Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are any of you a priest/nun? If not, would you consider it?

• 10-02-2009 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I'd be interested in hearing some christian replies...

Are any of you a priest/nun? If not, would you consider it? Have you ever considered it? If you are a christian and are not a priest, what has stopped you from joining the priesthood?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I did strongly consider going for priesthood when i was 18/19. I'm glad I didn't as it was recommended to do a degree first / get out in the world/ mature/whatever. I did that in science which I loved but always endevoured to further my own knowledge of Catholicism. However this lead to disillusionment with the church and so it is now not an option. In addition, in the meanwhile I have met girl whom I love and marriage and priesthood are incompatible should one become reconciled with ones original religion so its not an option now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Well, I'm a Christian with roughly Baptist/Quaker views, so no priesthood for me. I couldn't handle celibacy either, even if I was a Catholic. I don't think I would have the way with words and oratorical humour necessary to be a teacher (probably the closest thing my denomination has to a priest).

Without any obvious career to walk into after my degree (art student), I intend to work for God in some way. Perhaps working for the homeless, or helping to set up more localised food production in my area, or helping with some sort of mission in Ireland (I don't feel the desire to go abroad). I know, very vague, and without an obvious source of income in most cases, but sure everyone is in that position now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Overblood wrote: »
    If you are a christian and are not a priest, what has stopped you from joining the priesthood?

Not being Catholic probably has something to do with it. :)

Seriously, I believe in the doctrine of the priesthood of all believers - that all genuine Christians are priests in the sight of God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

PDN wrote: »
    Not being Catholic probably has something to do with it. :)

Seriously, I believe in the doctrine of the priesthood of all believers - that all genuine Christians are priests in the sight of God.

What he said... exactly what he said actually. Get out of my head PDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Great reply.

Knowing your skill and limitations iis a humbling and constructive start.

We can help and advise on this?

we are catholic, but we have a whole army of Associates from all churches and none - without whom we could not do even a fraction of what we do for the homeless and abandoned.

Here in Ireland we are linked most with the Salvation Army, for example.

Email me?

anchoresscj at yahoo dot com
    Húrin wrote: »
    Well, I'm a Christian with roughly Baptist/Quaker views, so no priesthood for me. I couldn't handle celibacy either, even if I was a Catholic. I don't think I would have the way with words and oratorical humour necessary to be a teacher (probably the closest thing my denomination has to a priest).

Without any obvious career to walk into after my degree (art student), I intend to work for God in some way. Perhaps working for the homeless, or helping to set up more localised food production in my area, or helping with some sort of mission in Ireland (I don't feel the desire to go abroad). I know, very vague, and without an obvious source of income in most cases, but sure everyone is in that position now.

• Advertisement

Does this refer to RC exclusively, please?

Yes, I am a Nun.

In an Order, not Irish, that is growing and growing now.

Blessings this day, from Ireland

I'd be interested in hearing some christian replies...

Are any of you a priest/nun? If not, would you consider it? Have you ever considered it? If you are a christian and are not a priest, what has stopped you from joining the priesthood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

all genuine Christians are priests in the sight of God.

Do you not think that it would be a handy enough job? A lot of posters on this forum are very religious, wouldn't it be great to work for God and get paid at the same time? (priests get paid don't they?)

Is it just the celibacy part that's holding people back? Where did the idea of priesthood celibacy come from?

Do you not think that it would be a handy enough job? A lot of posters on this forum are very religious, wouldn't it be great to work for God and get paid at the same time? (priests get paid don't they?)

Is it just the celibacy part that's holding people back? Where did the idea of priesthood celibacy come from?

Well, again, not being a Catholic it's obviously not the celibacy part of priesthood that is the main problem - it's the Catholic part of priesthood.

BTW - I already get paid for doing what I love - but I see it as working for God's people as well as working for God.

We know that many early Christian leaders (including Peter and some of the other apostles) were married. I guess celibacy in the Roman Catholic Church developed from a misinterpretation of Paul's teaching about marriage in 1 Corinthians 7, and also in an attempt to bolster the two-tier system whereby clergy and laity are separated.

sorella wrote: »
    Knowing your skill and limitations iis a humbling and constructive start.

We can help and advise on this?

we are catholic, but we have a whole army of Associates from all churches and none - without whom we could not do even a fraction of what we do for the homeless and abandoned.

Here in Ireland we are linked most with the Salvation Army, for example.

