Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80's power ballads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Northernsoul

and for that point of it could'nt we include ACDC - thunderstruck ...it's )bearly) in the 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Great song list, but based on my fuzzy puber-tic memories of youth club slow sets I have one worry......

All the girls heading off to "the ladies" the moment the first slow song comes on, and not coming out until the last one is played; bad enough for a normal 3-song set, but in this case they'll probably miss the whole night! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

There can only be one greatest power ballad of all time and that ballad is "Time after Time" by Cyndi Lauper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Baybay wrote: »
    people like Gina Dale Haze & the Champions
    LOL - anyone remember Joanna and Tequila Sunrise?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

and those car stickers

"Dance Yer Ass off to Tweed..."

*shudder*

first one to mention Travlin to Flavin gets a fat lip, by the way...

d'oh

• Advertisement

Can't say I recall that. I do remember, as a seven-year-old in 1985, ads on Radio 2 (for that's what 2FM was once called) for The Blue Dragon bar and nightclub (outside Fermoy, Co Cork) and wanting to go there oh so badly...

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Alice Cooper - Poison

.....anyone? Not too hair-metally!

......I want to kiss you but your lips are ven-o-mous poison!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Jim Diamond - Should Have Known Better

Anything I've forgot...........? Peace n'power ballads to ye all! :p

Just playing this now and came in to mention it.
    Great trivia about it:
    "I Should Have Known Better" was a UK number one single for one week in November 1984 for Jim Diamond. The song was displaced after one week by Band Aid's charity single "Do They Know It's Christmas?". Diamond publicly requested that people not buy his single, but instead buy "Do They Know It's Christmas?"

What a man.

Maybe add How Am I Supposed To Live Without You by Michael Bolton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What a man.

You reckon he was hoping the saintly gesture would boost his sales anyway. :D

That said, his tune before that one, was one of my favourite songs on the 80s.

:eek: There... is... no... god!!! :(

In fairness, I like when it builds up at the end and gets all epic with those synth chords... They were used for Radio Nova's rallying cry to stop its closure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement