Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in Primary Schools

Options
  • 09-02-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I was wondering if anybody else had noticed racism in primary schools. I used to visit a lot of schools around Cork and although some were great, there were enough schools for me to notice that foreign kids seemed marginalised.

An attitude of - foreign kids should be seen but not heard seemed to be around the place and some teachers and principals seemed to want to divert attention away from the fact that there were a significant number of children that weren't Irish.
    I remember on principal saying that he would prefer me not mentioning that there are children from many different countries in his school.

what the hell is up with that? I don't get how anybody can differentiate between children... it's wrong in adults, but children?

any comment or experiences to share, anybody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I haven't seen it myself and they are a number of different nationalities in my Daughters school and my son's pre school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Leila_Loo

are your children Irish?... sorry for asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Interesting...

I think if you go out looking for evidence of marginalisation then you will find it.

In my opinion, it's impossible to have seamless integration.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Leila_Loo

I wasn't looking for it... that wasn't my function. But I found it all the same.
    Maybe it's not me looking for it but soome people prefering not to see it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Tell someone who the principal and school is, name and shame, if you can't say it here say it to someone who can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

As you heard from cleverer folk than me on other fora where you posted this thread, principals are afraid of "white flight".

Anyway, edu forum anyone?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Tell someone who the principal and school is, name and shame, if you can't say it here say it to someone who can.

Behaviour as advised here will result in an infraction and the topic being deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Leila_Loo wrote: »
    I wasn't looking for it... that wasn't my function. But I found it all the same.
    Maybe it's not me looking for it but soome people prefering not to see it...

What kind of examples of racism? Aside from playing down the proportion of foreign kids (obviously the teachers are listening to Joe Duffy and all the callers who are putting their kids into Gaelscoil).

Most parents would probably disagree with me, but what clartharlear describes as the "white flight" is misguided. In the event that foreign children slow down the class, the final two chapters of Tine Cnámh that your child missed out on is at the very least canceled out by an extra bit of tolerance towards other cultures. Kids learn nothing in primary school anyway.

Advertisement