Email me?

anchoresscj at yahoo dot com

What a curious irony. I, a Protestant, volunteer for the SVP and you, a Catholic, work for the Salvation Army! Denominations in the Church don't mean much to me though. Thanks for the tips.
    Do you not think that it would be a handy enough job? A lot of posters on this forum are very religious, wouldn't it be great to work for God and get paid at the same time?

There are many (paid) ways to work for God, not just being a priest.

See...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy_(Catholic_Church)

What is not said here is that there were early concerns re nepotism and inheritance also.

There are of course loopholes; eg if a priest in another denom converts to RC and is already married; all OK.

I seem to remember reading recently re a Presbyterian pastor like that too:)

So the opening is beginning..

Orthodxy is interesting; they allow priests to be married but the Bishops are hieromonks and thus celibates.

Well, again, not being a Catholic it's obviously not the celibacy part of priesthood that is the main problem - it's the Catholic part of priesthood.

BTW - I already get paid for doing what I love - but I see it as working for God's people as well as working for God.

We know that many early Christian leaders (including Peter and some of the other apostles) were married. I guess celibacy in the Roman Catholic Church developed from a misinterpretation of Paul's teaching about marriage in 1 Corinthians 7, and also in an attempt to bolster the two-tier system whereby clergy and laity are separated.

• Advertisement

Wonderful!

We work though with anyone who feeds and cares for the homeless as do

Such dire need is the glue. For it is the love of Jesus living.

Denoms are meaningless.

In Buddhist lands we work alongside Buddhist Nuns also

It is the children who matter.

We get all our simple needs from VDP:) Great place. And if we get stuff handed in that we cannot sell or use, it goes to them.

Best book shop in Donegal Town.
    Húrin wrote: »
    What a curious irony. I, a Protestant, volunteer for the SVP and you, a Catholic, work for the Salvation Army! Denominations in the Church don't mean much to me though. Thanks for the tips.

There are many (paid) ways to work for God, not just being a priest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

My uncle's a priest, and even were I a dedicated Christian without any doubts etc I would never ever ever be a priest.

The life's not bad per sé, but it's lacking so many things we all take for granted. Like access to sex, love, etc.

Nuns do not get paid...Someone asked me that the other day:)
    Did not know where to look!

We earn our way...

Priests do, and here in Ireland they get free housing and a lot of other perks.

However in other lands they often have to work in lay jobs to make ends meet.

Oh, by the way; there are Anglican Nuns and Methodist Nuns... and Orthodox also

I guess celibacy in the Roman Catholic Church developed from a misinterpretation of Paul's teaching about marriage in 1 Corinthians 7, and also in an attempt to bolster the two-tier system whereby clergy and laity are separated.

So if celibacy is all one big mistake, why can't it be abolished?

So if celibacy is all one big mistake, why can't it be abolished?

Big mistakes are not so easily abolished (think of slavery, communism, racial segregation). Particularly when a lot of people have given their lives for an ideal and do not agree with me that it is a mistake!

Big mistakes are not so easily abolished (think of slavery, communism, racial segregation). Particularly when a lot of people have given their lives for an ideal and do not agree with me that it is a mistake!

Like the whole controversy with the word "almah"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lb163

This is something I have in my mind but at 56 and seperated it may not be possible.

Like the whole controversy with the word "almah"?

No, not really. The Hebrew word 'almah' in the Old Testament can be translated either as 'young girl' or as 'virgin'. In Matthew's Gospel, however, the Greek word used (parthenos) definitely means 'virgin'.

So for Christians, who believe the Bible to be God's word, it is clear that Jesus was born of a virgin.

I don't see that there's much call for a controversy there.

Why did Matthew use a greek word? He didn't write it all in Greek did he?

"Almah" refers to age, not virginity. Young woman. It may also could be interpreted as virgin since it also means unmarried.

Yes, all of the New Testament was written in Greek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Yes, all of the New Testament was written in Greek.

:D
    You've got Overblood there!
    :D
    This rounds points to PDN.

as an aside ...
    did Matthew actually write the Gospel of Matthew? In Greek or otherwise?
    Overbloods question was "Why did Matthew use a greek word? He didn't write it all in Greek did he?"
    Q:Mathew didn't write it in Greek did he?
    A:All four Gospels were written in Greek.

The answer avoids the Matthew part of the question. Did Matthew write the Gospel in Greek? or did one of his followers write it and then attribute his name to it?

