Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to UK with Irish car, advice please!

• 10-02-2009 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭

We're moving to the UK and have a bloody hire purchase agreement on our car so are stuck with it for at least another 8 months.

So can anyone tell me how to go about taxing and insuring it in the UK? Would it have to be registered there or what?

Where should we start?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Can you not flog the car and pass on the HP agreement? You would pick up something cheaper without the hassle of re registering it in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Will you be allowed to bring an HP car permanently out of the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

sudzs wrote: »
    We're moving to the UK and have a bloody hire purchase agreement on our car so are stuck with it for at least another 8 months.

So can anyone tell me how to go about taxing and insuring it in the UK? Would it have to be registered there or what?

Where should we start?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :D

If you've paid more than half of the HP amount you can simply hand it back (assuming that's what you want/need to do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Mena wrote: »
    If you've paid more than half of the HP amount you can simply hand it back (assuming that's what you want/need to do).

You'll lose your credit rating in the process - not a wise thing to do in these times.

I'd try to sell the car on and settle the remaining payments. As AudiChris said, im not sure you will be allowed to permanently bring the car out of the country with outstanding finance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Deadzone

Pay off balance, import to UK, register with DVLC (?) Claim VRT refund! Is this possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Deadzone wrote: »
    Claim VRT refund! Is this possible?

Nope.

Most cost effective way IMHO would be:
    Sell car
    Pay off finance with the proceeds
    Buy new car in UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

You'll lose your credit rating in the process - not a wise thing to do in these times.

I was under the impression that it didn't, but can't find any details...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭carface

Deadzone wrote: »
    Pay off balance, import to UK, register with DVLC (?) Claim VRT refund! Is this possible?

good advice, there is no vrt refund but you dont pay any vrt to bring the car back again you will get same irish no. again. how long are you going to be in uk for?? selling now means the hassle of buying overthere again and unless you are staying more than 6months you have to pay the vrt on what you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

You can drive your Irish car in the UK with Irish tax, insurance and plates for up to 6 months:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_10014623

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You can drive your Irish car in the UK with Irish tax, insurance and plates for up to 6 months:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_10014623

Best idea - suck and see, then decide. No costs involved.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

read it in full once the keeper becomes resident(permanent) in uk they must immediately register the vehicle in uk. So how long is your stay in uk??
    moving???permanently means you will become a resident...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Clear it off, sell it. buy identical car in the uk and have a holiday with the change.

mickdw wrote: »
    Clear it off, sell it. buy identical car in the uk and have a holiday with the change.
    Quick sale price here (haggleing,discount,silly bids etc.)-finance owed may not leave you much to spare.try borrowing again over there in a new job and rented address not as simple as people think.what are you driving??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

This might be stating the obvious, but regardless of what you do, remember to sell the car in Ireland, not England.

Unless it's something very unusual, it will be worth more in Ireland, even if you keep it in England for a few years. If it gets re-imported back to Ireland it will definitely not need to be VRT'ed again (will be flagged based on the chassis number if you did try to VRT it again, even if you didn't know the original reg number).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

mickdw wrote: »
    Assuming they can find someone to buy it!!

from a conversation I had with my insurance company a couple of years ago, they have no limits on the time a car can be in UK, and remain fully insured by them. So it's likely that the OP could bring their car to the UK, and keep it road legal. OP hasn't said if it's a perm move, or temp. OP suggests that they're moving as a couple, if one of them wasn't going to be employeed will in the UK, I reckon they'd be able to claim non residency, and comply stricly with the UK law on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

I moved to the UK almost 2 years ago. I had my Irish reg car for over a year in the UK. Yes you are supposed to get the car registered after 6 months in the country but it is quite lax from my experience. I went to the DVLA and got the forms but did nothing about it. I had the intention of bringing the car back to Ireland to sell it anyway so I wasn't keen on registering it in the UK.

I received a parking fine and never paid it as they have no way of tracking an Irish reg. You will never be caught for speeding (not that I was deliberately speeding around) it's just that there are speed cameras everywhere in the UK. Plus one weekend I went to Wimbledon and managed to get a bit lost around Chelsea (don't ask). Anyway, a lot of the roads in Chelsea have a congestion charge but it didn't matter as I had an Irish reg.

If you do get stopped by the police in the UK, which would be unlikely, you have to show proof of when the car entered the UK (i.e.- a ferry ticket). So technically after your 6 months in the UK have run-out, you get back on the ferry to Ireland and then return to the UK with a fresh ticket date and restart the 6 month period.

I sold the car in Ireland after a year as I felt I was taking advantage of the system. Catholic guilt and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I received a parking fine and never paid it

You may get away with the parking, but be careful not to let your motor tax lapse or they will clamp you.

Bring the car to an Irish dealer who has UK vehicles which have not yet had the VRT paid on them and do a deal, he keeps one with the VRT and you drive off in the UK reg one, pay off the HP. Drive straight to the ferry though, otherwise the customs might take an interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

carface wrote: »
    Quick sale price here (haggleing,discount,silly bids etc.)-finance owed may not leave you much to spare.try borrowing again over there in a new job and rented address not as simple as people think.what are you driving??

It's a Mazda 6.

I wouldn't think I'd even get what's owed on the bloody thing if I did manage to sell it. Isn't the market dead at the moment?

I moved to the UK almost 2 years ago. I had my Irish reg car for over a year in the UK. Yes you are supposed to get the car registered after 6 months in the country but it is quite lax from my experience. I went to the DVLA and got the forms but did nothing about it. I had the intention of bringing the car back to Ireland to sell it anyway so I wasn't keen on registering it in the UK.

I received a parking fine and never paid it as they have no way of tracking an Irish reg. You will never be caught for speeding (not that I was deliberately speeding around) it's just that there are speed cameras everywhere in the UK. Plus one weekend I went to Wimbledon and managed to get a bit lost around Chelsea (don't ask). Anyway, a lot of the roads in Chelsea have a congestion charge but it didn't matter as I had an Irish reg.

If you do get stopped by the police in the UK, which would be unlikely, you have to show proof of when the car entered the UK (i.e.- a ferry ticket). So technically after your 6 months in the UK have run-out, you get back on the ferry to Ireland and then return to the UK with a fresh ticket date and restart the 6 month period.

Thanks for that info EJLL! :D

And thanks all for all the other replies! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

EJLL wrote: »
    I received a parking fine and never paid it as they have no way of tracking an Irish reg.

Just be careful you don't get a fine in the same council you have your parking permit (yes they will give a parking permit to a non-UK registered car) as they will be able to find you.
    You will never be caught for speeding (not that I was deliberately speeding around) it's just that there are speed cameras everywhere in the UK. Plus one weekend I went to Wimbledon and managed to get a bit lost around Chelsea (don't ask). Anyway, a lot of the roads in Chelsea have a congestion charge but it didn't matter as I had an Irish reg.
    If you do get stopped by the police in the UK, which would be unlikely, you have to show proof of when the car entered the UK (i.e.- a ferry ticket).
    Yes, but they will also have a record of all the fines against your registration plate and will impound the car until you pay up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ailis

Hi Sudzs,

Just wondering how you got on with moving your car over? I'm moving over to uk tomorrow and bringing the car with me! I didn't think it was going to be so much hassle, but turns out we need a parking permit to park outside our flat and la will only provide permits for uk cars!! have you found this to be the case with you or is there any way around this?

Thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I received a parking fine and never paid it as they have no way of tracking an Irish reg. You will never be caught for speeding (not that I was deliberately speeding around) it's just that there are speed cameras everywhere in the UK. Plus one weekend I went to Wimbledon and managed to get a bit lost around Chelsea (don't ask). Anyway, a lot of the roads in Chelsea have a congestion charge but it didn't matter as I had an Irish reg

They may not have bothered following up, but they can if they wish. While an odd ticket will probably be ignored, you could end up with a substantial bill in the end if you are taking the piss and the thing goes to debt collectors.

Advertisement