Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bios modification

Options
  • 10-02-2009 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

can anybody on here modify a bios?

i have an inspiron 6000 with an ati radeon x300 in it.

the newer model 6400, comes with an ati radeon x1400

ive been reading up about putting an x1400 in the 6000 model, and it physically fits. but the bios wont recognise it because of the hypermemory.

thats what i have read anyway.

anyway, what would be needed is a bios dump off a 6000 and 6400?

then modify the 6000 using info from the 6400?

i'm just interested, its probably impossible, i dont really want to go spend money on a new laptop, when i could upgrade this one cheaply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah it can be done, but i doubt anyone on this site can do it. Your best bet is to just google it and see if you can find anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

no chance, googled it for ages. ive got all the info on what needs to be done, but nobody has managed to do it yet.

if i got a bios dump from a 6400 i might be able to get a friend of mine to do it actually.

you could always try here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/

Back in the day with my DFI nf4 board there were a few people who did custom bios' there. Might be worth a try posting there.

rather than going through that whole process, i wonder if i just installed the x1400 drivers while the x300 is installed, then install the x1400? sure i wont see the bios screen or anything up until windows, but if anything ever goes awry i'll just put back in the x300.

apparently it boots fine, just no picture. though i would have imagined windows would have a default driver that would have ran it at low resolution.

just wondering, before i bother spending money on an x1400!

It wont work. unless you manually re-wite the driver. /me mumble about WMI etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

where are you getting the x1400 from and how much is it?
    you might just buy a cheap or second hand laptop for handy money for same performance gain. Try adverts. Not very hacker but maybe a lot easier.

em, yeah , i realise i could do that, but wheres the fun in that?

Thats the spirit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

em, yeah , i realise i could do that, but wheres the fun in that?

Good point what was i thinking. Thats what i get for posting @ 6AM. Crazy.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Anti wrote: »
    Back in the day with my DFI nf4 board there were a few people who did custom bios'

Good times :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement