Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post of the day - After hours & Photography

Options
  • 10-02-2009 3:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I like the idea of the post of the day but when it's nearly always a Photgraph or an After Hours post then I don't bother with it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Why not use the thanks filter on the main page? Then you can pick a well thanked post from a forum you do like. Ah, photography, poker and PI will always tend to hog the post of the day. It's just the nature of the beast.

What alternative do you suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I don't know, maybe remove them forums from post of the day and/or let them forums have their own post of the day.

Just an idea (I had after a lovely toasted cheese sambo last night), I was wondering were there other users of the site who don't use Photgraphy and AH and thus would like to see a post of the day that isn't an AH post or a photograph :)

Edit: Thanks for the "thanks filter" suggestion. It kind of blows my suggestion out of the water I suppose. I guess the Post of the Day is just to highlight the busy forums most thanked posts. There's one or two other highly thanked posts today though that probably wouldn't ever get a into the Post of the Day filter

How long has the "Thanks" feature been active here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

+1 for the thanks filter on the front page.

I don't read the Photography forum but it's still nice to see the photos that garner a lot of thanks.

How long has the "Thanks" feature been active here?

It came in some time around June 2008 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yeah, I'd like to play around with different ways of displaying such information, but I'm sort of constrained by the front page.

Maybe I should... create another page :eek:

Cheers CuLT :)
    Sorry for starting a thread in Development also - wasn't sure where would get the responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

CuLT wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd like to play around with different ways of displaying such information, but I'm sort of constrained by the front page.

Maybe I should... create another page :eek:

The second page? :pac:

Actually, I like the way the post of the day is at the moment. I don't usually go into the Photography forum so it means that I get to see some of the better pictures without having to browse through pages and pages of other stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Where do you find post of the day again?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Where do you find post of the day again?
    potd.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't see it being an issue if its one of these two forum, I imagine it goes on most popular thread or most active so it makes sense

It's the most thanked post of the day.
    I like the idea of it cause it could lead you to a topic or a forum you might not have otherwise looked at. But it's nearly always a photograph or a made up story in After Hours. If there was some way for them to have their own little pots of the day then that'd be good is all:)

It's the most thanked post of the day.
    I like the idea of it cause it could lead you to a topic or a forum you might not have otherwise looked at. But it's nearly always a photograph or a made up story in After Hours. If there was some way for them to have their own little pots of the day then that'd be good is all:)

Then you'd still have to go to the forum you wouldn't otherwise look at to see it. :D I suppose a random post from the top X thanked posts would be interesting but really I think the thanks filter has it covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

javaboy wrote: »
    Then you'd still have to go to the forum you wouldn't otherwise look at to see it. :D I suppose a random post from the top X thanked posts would be interesting but really I think the thanks filter has it covered.

Maybe a post from the top 5? but then it's not really post of the day is it! :p

javaboy wrote: »

I'm thinking on both pages here kinda...

I see post of the day as perhaps to give people a chance to see posts and forums that they wouldn't have otherwised looked at. So with regards AFter Hours, ye probs don't need any advertising to get more people in the door...however, perhaps someone who had an aversion to AH then sees a very good POTD and then says "hey, this is alright :)"

I think perhaps having a "Most thanked Photograph of the day" might be better/good?

Advertisement