Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

April Start Date

• 09-02-2009 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Im in for april. Well pleased. Its not really sunk in yet. Hope some of you other boardies will be joining me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

congrats, whats the exact date?!!??

bit early for the calls going out is it not!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

Well done!!! u get the call today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

bastard. i wanted to start this thread. oh well ill settle for postin an im in msg so fingers crossed i get the call.

well done cpn, when u get the call?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

Well done, thats amazing, I am so pleased for you.

Our squad night be showing you around the place.

Just wait until you get your pack, the excitment will really kick in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cpn

Dont have the specific date, was told it would be april and that I would get another call closer to the time and my information pack in the post in due course.

Happy days:D

• Advertisement

that sounds dodgey. has this happened to anyone else? did u call up external appointments to confirm this? wot time did they call? are there anymore questions i can ask? what did i have for lunch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

Well done! How did you find out? Sounds a bit odd they didn't give you a date. Would be warry of friends playing a joke on you!

kelso69 wrote: »
    Well done! How did you find out? Sounds a bit odd they didn't give you a date. Would be warry of friends playing a joke on you!

Defo not a joke. Cant really go into details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

By my calculations the April start date should be the 12th. Maybe they didnt specify a date due to the new financial year starting in April. Maybe they have to wait to get more funds for the training from April onwards. Im probably wrong but at least it sounds logic:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Kelz

hmm that sounds a bit random...

what merit number / background are ya cpn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Congrats CPN. Does seem kinda odd they've not given you a specific date... but u seem sure it is real so congrats!! :D

Seems quite early to be phoning for April, but they might have a good reason for calling you. Like I've said a million times... who the hell knows what's going on in their office! :confused:

Anyway, roll on the calls for more boardies now!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

Cpn,
    Congrat's on getting selected - this wasn't a referred date was it? I only ask as I had to ring up today to clarify some details with recruitment and I asked if it would be ammended before calls for april finish as i believed they may have started and I was told no calls had taken place and wouldn't be untill closer to the time?

Still if your in - your in. I'm sure you'll get a call soon enough to clarify your starting date, again well done and good luck.

1979sd

Kelz wrote: »
    hmm that sounds a bit random...

what merit number / background are ya cpn?

Non rc 70-80. There is a story behind it but as ive said I wont go into it. I should have been on an earlier intake but their was a misunderstanding.

cpn wrote: »
    got the call
    I got the call today.

Then, because of a descrepancy in my address they have to re vet me. I cant believe it. Im absolutely gutted. I had to take a half day from workfrown.gif

is this to do with this? i remeber you said this before. well dun lad bet your well chuffed. do you know when the calls officially go out? i reckon around the first week march as like pyg ses the start date shud be 12th april. 6 weeks before this is about 2-3 weeks time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

Penis Eye wrote: »
    is this to do with this? i remeber you said this before. well dun lad bet your well chuffed. do you know when the calls officially go out? i reckon around the first week march as like pyg ses the start date shud be 12th april. 6 weeks before this is about 2-3 weeks time!

They went out earlier than 6 weeks before the Match intake. If it follows the same pattern we should see calls start from next Thursday.

Bingo! CID are short staffed at the min I hear. With those detective skills you would be onto a winner... Yea basically I got the call in Dec and had to be re vetted. I found out that my re-vetting went through ok and that I would be on the next intake (provided I dont move house again or anything silly like that:)) I suppose my case was more like a deferral because I knew my re-vetting would not be a problem hence my place was fairly secure.

As for the 'official' call/date I should imagine it will come in the next couple of weeks.

Apologies for being so cloak and dagger btw

well that would explain why youve got the call before everyone else. sort of the same situation as a deferral.

And logically they can only give u your registration and start date whenever it is finalised on their part. they dont seem to plan too far in advance.

Congrats anyway! good to get it sorted. celebrations all round?

Well that sounds just like whoever it was who got a deferral to July. Congrats and I'll see ya in GV - probably holding a random door open for ya!! :D

And you needn't apologise for being cloak and dagger. We're all applying for the same job and understand confidentiality and the need for keeping information to oneself :)

DownMTBer wrote: »
    Well that sounds just like whoever it was who got a deferral to July :D

u talkin bout me? :rolleyes: :D

Maura2145 wrote: »
    u talkin bout me? :rolleyes: :D

Might be... who's askin? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

...umm...penis eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

Last calls went out around 8 weeks prior to starting - so hopefully calls could commence from next week if my calender is right!
    Squeeky bum time......

1979SD wrote: »
    Squeeky bum time......

what does this mean?!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

Maura2145 wrote: »
    what does this mean?!!:confused:
    Thats exactly what I was wondering:confused:.

Yeah I got my call about a week early. I told the girl on the phone she was early through squels and she just laughed. I think they do it on purpose to surprise us all.

Yea folks to be honest im over the moon. It is such a difficult process and I completly sympathise with everyone who is stuck in limbo land waiting for some concrete information.

The boards have been a real help and it will be good to be able to meet some of you in GV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

cpn wrote: »
    Yea folks to be honest im over the moon. It is such a difficult process and I completly sympathise with everyone who is stuck in limbo land waiting for some concrete information.

The boards have been a real help and it will be good to be able to meet some of you in GV!

It must have been frustrating to have your call taken away from you for december. And to think it took a few months to vet just one address! My vetting is gonna take AGES :(. Well done though cpn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

Ali08 wrote: »
    It must have been frustrating to have your call taken away from you for december. And to think it took a few months to vet just one address! My vetting is gonna take AGES :(. Well done though cpn!
    ach it shouldnt be that much longer lyk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Congratulations cpn. Just don't go moving house in the next couple of months! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Cant see April intake commencing on 12th...isnt that Easter Sunday?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Sorry CPN, what I came on here to say was Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

I really hope I'm on this thread in next 2-3weeks, with a nice call my way! doubtful, vetting was ongoing at very start of Feb!:(

Everything Crossed!;) The heap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Folks,
    I have deleted 10 posts on this thread alone that are totally of topic. I realise that sometimes a thread can go slightly off topic here and there or the thread may even take on a different but still relavent theme. However a thread taken off topic by some posters is not fair on other people. If you want to chat about something then take it the General Thread, chat on your profiles or PM each other.

The ES forum has gotten alot busier over time to such an extent that Mods cannot read all posts so from now on posters will now be infracted and/or banned for off topicness. Its not something I want to do but I feel it is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

Cant see April intake commencing on 12th...isnt that Easter Sunday?:)

Err...Why?

PSNI working 365 days a year..

Get used to working when everyone else is off guy's..If you can't handle that, this aint the job for you.

Err...Why?

PSNI working 365 days a year..

Get used to working when everyone else is off guy's..If you can't handle that, this aint the job for you.

I wonder if it could have something to do with the next day being a statutory holiday, which they HAVE to give off or end up making it up at another time?

Or perhaps its to be sensistive to the religious beliefs of people who might find it highly inappropriate and offensive to be forced to work on one of the most important days in the christian calander?

There are good reasons for people asking that sort of question and it doesn't necessarily mean they're looking to join a job that 'aint for them' cos they don't wanna work it. I am quite sure people are well aware of the police working 365 days of the year :)

Just my 2 cents :D

• Advertisement

I wonder if it could have something to do with the next day being a statutory holiday, which they HAVE to give off or end up making it up at another time?

Or perhaps its to be sensistive to the religious beliefs of people who might find it highly inappropriate and offensive to be forced to work on one of the most important days in the christian calander?

Seriously, if anyone thinks these two points are relevant to them..Get another job, this one is not for you!!

Seriously, if anyone thinks these two points are relevant to them..Get another job, this one is not for you!!

*Snip*

Yeah ur right. I'm sure they'll force us to work all statutory holidays for the next 6 months and then be forced to give us them all off in the last 3 months of the year.

How could I have been so stupid? I'd better withdraw my place in GV right now...

You know what... I don't want to get into an argument on a sodding forum so you have your opinion and i'll have mine and let recruitment and the applicants decide who and who shouldn't be applying for this job; ur usually more helpful and constructive with your comments :)

Edit:

You know what, whatever...

Edit:

You know what, whatever...

THAT's more like it! FFS what does it take to construct a proper argument.

All I wanted was for you to give us a sensible reason for why April would start on Easter Sunday and not just 'get another job'.

And for your information my entire family ARE seargents in PSNI so if I really wanted to discuss this I could do it with people who are far more qualified than yourself :D

Thanks for correcting me and now you mention it I believe that I remember their being clauses in legislation that do not include police within statutory holidays.

All I was hoping was that you might give potential April intakes some kind of definitive answer regarding when their start date is likely to be :)

EDIT: lol where'd ur post go...!! It was actually helpful unlike your first one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

I think there is a difference between people saying they doubt there will be an intake starting on Easter Sunday and saying they would refuse to work on Easter Sunday. It doesn't mean they need to rethink joining the PSNI - that would only be true if someone were refusing to work on certain days, don't you think?

• Advertisement

Police are fight Stoppers, not Fight starters.;)

I think there is a difference between people saying they doubt there will be an intake starting on Easter Sunday and saying they would refuse to work on Easter Sunday. It doesn't mean they need to rethink joining the PSNI - that would only be true if someone were refusing to work on certain days, don't you think?

Exactly what I was trying to say MBC thanks :)

The point is he is actually right about them starting the intake on Easter Sunday but the one useful piece of information he posted he then went and deleted :(

i wish carlty wasnt in the march intake as we could have got him to ring up for us and ask recruitment when the april start date is! oh well someone else'll have to do it. any takers? new recruit? cpn? downmtber? (also i no im a bit late on the name convo but i thought downmtber was short for Down Empty Beer and i thought u were a party animal)

Police are fight Stoppers, not Fight starters.;)

LOL ;) Seriously I wasn't trying to start a fight. It's just I'm sure you can remember what it was like waiting to get in GV (I knew you have been through training and were a probationary constable btw) and I didn't think 'get another job' was very helpful to their stress levels :)

No harm intended :)

i wish carlty wasnt in the march intake as we could have got him to ring up for us and ask recruitment when the april start date is! oh well someone else'll have to do it. any takers? new recruit? cpn? downmtber? (also i no im a bit late on the name convo but i thought downmtber was short for Down Empty Beer and i thought u were a party animal)

Who says I'm not!!

Just for the record I believe New Recruit is right... his post I quoted that he deleted actually gave the facts as to why they most likely WILL begin the training on Easter Sunday. And I don't disagree with them. I just disagreed with telling someone who didn't know those facts (including myself until he reminded me) they should apply for another job :D

Exactly what I was trying to say MBC thanks :)

The point is he is actually right about them starting the intake on Easter Sunday but the one useful piece of information he posted he then went and deleted :(

Makes little odds to me anyway :( I will no doubt be virtually waving everyone off from the sidelines while typing messages to myself on the board just so I don't feel so alone :D

Who says I'm not!!

Just for the record I believe New Recruit is right... his post I quoted that he deleted actually gave the facts as to why they most likely WILL begin the training on Easter Sunday. And I don't disagree with them. I just disagreed with telling someone who didn't know those facts (including myself until he reminded me) they should apply for another job :D

I think it is time we change the subject and move on. Silly boys:)

What the hell does your user name mean DownMtBer, It has really always confused me.

LMAO Down Empty Beer - how did I miss that one. Ahhhhh the old brain just isn't as quick as it used to be :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Downhill mountain biker?

Ah the penny has just dropped:):rolleyes::o

• Advertisement
Advertisement