Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are BT actively throttling?

Options
  • 09-02-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I am currently on a BT 8MB package since last summer. Lord knows things were annoying enough with our connection after it was consistently disconnecting last July, so we had a new line run in from the curb into the house which resolved the problem.

Now over the past week our internet connectivity has plummeted to the following.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=72517&stc=1&d=1234213413

Some of the tests have yielded <5% QOS.
    I am not a heavy downloader, maybe averaging 20GB/month as most of my downloading is done in college.

So has anyone else been having similar issues as of late in the D15 area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Yep i'm the same. Although if you retry a speedtest early in the morning you'll probably find its a lot better. Its usually bad till the early hours here. But i'm not sure its related to contention as tonight i managed to get 4mb at around 6.30pm which is pretty much peak time. And who is on the internet at 2 or 3 in the morning when it still remains bad?

This page will tell you if you're being throttled - http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you download too much they have been known to throttle your connection, I suggest you use the search option

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Do you know if you are getting broadband through the Pelletstown exchange? It supplies the D15 area. It supplies my broadband and I only get a max of 50KB\s during peak times and I'm paying for a 3 meg line.

At the moment it cant deal with the amount of users connected to it and it due an upgrade in March 09.

See this link for more info: http://www.neighbours.ie/royalcanalpark/showthread.php?t=466

Nice find, yea i'm the pelletstown exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

looks like that might be it then, but just FYI, with the 7.6mbps service they will throttle you if you go over 90-100gb download in any rolling 30 day period afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DoveBirkoff

I know for sure that I'll be a "heavy user" due to my freelance profession as film editor which involve a large amount of data to download/upload.

Depending on the month, I would go over 100GB of download data (estimation based on December '08 in my formal address with NTL.(not available now).

Does any one of you know, how down goes this download limit?

Because I don't mind if, from 24mb (best dreams) goes to half of the speed or down to 8Mb, but a connexion less than 8Mb is not what I'm looking for since would be "useless" for my purposes.

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

can you remember back to the days of ISDN? :(

i'm not on BT any more (partly for this reason) but when I was (only back in November last year) the deal was that they throttle you to 100kbps or thereabouts which majorly sucks.

not sure if there's something new for the new year or not, but if there's not then you might be stuck, although if this is your business you can see if the business broadband service would get around that limitation (I had planned on it, but BT cocked up my move to business broadband (twice) and i ended up leaving them in favour of ntl).

in any case, it would be well worth ringing and checking with them, just explain your usage patterns and your business requirements etc. and they should be able to tell you what the story is with throttling, if it even exists on the business packages.

i just hope you have more luck actually getting it than I dod. :)

Yep you'd be looking at a download speed of around 10KB/s when throttled, i know from experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

hi guys,

I am in D15 too - any idea how I find out what exchange I am on ?
    Also any idea how I might check how much I have downloaded in the last month ?

Thanks
    Rob

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I am on the pathetic speed of the pelletstown exchange too. One thing I do notice though is that my download/upload meter hasn't moved for February at all yet, both are still listed as 0. I didn't think it was worthy of a new thread, but is anyone else getting this? Not that there is any danger of me exceeding my 30gb limit at these speeds anyways. I'm getting around 10% of the speed I should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i'm only getting about 1 meg on my supposedly 24 meg connection and i'm not over my limit as confirmed on the usage page. i'm in D15.
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

RobAMerc wrote: »
    hi guys,

I am in D15 too - any idea how I find out what exchange I am on ?

Thanks
    Rob

Hi Rob,
    After clicking this link enter you numnber and it should tell you.

http://www.btireland.ie/check_exchange

Advertisement