Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers in restaurants

Options
  • 09-02-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

Is there any restaurants in Dublin that have a decent selection of beers? Any place, even a bog standard indian has a half decent wine selection. But what about beers? I wouldn't mind the option of a few decent beers with a meal.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The best beer selection in a proper restaurant is to be found in The Winding Stair at Ha'penny Bridge. It's part of the struggling Thomas Read group so hopefully it's still open. They generally have beers from Carlow Brewing, St Peter's and Shepherd Neame, among others, and great food.

Probably the best beer and food experience to be had in the city is at the Bull & Castle. Downstairs is basically a restaurant in the evenings and they do superb FXB steaks. They also should be able to give competent recommendations for suitable beers to go with your meal.

I understand The Schoolhouse in Ballsbridge prides itself on its beer selection but I've no idea what they have or if it's any good. I know they did carry the fancy Carlsberg Jacobsen range, but I didn't think much of those beers.

And I quite enjoy the Basque beers they serve at The Port House and Pintxo - the Zunbeltz stout and Gorri red both go very well with tapas.

There, that should keep you busy for a while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Hmmm, the winding stair sounds good, it's still open i think. Actually was going to go the school house last week!
    But think the Bull and Castle and the Winding Stair are the ones I want to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Elephant and Castle, in Temple Bar, usually has a handful of hard to find American Micro Brews, like Goose Island IPA and Anchor Steam.
    Plus, you get to eat their delicious chicken wings.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Elephant and Castle, in Temple Bar, usually has a handful of hard to find American Micro Brews, like Goose Island IPA and Anchor Steam.
    They do O'Hara's Stout too, as does The Farm on Dawson Street.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It really annoys me restaurants which don't do pints just bottles, first I don't like bottled beer and second there tiny :( Really annoys me, so I usually end up drinking coke there & get a 6 pack for home, I know its a little off topic but its related to the whole restaurant-beer thing :pac:.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You're missing out then. Many of the best beers in the world only come in bottles.

I do agree though, that I feel slightly short changed, paying the same price for a 330ml bottle as for a pint of the same beer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Blisterman wrote: »
    You're missing out then. Many of the best beers in the world only come in bottles.

I do agree though, that I feel slightly short changed, paying the same price for a 330ml bottle as for a pint of the same beer.

True a bottle of a nice beer would suit me fine, I was mainly meaning the likes of bottled Heino, Carlsberg, Miller etc... Do prefare cans though as find bottles a bit flat personally...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

yoyo wrote: »
    It really annoys me restaurants which don't do pints just bottles,

They probably may not the turn around to make tit worth will keeping the lines clean

yoyo wrote: »
    True a bottle of a nice beer would suit me fine, I was mainly meaning the likes of bottled Heino, Carlsberg, Miller etc... Do prefare cans though as find bottles a bit flat personally...

Nick

I don't think the thread was really mean to included the mass marked lager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Cheers for the answers lads. Bull and Castle it is. Only had my first O'Hara's at christmas, really nice beer.

I know what yoyo is talking about, in the usual restaurants where you get a beer it's just a standard bottle of ken or miller for a fiver. My mate was in a pub (The Church, think it's near Jervis St shopping centre) and he paid €6.50 for a bottle of Miller! Yes, the same miller that you can get for about 75 cent in most supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

6.50!!!! That is nearly as bad as 8 Euro for a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale, in Hartleys restaurant in Dun Laoghaire(fantastic restaurant though)

Brgds
    Johnny

• Advertisement

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    That is nearly as bad as 8 Euro for a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale, in Hartleys restaurant in Dun Laoghaire(fantastic restaurant though)

Really not worth anything near its considering they don't employ brewers just product managers:rolleyes: and its one of (brewery that is) the most souls less place i have ever seen

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The gourmet burger restaurant on temple bar square do some good beers in particular Mac's Gold which is a very nice New Zealand lager (almost a dirty word around these parts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 1carrot2

The people from Mc Hugh's Off-Licence have opened a restaurant in Raheny. They have a few nice beers: Erdinger; Duvel; Chimay; Hoegaarden; Bishops Finger; London Pride; Peroni. The beer list is at the end of their wine list on their website.
    http://www.mchughs.ie/dine
    Very good grub as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

BeerNut wrote: »
    And I quite enjoy the Basque beers they serve at The Port House and Pintxo - the Zunbeltz stout and Gorri red both go very well with tapas.

Ah, are these the Pagoa beers? Do any of the off licenses in town stock these. My other half is Basque but Ive never tried them.

I could be wrong but i think the porter house is importing them

Anoeta wrote:
    are these the Pagoa beers?
    Yep.
    oblivious wrote: »
    I could be wrong but i think the porter house is importing them
    You're not. They're a direct Porterhouse import and, AFAIK, only available in the PH establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yep.

You're not. They're a direct Porterhouse import and, AFAIK, only available in the PH establishments.

Yeah, you can only get them in any of the Porterhouses, Port House on S William Street or Bar Pintxo on Eustace Street. We import them from a small Brewery in the Basque country.

Advertisement