Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

branding?

• 10-02-2009 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hey does anyone on here have any branding done, im thinking of getting something branded on my left shoulder blade, but as i dont know anybody that has been branded i cant really get any advice on the matter, like where can you get it done it ireland, which is better strike or with a cautery scalpel, or is that just more dependant on the design wanted...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Branding is very touch and go tbh.

Also depends what effect you want, people have different reactions to it.

Places do do it however, no one here will tell you since it isn't entirely legal (gray area in the law)

Best advice is go talk to piercing studios and ask about it <-- hint

Cautery scalpel? cautery pen you mean?

Again depends what 'look' you are after. Cautery pens only burn the areas it touches, where as strike brands vary depending on technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ilostminame

yeah cautery pen...iv seen it called a cuatery scalpel too thought on various sites, i think if i was to get something id go with the pen, from what i can see strike branding tends to spread and widen more has it heals and the pen is better for finer patterns like i want to get done.

didnt know twas illegal, not that that would stop me really, must do some more investigating into it, i live in county limerick like and as far as i know no place around her does it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ugliest

It's illegal?

Huh, ya learn something new everyday. Imo, they don't really turn out great, because the scarring is so unpredicatable. I have one on my nape, and noone would be able to guess what it was. Go to the studios+look at the books. If it's anything with a vague amount of detail, it probably won't turn out well. That said, the more you irritate it, the more it'll rise up, so if it's in an area where it'll get exposed a good bit, it'll rise more.

Mine was done a few years ago though, maybe they've gotten more experience since. But brandings are very unpredictable.

Also, I don't think anywhere around these parts does cuttings, go to exactly the studios you'd imagine would do them and check it out for yourself though ;)

i know you cant expect much detail in them, but i like that like of primitive look, thats the only word i can really think of to describe it, i love scars always have, dont really know why but i do. if i do go ahead with it i think id be getting something like either of these, not this exact patterns like but something along those lines, on my left shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I was witness to a DIY branding before, a massive, tribal-like design from the hip to the lower calf. It was done using a solder iron with a drill-bit hammered into it. Not at all pretty and the results while looking good for a while eventually scabbed over in some places, faded in others and rose massively in some parts. As someone said, keep it simple because it won't look pretty if you don't. It also hurts like balls, the smell in the room reminded me of frying black pudding.

All in all a silly, silly affair. I'd be careful where you get it done, who's doing it and the design you choose.

• Advertisement

oh god no id wouldnt do a diy kinda job on it like that atall proper strike or pen to achieve the best results like..

era pain is managable like id get over that it is supposed to smell pretty rank alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭glennb

okay back to the question i know poeple say ask in a tattoo shop but i live in navan and dont think any1 in true love will no where to look does any1 here have any idea in navan that would do it or even i would go to dublin to get it done and is it expensive to get done or would it be similarprice as a tattoo

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,926 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Linky!!! It's listed here on their price list. They've got a studio in Ashbourne, so maybe try them?

Advertisement