Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Communications Portfolio help!?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So I decided to change courses from Photography to Visual Communications and need some help on the presentation of my vis comm portfolio?

Should there be more than one theme running through my portfolio?
    If so, should the themes work together as well as separately?

Do you include explanations to any of the pieces or should it already be apparent from your work?

Should there be much sketch/painted/photographic material included?

Also, does anyone who has submitted a portfolio to IADT or DIT have any tips?

I've done photography portfolio courses in the past so I know the basics, but I've been working on this for a while and I've gotten to the stage where I'm stuck..

I know I posted a lot of separate questions but help on even one would be brilliant!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

hey jamieb,

this is going back a bit now and making me feel OLD but i applied to university of ulster vis comm in york street, belfast way back in the day, 1997! i got accepted buy went to ballyfermot for comp animation instead.

but i remember the interview well as i do all my interviews i've ever had coz i was ****ing myself :)

1. imho yes there should be more than one theme, i had multiple themes and they seemed to like the fact at the time.

2. it think it's fine for a bit of working together / continuity but diversity is still necessary to show you can turn your hand to new things and ideas.

3. it was pure interview when i applied so all explanations were done by me as i showed my work and then i answered questions asked to me by the interviewers on certain pieces. if you are dropping off a portfolio to be looked at for possible further interview then yes by all means have a short concise rundown of the theme & ideas etc.

4. sketch, paint and photography work, whatever you have yes! again diversity is great! i had photography, life drawing, sketches, oil painting, claymation & embroidery! but only show your best work!

if you have ideas sketches, shots etc for each work then stick them into a notebook / sketchbook / binder as interviewers love to see preperation work as well as final pieces.

that's my 2 cents coming from personal experience and of what was told to me by my tutors on my gnvq in art & design at the time.

good luck with it m8

p.s. i remember other people with much less than i had medium wise, like simply a photography and graphic design potfolios getting into vis comm also. just show your best stuff and explain it concisely.

Advertisement