How did he "get" me? I asked him a question and he was nice enough to answer.

Maybe he "got" me an answer? Is that it?

Is mary's virginity first mentioned or prophecised in the new or old testament?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

"Almah" refers to age, not virginity. Young woman. It may also could be interpreted as virgin since it also means unmarried.

Matthew and the New Testament writers used a translation of the Old Testament called the Septuagint which was written in Greek. Hence it makes sense why he used the Greek word instead of the Hebrew word.

I agree, it would nice if we could have more discussion, with questions and answers on this board, rather than everything being about point scoring and antagonism.

Having said that, there has been a tradition round these parts of atheists asking apparently innocuous questions and then trying to spring a 'gotcha' (usually done very ineptly). So I guess its understandable when people view every question as being potentially loaded. :)
    Is mary's virginity first mentioned or prophecised in the new or old testament?

There is a prophecy in the Old Testament in Isaiah 7:14 that reads: "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin (Hebrew 'almah') will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. The word 'almah' can mean either a young woman or a virgin.

The Jewish rabbis and scholars who translated the Old Testament into Greek several centuries before Christ (known as the Septuagint) translated 'almah' as 'parthenos' - meaning 'virgin'. So we know that large numbers of Jews, long before Christianity, understood Isaiah 7:14 to be referring to a virgin birth.

The New Testament clearly states that the birth of Jesus to a virgin was the fulfillment of Isaiah 7:14.

So this leaves us with at least three possible approaches to the word 'almah'.
    1. Jews who reject the New Testament, but still see the Old Testament as God's word, claim that 'almah' means 'young woman' and that the Septuagint translation was a mistake.

2. Christians who accept both the Old and New Testaments as God's Word see 'almah' as meaning 'virgin'.

3. Some atheists, who reject both the Old and New Testaments, like to argue about the meaning of 'almah', even though they couldn't care less about it, in order to piss off Christians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

3. Some atheists, who reject both the Old and New Testaments, like to argue about the meaning of 'almah', even though they couldn't care less about it, in order to piss off Christians.

:DLOL. Amen brother.

That part was meant mostly jovially... but I'd been spending too much time in the BC&P thread, so my judgment was somewhat impaired...
    I agree, it would nice if we could have more discussion, with questions and answers on this board, rather than everything being about point scoring and antagonism.

Yeah I realise my post was not exactly contributing to the discussion...
    Having said that, there has been a tradition round these parts of atheists asking apparently innocuous questions and then trying to spring a 'gotcha' (usually done very ineptly). So I guess its understandable when people view every question as being potentially loaded. :)

... hum... I don't think that I was doing this, there was no follow on 'Gotcha' planed for my post, I felt that your answer to Overblood's question, whilst true, was sort of answering a different question... it triggered an over the top reaction to what I strongly felt was misdirection. I took the weekend off from boards as I've clearly been overreacting to things lately.

There is a prophecy in the Old Testament in Isaiah 7:14 that reads: "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin (Hebrew 'almah') will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. The word 'almah' can mean either a young woman or a virgin.

The part of that I have never understood is the Immanuel part... Jesus is never called that anywhere else as far as I know... but I am aware that Immanuel means "God is with us" and that maybe people said this, but I find it somewhat less than satisfying.
    =PDN wrote: »
    The Jewish rabbis and scholars who translated the Old Testament into Greek several centuries before Christ (known as the Septuagint) translated 'almah' as 'parthenos' - meaning 'virgin'. So we know that large numbers of Jews, long before Christianity, understood Isaiah 7:14 to be referring to a virgin birth.

That makes a lot of sense, like Athena Parthenos, Athena the Virgin.
    If they'd wanted to translate it as just 'young girl' what Greek word would they have most likely used?

kiffer wrote: »
    That makes a lot of sense, like Athena Parthenos, Athena the Virgin.
    If they'd wanted to translate it as just 'young girl' what Greek word would they have most likely used?

In Exodus 2:8 the same Hebew word (almah) is translated by the Greek word 'neanis' - which simply means a young woman. The translators of the Septuagint, quite reasonably, judged that the context did not merit using the word 'parthenos'.

The word 'almah' occurs seven times in the Old Testament, and on five occasions it was translated as 'neanis'. The only two times it was translated as 'parthenos' are Isaiah 7:14 and Genesis 24:43 (where the context obviously favours 'virgin' since it refers to finding a bride for Isaac).

The oft-repeated assertion (often on atheist websites by people who know nothing of either Hebrew or Greek) about 'virgin' being a mistranslation is mischevious and ill-informed. The translators of the Septuagint knew about the two possible meaning of 'almah' and used 'neanis' in the majority of cases. But in regard to Isaiah 7:14 they made a judgement call, based on the context, to use 'parthenos' instead.

In Exodus 2:8 the same Hebew word (almah) is translated by the Greek word 'neanis' - which simply means a young woman. The translators of the Septuagint, quite reasonably, judged that the context did not merit using the word 'parthenos'.
    ... But in regard to Isaiah 7:14 they made a judgement call, based on the context, to use 'parthenos' instead.

In that case it seems fairly clear cut to me... They'd translate using words that fitted the context as they understood it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

kiffer wrote: »
    In that case it seems fairly clear cut to me... They'd translate using words that fitted the context as they understood it.

Indeed! The apparent conflict only appears after certain people apply a particular contemporary (mis)understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Getting back on topic, when I was a teenager I fancied the idea of becoming a priest in the Church of Ireland, but the priest in charge of my church kept on asking if I had a genuine vocation, which I'd know because I'd sense God calling me through the power of the Holy Spirit. I never felt that calling, and with hindsight I realise that I'd not have made a very good minister of religion.

On the other hand, one of my friends at college actively didn't want to be a priest, and struggled with the Holy Spirit for several years before realising that he had a true vocation. He's been ordained now for about 20 years, and despite some ups and downs (after all, members of the church are fallible humans), he's certainly "found his calling".

An older colleague of mine is another person to be called to the ministry, in his case in his 50s. He was ordained priest last year, and not only was this a most joyous occasion, but he seems to have been rejuvenated as a result of following his vocation.

So it's not just a case of wanting to be a priest (or a nun), but of God wanting you to be one.

hivizman wrote: »
    Getting back on topic, when I was a teenager I fancied the idea of becoming a priest in the Church of Ireland, but the priest in charge of my church kept on asking if I had a genuine vocation, which I'd know because I'd sense God calling me through the power of the Holy Spirit. I never felt that calling, and with hindsight I realise that I'd not have made a very good minister of religion.

On the other hand, one of my friends at college actively didn't want to be a priest, and struggled with the Holy Spirit for several years before realising that he had a true vocation. He's been ordained now for about 20 years, and despite some ups and downs (after all, members of the church are fallible humans), he's certainly "found his calling".

An older colleague of mine is another person to be called to the ministry, in his case in his 50s. He was ordained priest last year, and not only was this a most joyous occasion, but he seems to have been rejuvenated as a result of following his vocation.

So it's not just a case of wanting to be a priest (or a nun), but of God wanting you to be one.

In similar manner, I would know a couple of people who have either entered ministry or are in the process of doing so. From my experience it would seem that the certain denominations aren't suffering from the same problem as the RCC in attracting young people to ministry.

Where do you guys get this insider information?!:confused:

So why doesn't god want you to become a priest? What does he find wrong with you at this moment in time?

Where do you guys get this insider information?!:confused:

So why doesn't god want you to become a priest? What does he find wrong with you at this moment in time?

Think about it - if there is an omnipotent Christian God then he can sort out a way to let you know such things. In this regard, the Spirit would guide you.

Not every Christian is suited to the profession. Why would you think that this means there is something wrong with them in God's eyes?

As an example, think of someone who loves football and wants to be a professional footballer. However, they do not have the attributes to make a good one. This doesn't make them a defective person. It simply means that their skills are better suited to other areas of life. There are many other roles involved within football - each vital in their own right - that would suit these skills.

Ok but if God is omnipotent like you said, why doesn't he give you the power and skills to become a priest?

Ok but if God is omnipotent like you said, why doesn't he give you the power and skills to become a priest?

Because there is more to Christianity than being a priest, nor is it an ultimate goal. Why are you fixated on this?

• Advertisement

Because there is more to Christianity than being a priest, nor is it an ultimate goal. Why are you fixated on this?

Haha Ok sure, I'm fixated on this. I started the thread, can't I ask questions in it? Would you ask people in the creationism & prophecy thread "why are you fixated on creationism and prophecy?"

All I'm doing is asking some obvious questions about god & the priesthood.

"Hivizman's hypothesis" of God wanting and then choosing somebody to become a priest begs the following questions: in this time of atheism, why doesn't God "choose" more priests to spread his word more effectively? And what's the story with the dwindling numbers in our catholic parishes? Why doesn't omnipotent God choose more priests?

Haha Ok sure, I'm fixated on this. I started the thread, can't I ask questions in it? Would you ask people in the creationism & prophecy thread "why are you fixated on creationism and prophecy?"

"Hivizman's hypothesis" of God wanting and then choosing somebody to become a priest begs the following questions: in this time of atheism, why doesn't God "choose" more priests to spread his word more effectively? And what's the story with the dwindling numbers in our catholic parishes? Why doesn't omnipotent God choose more priests?

Don't be preposterous. I never suggested that you can't reply to your own thread. It seems that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of Christianity, which would certainly go to explaining why the simple notion that one does not have to be a priest to serve God (including spreading the word) seems so elusive to you.

There are two possible answers as to why there are not more priests.
    a) People may be chosen but are not responding to that call.
    b) God might actually want the Church to have fewer priests.
    c) Some might say that the Catholic church is a false religion and so God wouldn't want anyone to be a Catholic priest.

Obviously option (c) would only be held by non-Catholics, but I know Catholics who would go for (a) or (b).

Don't be preposterous. I never suggested that you can't reply to your own thread. It seems that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of Christianity, which would certainly go to explaining why the simple notion that one does not have to be a priest to serve God (including spreading the word) seems so elusive to you.

Listen, I know I have more than a fundamental misunderstanding of Christianity! And I thought I'd be able to come here to find answers to some questions floating around in my head. Hivizman fueled my questions by stating that God chooses people to become priests. But alas, my questions seem to get on some peoples nerves here so I'm done.

It's regrettable that you feel such a course of action is necessary. I admit that my last response was unnecessarily curt - for this I apologise. However, if I may offer an excuse of sorts, you seemed to be selectively reading my replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I feel very flattered to have a hypothesis named after me. :D

Let's start with a core belief in human free will. So God may call someone to the priesthood/ministry, but that person has the freedom to reject God's call. On the other hand, God doesn't tell others that He has or has not called someone, so a person claiming a vocation may be in error. Of course, organised churches have developed procedures to try to sift out genuine vocations from false ones (the colleague I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread who was recently ordained in his fifties took about three years to convince the authorities in his diocese that he was genuine).

What might be "Hivizman's hypothesis" Mark 2 is this:

Until the 1960s, becoming an RC priest, or an Anglican priest, or a non-conformist minister, was for many people a way of getting out of a very humble background and enhancing their social status. Claims to vocation were perhaps not tested very strongly, and a significant number of people entered the priesthood who were not actually called to the priesthood.

Now, becoming a priest or minister carries with it no social status, indeed may actually have people thinking you're a loony, so some people whom God calls ignore the call.

This hypothesis is consistent with the view that God is calling the same proportion of people as always to the priesthood or ministry, but whereas in the past the number of genuine calls was augmented by people without a true vocation becoming priests, now it's diminished by people ignoring or denying a true vocation.

I wouldn't really rate this as a scientific "hypothesis", because it's untestable. We would need to rely on what people told us about whether or not they had vocations, and there is no way for us to be confident that their responses were reliable.

You might, though, ask why an omnipotent God would permit people to become priests who don't meet God's own quality standards.

You might, though, ask why an omnipotent God would permit people to become priests who don't meet God's own quality standards.

Free will, I guess.

I think that your assumption that priests are "better" Christians is annoying people, because there are no good and bad Christians. There are just Christians and non-Christians.

There are numerous roles to play in the Church, and thus not everybody should be a priest.
    I don't see why there is a need to explain all of this. We don't know the minutae of God's plan, if indeed he is planning all this.

I would also disagree with your apparent presupposition that the ideal state from God's pov is for everyone in an entire society to be Christian all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

lb163 wrote: »
    This is something I have in my mind but at 56 and seperated it may not be possible.
    It certainly is possible. Your age would not be an issue and there are probably solutions to your marital situation. Speak to the vocations director in your diocese about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 marabhfuil

we are all already a lot more than we know of what we are. we are all saints, but to greater and lesser degrees, which are not set or defined (as in truth nor is god), but just greater or lesser according to our own personal decisions to be so, greater or lesser.

Advertisement