you say... I'll get cracking tonight so! ;)

Advertisement