Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour having loud parties into the early hours

Options
  • 10-02-2009 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Weekend after weekend from 3 am to 6 am approx loud music, cant sleep.
    Walls are paper thin as well.

The first Sunday night gathering was from 11 am to 1 am

How long does it take to get the authorities to act if I complain?

Im renting and I think that the neighbour is as well.
    havnt confronted the neighbour yet, but they are a bit rough and I dont think it will make much difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

No matter how rough you think they are, call in to them first and ask them politely to lower it a bit, that it's causing you trouble.

Don't do this during a party, do it some Tuesday evening or something when they're there but not drinking etc. They may be genuinely surprised, on the other hand of course they may not, and in that case you need to get the landlords details (if they are renting) and take it up with him.

The Guards etc. are unlikely to be all that interested unless they get constant calls from several houses around your neighbours. The council would have to come out and take noise samples etc. so you are talking months for anything to happen on that route.

Approach them first and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

Thanks, will do.

"Noise samples" do they leave something on the wall or give people a device to record levels?

If she is renting I have some chance I suppose, but if a home owner in an estate I may not have any luck. How can I find out if she is renting?

She is mid terrace of three houses. We havnt spoken to the couple on the other side, they have a kid and must be going mad as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We had this problem with neighbours behind our house as well...

After putting up with it for 3 weekends in a row (till about 5am) and getting nowhere with the ever helpful Gardai :rolleyes: , I rang the estate agent and got the name of the owner of the house in question.

Quick call to a very shocked and helpful landlord later and there hasn't been a peep out of the house since!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    getting nowhere with the ever helpful Gardai :rolleyes:
    The Garda will only get involved if its in a public / common area.

Even bad residents are entitled to do what they like in their own homes without the garda getting involved (short of specific legal situations).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Had a similar problem myself a while back. My neighbours who were renting did not have refuse bins and didnt seem to have a problem lining 15-20 black bags at the side of the house until someone after dark picked them up with a trailer.
    Got onto to landlord who didnt want to know until i suggested calling the county council litter department which I did and were really interested to know about this and had to come out- didnt believe that I was telling tell the bags were un-tagged bin liners to be dumped somewhere. It stopped immediately and a few months later the couple moved out. The landlord doesnt speak to be anymore but hey I can live with that.

Speak to the landlord. Speak to the owner of the property. He should help or get his/her contact number, they will soon get fed up with yourself and possibly the gardai ringing on your behalf. And maybe you could mention you might not want to re-new your lease at the end of its term!- he might not have many people queueing up for his/her property.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement