Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up website help please

Options
  • 09-02-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

Im trying to help out my brother at the moment.

A few years ago his employee kindly set up a very basic website for his business, its on his own dedicated server.

So I would like take this website and host it ourselves, so has to have full control of it.

Im toying with the idea of buying a server, or would it be just much simpler to get a web hosting company.

I did computers in college, so i'm a little techie, but to be honest dont know much atall about web hosting or design.

any advice please

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Get a webhosting company, it is much cheaper and you don't need to deal with the headache if the server goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

You'd be nuts to run your own server - hosting costs have gone through the floor so there is no reason to give yourself the expense and security headaches of running your own server, not to mention managing the DNS, mail server etc.

Good luck with the site!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Bluefrog wrote: »
    You'd be nuts to run your own server - hosting costs have gone through the floor so there is no reason to give yourself the expense and security headaches of running your own server, not to mention managing the DNS, mail server etc.

Good luck with the site!
    +1 - Go with a web host, much cheaper and safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 littlepuddycat

Does anyone know the best way to go about setting up a website its not for business . im going to africa in september and wanted to set up asite to show the whole preparation and the drive across and then enable me to post journals and photos for family to keep in touch on. ive looked up digiweb and other ones but i thought it was straight forward until i started looking around and seeing all stuff about hosting linux etc im confused now as i dont know what i need exactly if anyone can help please

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

@littlepuddycat

TBH it sounds like you just need to set up a free blog site, rather than bothering with some custom site. Somewhere you can log in and add text and pics at will. Google ("free blog") and you'll find a dozen free options.

Even a Facebook account would let you do all that, while letting you network with people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Does anyone know the best way to go about setting up a website its not for business . im going to africa in september and wanted to set up asite to show the whole preparation and the drive across and then enable me to post journals and photos for family to keep in touch on. ive looked up digiweb and other ones but i thought it was straight forward until i started looking around and seeing all stuff about hosting linux etc im confused now as i dont know what i need exactly if anyone can help please

This is what you need http://www.getjealous.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I was going to suggest http://www.blogger.com/ but getjealous seems to be be a better option for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 slambe

Can anyone help? I have set up Tomcat on port 80 with a JSP app running and can access it via http://localhost/myapp/.

I am now trying to access it via the internet - have set ip forwarding for Web Server on my BT Voyager 240 Router. I have determined my current ip address to the outside world (and can use it to access my router), but when I try http://myExternalIP/myapp/ I get "Authentication Failed" page which appears to come from the BT router (the source for the page mentions bt).

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KilgoreTrout

@slambe

Did you get that resolved yet? Would be interested to do the same.

Advertisement