Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering fireplace hole

Options
  • 10-02-2009 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi we have a room with a fireplace opening. it is a new build and we wish to block up the fireplace.
    can anyone suggest how to tackle this cheaply and neatly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭skinthegoat

I did this some 15 years ago and, while I'm not a builder and not even particularly handy, we haven't had any problems with it. Here's what I did:
    1. Cleaned chimneys - I've always done this myself.
    2. Pysically removed fireplace.
    3. Bricked up space, putting in one of those slide-to-open plastic vents, about 9" x 4"
    4. Plastered wall and did some smoothing of floor area.
    5. Redecorated.
    Don't know whether that's of any use. I was warned at the time that we would have problems with damp in the wall if we ignored the ventilation. We tend to keep the thing mostly shutin winter, and open it when we're out or not using the heating. As I say, though, I'm no builder and you may get better advice Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I did this some 15 years ago and, while I'm not a builder and not even particularly handy, we haven't had any problems with it. Here's what I did:

Sounds to me that you are fairly handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

sheet of plywood, a can of plastic finish aerosol and a tube of silicone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

homerhop wrote: »
    sheet of plywood, a can of plastic finish aerosol and a tube of silicone

Noice!!!

Advertisement