Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consequence of breaking 6 month WHV rule?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I'm on a WHV and just getting properly established in a job that I like after a couple of months.

Looking ahead, I'm considering my situation after 6 months. I don't fancy having to go on the job hunt again in these times. I could turn a blind eye to the 6 month with any employer limit and hope that the company does the same (which I think they might).

Just wondering how serious the rule is and what are the repercussions of immigration finding out. Would there be deportation? Or problems getting back into the country in the future? A fine?

And what's the likelihood that immigration would find out? Would they have access to my ABN info?

Any anecdotes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I'm on a WHV and just getting properly established in a job that I like after a couple of months.

Looking ahead, I'm considering my situation after 6 months. I don't fancy having to go on the job hunt again in these times. I could turn a blind eye to the 6 month with any employer limit and hope that the company does the same (which I think they might).

Just wondering how serious the rule is and what are the repercussions of immigration finding out. Would there be deportation? Or problems getting back into the country in the future? A fine?

And what's the likelihood that immigration would find out? Would they have access to my ABN info?

Any anecdotes?

If caught quite possibly future problems if you ever want to live in Australia.

But its all up to you... no one can help you decide if you want to risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

My guess would be that you would be deported, possibly fined, and face an exclusion period from traveling to Australia.

My other guess is that if you are paying tax in this job it wouldn't take long for somebody to notice.

My only question would be? If you are interested in staying in Australia why not look into the other types of visas. Talk to your employer/agency about this as they may have come across the situation before.

If you are only staying in Australia for a year then I would say get out of the job and see the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Also what happened to me, stayed with the same company just another company paid me (owned by the same people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

You can get a (short term) extension to the 6 months by applying to immigration. You have to basically prove that the company really needs you to work on a project that is running late. A letter from the company is basically enough to prove this.

I be fairly hesitant about just ignoring the 6 months. If you're deported you're generally held for a while and it costs a good bit in legal fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

It was a bit of red taope but not too bad.

It was made easier by the fact I was being sponsored I think.

From what I could gather from my Indian case officer irionically working in the Aus immigration office through her poor English language skills, I could have applied in advance of the 6 months, through my employer requesting this.

It did not soound like a big deal to request the exemption from the 6 month rule.

I would advise doing it as opposed to ignoring it.

good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement