Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris Brown assaults Rihanna.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

AnotherYou wrote: »
    Slagging you off? there's honestly no need to start making this personal, I'm making a point thats actually concerning this thread.

I'm not trying to annoy or put anyone down here I don't think I'm better just because I have a different outlook on the celebrity culture thats so important to some folk. I just think differently about it,

And I think I'm entitled, and lets hope encouraged, to voice that opinion and view in hopes other people might share their views on that same line of thought. It pisses me off that I have to go off topic to explain my commenting here. This is a threat on something, I'm making comments pertaining to that and my own opinion on it, just because I'm not agreeing with you that its important doesn't mean you need to light the torches and run me out of your thread.

Now I'm not suggesting anything but that there are better things to worry about then this, domestic voilence is a reality that isn't just another chapter in someone's premature autobiography or magazine interview.

There was a time when celebrity represented acclaim for acheivement, and at this point I'm voicing a frustration that sympathy seems to entitle people to fame an fortune. The world is becoming less about moving forward and more about holding one another back.

As I said in the last comment you seemed to hate, I'm actually here to learn about why you think we should really care about this story, its not relevant to the music of either concerned party, I mean we are perfectly entitled to talk about it, but I just wonder why we seem to want to?

I'm sorry if I ever seem rude but sugarcoating these opinions would be dishonest and time consuming for both of us
    underpantsgnome I'm sorry bro I was a bit rude to you. This wasn't personal I was angry about the topic not you. Sorry.
    If you want to know why people want to care about a 'celebrities' such as this then go away and post in humanities. The people posting in this thread aren't talking about why they want to care, nor do they want to talk about that, they just want to talk about the topic itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

If you want to know why people want to care about a 'celebrities' such as this then go away and post in humanities. The people posting in this thread aren't talking about why they want to care, nor do they want to talk about that, they just want to talk about the topic itself.

As much as I agree with you I think it's best that we leave that and get back to the topic at hand.

I don't want this brought up again on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭AnotherYou

Yeah I think I can agree with that. I just have no idea why someone would post in places that are predisposed to agreeing with your ideas instead of a bit of healthy discussion of the whole idea of this interest in peoples private lives with the people who actually have that interest.

It is a really bad story if it turns out its true. I might add I'm not a nutter who's out for a row, I'm actually quite fond of Rnb and I listen to this stuff (mostly on nights out thought) so its a bit unfortunate that Rhianna will presumably be out of action for a while as a singer she seemed to pretty much be churning out floor filling hits like no ones business, ditto Chris Brown (who seemed to be riding the coat-tails of forever for a bit to long though, re-releasing it and stuff), but its all their load to bear in my opinion I don't think speculating about it or assuming who did what is a healthy way to spend your time.

Thanks anyway I'll leave you to it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I guess we all have a range of viewpoints on this sad state of affairs.

Firstly, it should never ever happen, but it did, and Rihanna found herself in a position where she could do some good and raise awareness of domestic abuse. But given her state of mind, would she have even thought of doing that? It would've meant giving up any chance of reconciliation with the man she loves and given her age and lack of experience, the head would never have ruled the heart it appears. The vibes were that she wanted to be back with him.

Is it a classic case of the victim blaming herself..."He wouldn't have done it if I hadn't hit him first"? I'm assuming she did strike out first, but that shouldn't make a difference...except to highlight that they are wrong for each other...no matter how much in love(lust) they are. There was a point where he could've walked away from her, but he chose to fight back...and then he chose to fight to win. When I read the quote that "he is happy to be back with the woman he loves", it made me want to vomit. If you love someone, you don't give other women your phone number. If you love someone, you don't beat her to unconsciousness...and THEN RUN AWAY, not knowing how she is!!! It would seem Rihanna has fallen prey to self-blame and probably believes that they can sort things out. Maybe they can, but history leads us to believe that this will happen to them again...and again. I fear this thread could become a sticky!

From the outside looking in, we all know what she should've done, but should we be too harsh in our criticism of her for choosing the path she's taken? We aren't directly involved, so we don't feel her pain. She, like many women before her, has chosen to follow her heart. We shouldn't blame her...or any other woman in this situation. It's not their fault, and maybe in their state of unparalled vulnerability, the correct and most difficult path is just too hard.

Sadly, the real winner in this is Chris Brown. It's very unlikely he'll be charged over this and even if the D.A. can still pursue the case without Rihanna pressing charges, she will probably have changed her mind since she gave the original statement to the police.

Having tried to understand her decision, I still can't respect it...and I doubt her fans will either. She would've won many fans over if she'd stayed strong, but now I feel she will lose many. She may just have put her musical career, not to mention her life, in danger.

Let's hope not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

Ok, everything that can be said, has been said. But how did she manage to get bite marks on her thigh??? i have seen a few scuffles between men and women, but this injury is new to me!!

I was speaking to my boyfriend about this, and i know he would never hit me, and i would never question that but, he did say he thinks its alot worse to hit a child then a women, and yet slapping a child is a little bit more acceptable. I thought he had a good point. I never had a problem with children being slapped, but after he pointed out this comparision, i have decided if i ever have kids, i wont slap.
    This is probably the wrong place to bring this up, but just my thoughts on the whole thing.
    Back to the thread, i never ever want to hear anything about Rhianna again, she took him back, she is a fool, i no longer feel sorry for her, whatever he does to her again, she will just have to deal with it. How can she let him be around her family again, after what he did. How is it going to work.
    So much for her being a spokesperson for domestic violence, i knew it was laughable!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Orls81 wrote: »
    he thinks its alot worse to hit a child then a women, and yet slapping a child is a little bit more acceptable.

I personally believe there is a large difference between a quick slap on the back of the hand and beating the living daylights out of someone.

Yes, but even giving a quick slap to a women is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Rihanna's father, Ronald Fenty, tells Us of the apparent reconciliation, "I love my daughter with whatever road she takes. I'm behind her win or lose. I will be supportive. If that's the road she wants to choose, I'm behind her."

:confused:

JP Liz wrote: »
    :confused:

What else can he say? You know if he tries to forbid her from seeing him she'll only dig her heels in more. If she was forced to make a choice, she'd choose him at this moment in time.

The only way any of us learn is by making our own mistakes.

It's tough on her family, but all they can do is sit, wait and hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Yes, but even giving a quick slap to a women is wrong.

Let's not get all PC here. Yes you should never hit anyone but it happens. There is a big difference between a wife beater that loses it over some burnt toast and a guy that slaps a girl in the heat of the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

No man should ever hit a woman whether it being over burnt toast or in the heat of the moment! (imo) there is no difference.

On topic I have no sympathy for her now that she has taken him back! madness:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

XxlauraxX wrote: »
    No man should ever hit a woman whether it being over burnt toast or in the heat of the moment! (imo) there is no difference

Of course theres a difference. Its not just the act, its the situation around it

Do you thinks it ok for women to hit/bully their husbands? [and yes, it does happen!]

Get a grip

Hope it works out

I do think it's better if she left him, but see wha happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

They are saying that hopefully in time when all is heeled she will speak out and become a spokesperson for Domestic Violence. I lived with domestic violence for 15 years, i doubt my mom would appreciate Rhianna being a spokesperson.....hate to say it, but it laughable.
    Although, i cant wait to hear the full story. I bet miss goody two shoes Leona Lewis is shaking in her shoes, imagine her being linked to such a big story!!!:pac:

This idea is out the window now. Silly bint, next time she gets a hiding she can have no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

eoinbn wrote: »
    Let's not get all PC here. Yes you should never hit anyone but it happens. There is a big difference between a wife beater that loses it over some burnt toast and a guy that slaps a girl in the heat of the moment.

No, there isn't. Anyone that hits someone "in the heat of the moment" has lost control and obviously has anger issues. There is never any excuse to use violence against anyone whether it is against a male or female.

I'm sure Chris Brown will claim he did it in the "heat of the moment". Does that make it right. Of course not.

unreggd wrote: »
    Of course theres a difference. Its not just the act, its the situation around it

Do you thinks it ok for women to hit/bully their husbands? [and yes, it does happen!]

Get a grip

Hope it works out

I do think it's better if she left him, but see wha happens

I know it happens! And i never said it doesn't

what ever sex you are it is appalling to hit another no matter the circumstances! :mad:

read what watna posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hannah-j

i actually love chris brown
    wat he did was so wrong but he grew up with his dad beating his mum and i know thats no excuse but its what he grew up with

this...http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/2555199-tmz-rihanna-photo-shows-her-beaten-and-bruised-by-chris-brown

is barbaric though

xo:mad:

hannah-j wrote: »
    i actually love chris brown
    wat he did was so wrong but he grew up with his dad beating his mum and i know thats no excuse but its what he grew up with

this...http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/2555199-tmz-rihanna-photo-shows-her-beaten-and-bruised-by-chris-brown

is barbaric though

xo:mad:

You're right, it is no excuse. My dad smoked a lot when we were young, but none of us ever touched a cigarette. It was a personal choice.

Seeing the hurt that his dad could inflict on his mother should've been enough to convince him that physical abuse is wrong.

We're talking here about a guy who went beyond the point of fighting back. He beat up the 'woman he loves', allegedly choked her to unconsciousness...and then, at a point where the heat of the moment should've worn off and realisation of what had just transpired taken over, he turned his back on his unconscious girlfriend, RAN AWAY and turned himself into the police 24 hrs later with his lawyer. In those 24 hrs, did he even check if she was still alive?

I'm not having a go at you personally, but how does someone remain a fan of him after that? There comes a point where a celebrity does something so bad that adulation for him/her must stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Ragardless of Rihanna's age and experience in love and relationships I have to say that it should be common sense for someone in this day and age to know not to stand for physical abuse in a relationship. This was hardly a minor incident and I think she is a complete idiot to go back with him.

Has she not seen "What's Love Got to Do With It?" for God's sake??:D If you can't learn from your own mistakes, at least learn from someone elses. That's what I do.

Ragardless of Rihanna's age and experience in love and relationships I have to say that it should be common sense for someone in this day and age to know not to stand for physical abuse in a relationship. This was hardly a minor incident and I think she is a complete idiot to go back with him.

Has she not seen "What's Love Got to Do With It?" for God's sake??:D If you can't learn from your own mistakes, at least learn from someone elses. That's what I do.

It should indeed be common sense, but the thing is, when you or I look at the situation, we simply think of one thing, the beating. I imagine she also deliberated over what to do, but she will have had far more things to think about...'Did I cause it, is it my fault?', 'But he loves me and he's really sorry', 'I love him, I should give him another chance...we can work through it', 'He is such a caring and loving guy, that was not the real him'.

We shouldn't blame her or any other victim for their decisions as we're not feeling the emotions they are. Instead we should hope they don't live (or die) to regret them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't buy it. I've never gotten into a fight and I would have to be extremely hard pushed to punch someone (which for the record I've never done) and find it despicable the idea of attacking a woman. I know it's my own way of thinking for a woman's perspective but as soon as a guy hits you, walk away. Most cases it's not that easy but she is an international celebrity, not a house wife getting walked over by her husband/partner.
    You can say all you want about history together as well, he beat the crap out of her, no amount of history is worth it.

POP star RIHANNA has told police she does NOT want to press charges against boyfriend CHRIS BROWN for allegedly battering her.

The 21-year-old is refusing to help with their investigation after rekindling her romance with the singer.

But detectives may still have a case against Brown, 19, and will hand their file to the Los Angeles County District Attorney later this week.

A police source said: “Rihanna says she doesn’t want to testify against him. She has had a change of heart and doesn’t want the case to proceed.

“However detectives are still building their case based on what she originally told them and accounts of witnesses.

“If the DA decides they have enough evidence, they can proceed without Rihanna’s testimony.”

She is a f--king idiot :mad:

I don't buy it. I've never gotten into a fight and I would have to be extremely hard pushed to punch someone (which for the record I've never done) and find it despicable the idea of attacking a woman. I know it's my own way of thinking for a woman's perspective but as soon as a guy hits you, walk away. Most cases it's not that easy but she is an international celebrity, not a house wife getting walked over by her husband/partner.
    You can say all you want about history together as well, he beat the crap out of her, no amount of history is worth it.

I completely agree with you, but I'm trying to understand it from the perspective of the person involved and not the perspective of someone reading bits and pieces on websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭eoinbn

XxlauraxX wrote: »
    what ever sex you are it is appalling to hit another no matter the circumstances! :mad:

read what watna posted

Sweeping statements like are nonsense. Taking that literally means that if Rihanna hit Brown when he was assaulting her then she commited an appalling act.

watna: If what is reported is true then there is no defence for what he did and I never meant to suggest there was. I will also repeat and add to what I said above- in my mind there is a massive difference between what happened in this case and a quick provoked slap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sweeping statements like are nonsense. Taking that literally means that if Rihanna hit Brown when he was assaulting her then she commited an appalling act.

watna: If what is reported is true then there is no defence for what he did and I never meant to suggest there was. I will also repeat and add to what I said above- in my mind there is a massive difference between what happened in this case and a quick provoked slap.

Define "provoked" though? I drive my boyfriend insane by talking to him when he's trying to sleep, and asking him annoying questions and things. I often joke that one day he's going to hit me - but if he actually hit me, it would be very serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭UnderpantsGnome

Faith wrote: »
    Define "provoked" though? I drive my boyfriend insane by talking to him when he's trying to sleep, and asking him annoying questions and things. I often joke that one day he's going to hit me - but if he actually hit me, it would be very serious.

We all do things that annoy our partners. One mans "provoked" is another mans "flew off the handle".

• Advertisement

No that would be in defence.

:eek::eek::eek:

I doubt its ture, but if it is, then she is f**ked!! As far as he will be concerned, he owns her now.

But on saying that, she is young, i feel sorry for her. To love someone so much, maybe she thinks she will change him, and who knows, maybe this wont happen again. Its just horrible for her sake that EVERYONE knows about it.

I wish her the best, and if it does happen again, maybe she will leave him then.

Cant believe P diddy/puff daddy/sean puffy combs was involved!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Chris Brown and Rihanna married?
    Rihanna and Chris Brown have secretly married, according to one tabloid report.

According to Star magazine, Brown, who was arrested after allegedly attacking Rihanna last month, is believed to have proposed to the singer during their reunion at P. Diddy's Miami mansion last weekend.

A source said: "They had a tearful face-to-face meeting at Diddy's, during which an emotional Chris apologised, begged for forgiveness and proposed to her on the spot.

Advertisement"She was totally up front and confessed to him, 'I can't live without you.' "

After Rihanna accepted the 19-year-old star's proposal, the couple asked a minister to marry them at Diddy's mansion on the exclusive Star Island.

Earlier this week, it was revealed Rihanna's family were concerned about her reconciliation with Chris.

The source added to America's Star magazine: "All she's ever wanted was to be with him forever. Rihanna is looking for the husband-and-two-kids deal before she turns 25. She believes in fairy tales, and she wants to live hers with Chris."

The couple are still hiding out together in Miami

Stupid tool. She deserves a smack, no wait. ..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭autograph

It's amazing how people we don't know, who live in a different part of the world, who happen to be able to sing and are now in the public eye because of it, can take up so much time on a forum like this. I've read the contributions with a mixture of bewilderment and amusement (not at the notion of the assault but rather the idea of discussing these people).
    Suppose it makes a change from discussing the recession here at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

autograph wrote: »
    It's amazing how people we don't know, who live in a different part of the world, who happen to be able to sing and are now in the public eye because of it, can take up so much time on a forum like this. I've read the contributions with a mixture of bewilderment and amusement (not at the notion of the assault but rather the idea of discussing these people).
    Suppose it makes a change from discussing the recession here at home.
    Autograph, read the charter for this forum. Posts like that are pointless and contribute nothing to this thread. If you want to discuss the nature of celebrity worship then start a new thread either here or another suitable forum (AH or Humanities). I know you're new enough to boards so may not have known this so take it a friendly heads-up.

:eek::eek::eek:

I doubt its ture, but if it is, then she is f**ked!! As far as he will be concerned, he owns her now.

But on saying that, she is young, i feel sorry for her. To love someone so much, maybe she thinks she will change him, and who knows, maybe this wont happen again. Its just horrible for her sake that EVERYONE knows about it.

I wish her the best, and if it does happen again, maybe she will leave him then.

Cant believe P diddy/puff daddy/sean puffy combs was involved!!!!

Indeed.

I believe this article (psychologists explaining why Rihanna has forgiven him) highlights exactly what you're saying...
    http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25144393-5001031,00.html

Also...

Here's a blow-by-blow account of what transpired that night (no pun intended)

LAPD detective notes from a search warrant in the Chris Brown case, obtained exclusively by FOX 11 in Los Angeles, detail a horrific assault in the early morning hours of Feb. 8, the day Brown and girlfriend Rihanna were scheduled to perform for the Grammy Awards.

According to FOX 11, the notes reveal in shocking detail Brown shoving Rihanna's head against the window of his rented Lamborghini, repeatedly punching and biting her, and yelling, "I'm going to beat the **** out of you when we get home. You wait and see."

Brown is expected to appear Thursday in a Los Angeles courtroom to face possible charges in the case.

The alleged blow-by-blow happened as follows, according to FOX 11.

After Rihanna read a text message on Brown's phone from a woman, he tried to force Rihanna out of the car, but couldn't because she was wearing her seatbelt.

Brown then allegedly slammed Rihanna's head against her window, and when Rihanna turned to face him, he punched her.

The notes said blood spattered on Rihanna's clothing and the interior of the Lamborghini.

Rihanna also called her assistant, according to FOX 11, leaving a message saying, "I am on my way home. Make sure the cops are there when I get there."

Brown then reportedly replied, "You just did the stupidest thing ever. I'm going to kill you," and proceeded to punch and bite Rihanna. He allegedly put her in a headlock so long that she almost lost consciousness.

Brown and Rihanna have since reportedly reconciled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

what the hell is the girl thinking of?

getting back with him is mad enough, but marrying him???

hope for her sake its not true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I can't sleep at night thinking about this. Whatever is going to happen next. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

K4t wrote: »
    I can't sleep at night thinking about this. :(

wow.. ur sarcasm is so well done!!!!!!!

Source - TMZ.com
    It has been reported that Chris Brown, who has been charged with attacking Rihanna, has recorded a love song with her.

The website TMZ.com reports that the duo have been in a studio in Los Angeles working on the song.

The website says that the track was originally written for Rihanna before the incident involving the stars in February but afterwards it was decided the song would make a good duet.

The song reportedly focuses on a couple overcoming their difficulties, with a source telling the website that the recording sessions were "very, very emotional... the feeling in the room was pure love".

Neither Rihanna nor Brown has commented on reports that they are back together.

I think Rihanna should release a cover of Britney's Hit Me Baby one more time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kirankhan

He's normally very serious and disturbiad so if he feels the need to rush woman.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/usa/article2330328.ece
    US publication Star Magazine has heaped further misery on the stunning R&B star by claiming she fears her estranged boyfriend CHRIS BROWN could release a steamy home video the couple allegedly made together.
    A source who approached the magazine said: “They’ve had tons of crazy nights in bed, and Chris has recorded many of them...They both have very kinky sides.”
    It's also claimed that Rihanna enjoys role-playing and dressing up as a dominatrix and that she is allegedly worried Chris could put the footage out there for the world to see.
    The source went on to say: "Rihanna has no issues with her sexuality. But she'd be mortified if her friends and family found this out! .............

2009 has not started off well for Rihanna

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2009/0401/rihanna.html

I think it says a lot about celebrities when they believe their partner should apologise to them on Oprah.

If it's not a publicity stunt she's totally deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Serena08

I have no sympathy for her if she is back with him:mad: she knows what he is like seriously if he did it once he will do it again :mad:I am getting sick of reading about them :eek:

Serena08 wrote: »
    I have no sympathy for her if she is back with him:mad: she knows what he is like seriously if he did it once he will do it again :mad:I am getting sick of reading about them :eek:

Apparently (or hopefully rather) common sense has prevailed...

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=47846

R’n’B star Chris Brown’s plea deal – which saved him from a jail term for attacking his pop star ex-girlfriend Rihanna – was today condemned as a “joke” by justice campaigners.

Brown, 20, admitted assaulting then-girlfriend Rihanna just hours before the pair were due to perform at the Grammy Awards in February.

Under the terms of the bargain, Brown is likely to serve no jail time. Instead he will do six months’ community service and be placed on probation.

Domestic violence campaigners said the recommended sentence sent out the wrong message and could discourage women reporting violence.

Roslyn Muraskin, professor of criminal justice and director of the Long Island Women’s Institute, said: “It is letting him off the hook. What they are doing is letting him off easy.

“I do not know what it accomplishes. It is laughable.

“It will discourage people coming forward. It is revolving justice – you get a slap on the wrist and let back on the streets. It is not proper justice, it is a joke.”

The author of It’s A Crime: Women and Justice added: “It is typical (of the US justice system). They do not pay a great deal of attention to women who are the victims of domestic violence. When people get killed, that is when they pay attention.”

Retha Fielding, of the US National Domestic Violence Hotline, said: “There are so many deterrents preventing women coming forward.”

UK-based campaign groups also warned that “ineffective, low” sentencing does not protect vulnerable women.

But charities welcomed the publicity surrounding the case.

Deborah McIlveen, spokeswoman for Women’s Aid said: “We welcome the clear message that this sends around the world that domestic violence is unacceptable and perpetrators can and should be convicted.

“It takes a great deal of courage for a woman to report domestic violence to the police and go through the criminal justice process.

“We know that in this country ineffective, low sentences do not provide protection and often deter women from reporting domestic violence to the police.

“Sentences should reflect the severity of the crime and provide protection to the victim.

“Any domestic violence sentence, whether custodial or community-based, must include a requirement to attend an accredited perpetrator programme which help perpetrators address their behaviour.”

Sandra Horley, chief executive of Refuge, added: “Domestic violence is a serious crime that affects one woman in four during her lifetime.

“This case has highlighted the fact that domestic violence affects all parts of our society. A successful and popular celebrity like Rihanna is just as likely to experience domestic violence as any other woman.”

Brown was arrested on February 8, hours after a party in Los Angeles.

According to an affidavit filed by an LA police detective, the altercation took place in a car when the Umbrella singer checked Brown’s mobile phone and found a text message from another woman.

Detective De Shon Andrews wrote that Brown attempted to push Rihanna out of the vehicle before punching her repeatedly. He also bit her ear, the affidavit states.

He then allegedly threatened to kill her when she pretended to phone her assistant to get police help.

According to the detective, the alleged assault left Rihanna with a mouthful of blood. Brown is also alleged to have tried to choke Rihanna.

Following the attack, pictures showing the female singer’s beaten and swollen face were leaked onto the internet.

In court in LA yesterday, Rihanna had been on standby to give evidence.

Instead, after the guilty plea was entered, the singer heard details of a “stay away” order imposed by judge Patricia Schnegg.

Under the ruling, the former couple must stay at least 50 yards from each other, except at music industry events where the distance is reduced to 10 yards.

After Brown entered his guilty plea, Judge Schnegg said: “I think it is commendable you took responsibility for your conduct.”

The singer, once known for his squeaky-clean image, has lost a number of sponsors as a result of the attack on Rihanna.

As well as carrying out community service, Brown will also have to attend classes on domestic abuse. He will be formally sentenced on August 5.

he got off lightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It's ridiculous - they jailed Paris Hilton for 45 days for a DUI and he gets off with some teeny bit of community service for beating his gf to a pulp?!

JP Liz wrote: »
    he got off lightly

True, but he is a convicted felon now. Some were saying it was harsh as it was his first offence and that usually means being dropped to a misdemeanour. He can't be within 10 yards of Rihanna now. If he is seen too close to her, he could serve his full sentence.

In ny opinion, there should be no second chances for woman-beaters though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Pah, Chris Brown is only sorry he got caught. His apology means nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Meh, sounds pretty genuine to me, takes balls to do that in fairness. Although, too little too late springs to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

These people are always beating and shooting eachother.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement