Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy keane's transfer madness....Genius?

• 10-02-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

I know Keane spent a lot of money at the stadium of light these past few years but he did manage to get a number of good players at the same time Jones is the only one ever mentioned.

What about malbranque, cisse(on loan with the option to buy) and andy reid?
    Obviously there where some terrible one's as well macShane for instance What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

*tumbleweed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭harmankardon

bloody stupid thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Shit manager bought shit players and got shit results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if people don't like the thread why don't they just ignore it? nobody's forcing you to post if you don't like it.

imo he spent a lot of money, so if you spend that much you're bound to get a couple right. jones was easily the best of the lot, malbranque next imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Xavi6 wrote: »
    In fairness, he did bring them from the bottom of the Championship to get them promoted in the course of the same season. That deserves some credit but undoubtedly he has tarnished his reputation with his transfer dealings (bar one or two noteable exceptions) and the manner in which he left Sunderland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

his problem was he went crazy with buying players that he knew and had played in england. he had so much money to spend and he could have spent it far better.

I mean Sunderland at one stage had a team of irish reserves starting for them in english premier division.

o'donavon was an amadan, should have tried forced that move to nantes, would have been better for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

YAWN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

YAWN

hahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahaah

funny AND clever

i think he made some good deals alright. but chimbonda, mcshane & ferdinand are questionable. anton has talent alright but i dunno if he live up to his bro's massive reputation.
    keane spent a hell of a lot of money tho and didnt get the justified results. that said, they will stay up and may end up floating around the mid table over the next couple of years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Yet City only won four more games, scored nine more goals and conceded only six less than Sunderland last season. Pretty **** also no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

redout wrote: »
    Yet City only won four more games, scored nine more goals and conceded only six less than Sunderland last season. Pretty **** also no ?
    Winning four more games is HUGE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Attracting top class talent is easy when you have the delights of life in beautiful North East England and the glamour and glory of a battle against relegation to offer. Imo.

Yes, which is why that manager is no longer there either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Yes, which is why that manager is no longer there either.

whatever happend to Save Our Sven?
    fairly hypocritical of you to say that tbh. u wanted sven to stay at city more then anyone and now ur brushing him aside. amazing wat some crazy arabian dudes and a truck load of money can do someones principles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He was a genius. 3 years ago nobody in Ireland gave a ****e about them. Now they're Sunderland Jerseys everywhere. It takes a special manager to breed a new hundred thousand fans or so in 3 years away from your country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

besty wrote: »
    In fairness, he did bring them from the bottom of the Championship to get them promoted in the course of the same season. That deserves some credit but undoubtedly he has tarnished his reputation with his transfer dealings (bar one or two noteable exceptions) and the manner in which he left Sunderland.

That statement is such a crock of sh!te.

He took over after 5 games and spend about 12 million in the championship, if they hadnt have been promoted he would have been classed as the greatest failure of alltime.

He was a joke in the treansfer market.

He only bought 5 good players, Jones, Malbranque, Gordon, Ferdinand and Richardson and being the muppet he was he over paid for all of them.

Sunderland are paying 80k a week for Cisse...

80k a fu*king weekm seriously, 80k? yeah he's a decaint player but 80k? fu*k that.

David Healy, Chopra, Connoly, Yorke, Wallace, Chimbonda, Tiano, O'donnovan, Colgan, john, Prica, Edwards, Stokey, McShane, Bardsley, Anderson, Halford, Riera.

All signed by keane, all still being paid by sunderland, all utterly void of premiership abilty.

The man was a good player but lack the basic intelligence to be a good manager, the fact that the irish sunderland player (who he mostly signed) had a "going away party" for him when he was sacked says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In fairness he took the club over when they were in trouble in the Championship, he brought in players to help him achieve an amazing achievement in getting promoted that season.
    Then he has to bring in players capable of maintaining their Premier League status and he succeeded with that as well. This season he brought in more players with the target of improving the side again. While some of these signings have played well, the team as a whole did not improve immediately.

So I'd say his signings have been good for the most part but you will always have a lull in progression and that happened this season and he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

If you spend millions and millions on a few dozen players, of course a few of them will turn out to be good. Look at Sunderland now, 11th, not bad.

The board should've learned to say 'you have enough players'. Although Roy might've fell out with them.

Seaneh wrote: »

David Healy, Chopra, Connoly, Yorke, Wallace, Chimbonda, Tiano, O'donnovan, Colgan, john, Prica, Edwards, Stokey, McShane, Bardsley, Anderson, Halford, Riera.

All signed by keane, all still being paid by sunderland, all utterly void of premiership abilty.
    Chopra, Halford, O'Donovan, Riera and Anderson are out on loan.
    Chimbonda is back at Spurs.
    And who is the John you talk, hardly Stern John who went to Southampton when Kenwynne Jones was bought?
    Ross Wallace is now a Preston player.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Chopra, Halford, O'Donovan, Riera and Anderson are out on loan.
    Chimbonda is back at Spurs.
    And who is the John you talk, hardly Stern John who went to Southampton when Kenwynne Jones was bought?
    Ross Wallace is now a Preston player.

Actually, Chimbonda was a bad call, and I know john is at sotton, sunderland are still paying him though, much like leeds were still paying fowler for 4 years after he left them,

And sunderland are paying all of the wages of all of the p;ayers they have out on loan.

Jazzy wrote: »
    whatever happend to Save Our Sven?
    fairly hypocritical of you to say that tbh. u wanted sven to stay at city more then anyone and now ur brushing him aside. amazing wat some crazy arabian dudes and a truck load of money can do someones principles

Of course it's hyprocritical, I've never denied that.

The only reason I wanted Sven to stay was because I couldn't stand the thought of anymore instability at the club. Since Ferguson took over at United we've had 16 managers! I wanted Sven to be given more time as he was the best we'd had since Royle.

However the decision was made and you just have to get on with it. We got a new guy in and he will have my support until the powers that be decide otherwise. I don't see anything wrong with that.

In hindsight (which is a wonderful thing btw) Sven was a crap manager for the second half of last season. We played awful football and won very few games.

• Advertisement

That statement is such a crock of sh!te.

He took over after 5 games and spend about 12 million in the championship, if they hadnt have been promoted he would have been classed as the greatest failure of alltime.

By who? He took over a team that had lost their first six league games on the bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,723 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't really know what was expected of Keane and Sunderland, Win the premiership, Champions League Spot, what??

What he did was quite remarkable, he did spend a shed load of money but he had no choice, no top player will move to Sunderland because quite frankly it's a shít hole. Sunderland could qualify for europe this season, it's not like the Cork one left the club in ruins.

Oh and look at the clubs who didn't spend any money last season, they are not in the division anymore.

Keane is no Alex Ferguson, but he is no Tony Adams either.

What he did with Sunderland is unparralleled with what any other first time manager has achieved, he should be commended for that if there is any fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What was expected was continious progress, which was not achieved in the view of Keane apparently. He did well in the Championship and did well in the premiership in the first season. Had a poor start to the second season, despite significant investment and Keane apparently felt he wasn't the man to get the best out of the squad.

What was expected was continious progress, which was not achieved in the view of Keane apparently. He did well in the Championship and did well in the premiership in the first season. Had a poor start to the second season, despite significant investment and Keane apparently felt he wasn't the man to get the best out of the squad.

In fairness Mitch no one knows why Keane left. Alot of rumours, but neither club or the man himself have said anything about it. He did question in one press conference was he qualified enough to be a manager, but this was the honest norm when he talked to the media.

Boggles wrote: »
    I don't really know what was expected of Keane and Sunderland, Win the premiership, Champions League Spot, what??

What he did was quite remarkable, he did spend a shed load of money but he had no choice, no top player will move to Sunderland because quite frankly it's a shít hole. Sunderland could qualify for europe this season, it's not like the Cork one left the club in ruins.

Oh and look at the clubs who didn't spend any money last season, they are not in the division anymore.

Keane is no Alex Ferguson, but he is no Tony Adams either.

What he did with Sunderland is unparralleled with what any other first time manager has achieved, he should be commended for that if there is any fairness.
    Well not exactly unparalelled. Kevin Keegan had a magnificent start to his management career. Going further back there was John Toshack. Kenny Dalglish would be a little different as he took over a successful club.

I still think Roy Keane done a fantastic job over his time at Sunderland.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well not exactly unparalelled. Kevin Keegan had a magnificent start to his management career. Going further back there was John Toshack. Kenny Dalglish would be a little different as he took over a successful club.

I still think Roy Keane done a fantastic job over his time at Sunderland.

No first time manager has taken a team from the bottom of the 1st division to win the division in the same season, that is like I said unparalelled. there were dozens of successful managers and first time managers.

No first time manager has taken a team from the bottom of the 1st division to win the division in the same season, that is like I said unparalelled. there were dozens of successful managers and first time managers.
    What he did with Sunderland is unparralleled with what any other first time manager has achieved,

Glad you cleared that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Keane bought loads of prem league players and tried to build a team with both experience and youth. He was trying to emulate fergie. A lot of the players he bought were sub standard yes, but a lot of them are also very good players. It's Sunderland for God's sake....not real Madrid !!!!!
    Who was he going to attract ?????
    He did well with what he had, but he lost the dressing room and he left before the players made a fool of him. I think that when Roy returns to management he is going to have to do it with a bit more compassion and arm around the shoulder man management techniques.
    Sunderland are not the same team now without him and Quinn knew that when Roy left they were losing their biggest star.

There was this young lad at barcelona who won a chamions league not too long ago, it was his first job, also theres another lads there now, its his first managers job too.

Also theres a spoanish fella at Swansea city, spent less than 600k in the last two years and has taken them from league 1 to challanging for a playoff spot in the championship...

Chris Coleman kept a rubbish fulham side up.

The list goes on and on.

It is parralleled, it is surpassed.

Give me a clun with 35k supporters at every game, 90 million over two years and i guarentee they wont be in a relegation battle or signing players like david healey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Give me a clun with 35k supporters at every game, 90 million over two years and i guarentee they wont be in a relegation battle

I doubt that to be honest!

Look, with my C.V. I don't.

Carlisle in the cl final ina bout 3 minutes, stick that in your pipe and smoke it...

There was this young lad at barcelona who won a chamions league not too long ago, it was his first job,

Who?
    also theres another lads there now, its his first managers job too.

2nd job.
    Give me a clun with 35k supporters at every game, 90 million over two years and i guarentee they wont be in a relegation battle or signing players like david healey.

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The biggest mistake Roy Keane ever made was not sticking to his plan. He intended on leaving Sunderland this Summer anyway and even let it slip in an interview that should he keep Sunderland up and walk away at the end of his contract, at the end of the season then he would be happy with that. As a manager who had got a team from bottom of the championship to the Premiership in a season and then kept them in the Prem the next 2 years he would have a good reputation no matter how he achieved this (transfers etc). I really dont think in such circumstances he would have had any problem finding another job especially with the way managerial changes are happening atm. Instead the man who expects the best from everyone he works with judged himself as performing below par and walked, which was a mistake imo

There was this young lad at barcelona who won a chamions league not too long ago, it was his first job, also theres another lads there now, its his first managers job too.

It is parralleled, it is surpassed.

Who was that then ? It most certainly wasnt Rijkaard anyway as his first club job was getting Sparta Rotterdam relegated to the division 1.

Who was that then ? It most certainly wasnt Rijkaard anyway as his first club job was getting Sparta Rotterdam relegated to the division 1.

Was his first job not with the Dutch?

• Advertisement

Actually instead of the people slating Keanes transfer policy, I put it up to ye to name 8 alternative (realistic) players ye would have signed for Sunderland FC.

Was his first job not with the Dutch?

It was indeed and thats why I was ever so careful to write "club job".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought Keane has put together a pretty decent mid table PL squad. The problem was he couldn't get the best out of his team.

Keane did well to get them up, and then did good to keep them up. He then however faltered when he had to get them to step up again. No shame, world class managers aren't built over night. The jury is still very much out on him.

I predicted on here when he left that Keano would be United manager some day. He will win us a couple of titles and then be off like Mourinho at Chelsea I would say. I still stand by that.

Chris Brunt, Gary Cahill, Ryan Taylor, Matty Taylor, Giovanni, Ishmal Miller, Alan Smith, Bullard.

All could have been signed by keane with the budget he had, all would have been better than most of his signings, all yould be either starting of in contention to start for sunderland and the teams around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Chris Brunt, Gary Cahill, Ryan Taylor, Matty Taylor, Giovanni, Ishmal Miller, Alan Smith, Bullard.

All could have been signed by keane with the budget he had, all would have been better than most of his signings, all yould be either starting of in contention to start for sunderland and the teams around them.

cool - now that you have named them - try and agree personal terms with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

ismahel miller is a pile of piss. alan smith as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Was it just luck that got them from relegation zone to promotion then?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Was it just luck that got them from relegation zone to promotion then?:confused:

yeah - it seems to be an awful knee jerk reaction to say "sh!t manager". he must have done something well to oversee a runaway championship win. it just doesnt seem like a balanced/unbiased view to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

They both inherited teams a tad better than Keane did with Sunderland. Not much of a comparison.
    Chris Coleman kept a rubbish fulham side up.

As far as I know Sunderland weren't relegated with Keane. What was the comparison you were going for here? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I predicted on here when he left that Keano would be United manager some day. He will win us a couple of titles and then be off like Mourinho at Chelsea I would say. I still stand by that.

Keane will never manage Utd, his mentality just isnt suited to management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i disagree Killme, i agree that his walking out of Sunderland doesnt show the qualities of a top class manager but i would give him the benefit of the doubt due to it being his first job and maybe he felt like he couldnt take them any further and was going to hold them back.....i dont think he would have if he stayed either

He will have learned alot in his first job, and you have to remember it was his first job and his rise was so hyped up and full of expectation it was bound to crash at some stage

I would hope he makes a return to management in the future and learns more about the trade with a mid tier Premiership team which i am sure he would be up to the task of and then take it from there

His initial signings were naive but he had no scouting network when he started and no experience in transfer dealings from management side

He did make some good signings for the club, you cant deny that, and as the old addage goes, out of every 3 players you sign only 1 will probably be a success, his transfer dealings seemed to be going in the right way towards the end, with what he wanted to do anyway.....

Players like Djouff and Cisse and Malbranque were better quality then those he already had so they surely have to be seen as a step in the right direction

Kenwayne Jones was always a fantastic signing and Richardson is doing a good there......The premier league is a hard league to survive in, look at the talent in the Spurs team yet look at the trouble they got into..... how many times have we heard the phrase too good to go down and then it happens?

i think he was moving them forward in the right direction and he left too soon, i was disappointed in him for doing so but maybe it was other issues that forced his hand.... his family were unwilling to move to Sunderland and that is his number one priority

He will need to improve himself as a manager before taking a big job, especially his method of dealing with his players but i have no doubt that if he puts his mind to it he will succeed as he has done with every other goal in his life, Roy Keane is a winner. Failure is not a word he will tolerate and i firmly believe that his experience at Sunderland will benefit him in the future when he returns to management, I think he took that job before he was ready and as such he has done superbly

If he has to gain experience at a lower league club first the so be it, but he will be a top level manager one day if its what he wants to do

yeah - it seems to be an awful knee jerk reaction to say "sh!t manager". he must have done something well to oversee a runaway championship win. it just doesnt seem like a balanced/unbiased view to me

Everything Xavi says about Keane needs to be disregarded. He has an irrational hatred of him due to being a supporter of City during a period when Keane (literally!) stamped out all opposition in the way of Man Utd. He would admit as much himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yep, Andy Reid, Chimbonda, Gordon, Jones, Malbranque. All signings that have proved good for Sunderland in the Prem.

I think it should ALSO be noted he bought alot of players that DID DO the business in the CHAMPIONSHIP and simply fell away when they got to the prem. Obviously they were good signings for the job at hand at the time. Say Miller, Connolly etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement