Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sorting photos by date taken - hard one

• 10-02-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi,

sorry, but the question is way more difficult than the title might lead you to believe! :)

A pal had his wedding photos taken by friends. One of the friends had the wrong date on his camera.
    Now, the thing is that my pal wants to put the shots in order of time taken. There's loads of pics so to go through them manually would be very time consuming.

I thought maybe by file name but no. Any other ideas? We want to get the photos to appear in order (ala slideshow)

Has anybody been able to sort this before?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The date the picture was taken is stored in the EXIF data for each image file. You could use an EXIF editor like this to batch change the date. I'm not sure if you can change the date and leave the time of day untouched.

By the way, i've never used that software just found it from a google search, so can't vouch for it, but an EXIF editor is basically what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Read this thread.... You should have enough information here to extract the date and time of the shots. The third post by me in that thread has a download. If you use that download and follow the instructions in the thread, you can then paste the information into an excel sheet.

If you need any help with it you can request it here, i'll check back later.

Hope this helps

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

brilliant, thanks Noblestee!! That's what I was looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even if the camera had the wrong date - how does that prevent you from sorting them in the order of the time they were taken? The timestamps may be wrong but unless the clock in the camera was going backwards you'll still be able to sort them into the correct order.

coylemj wrote: »
    Even if the camera had the wrong date - how does that prevent you from sorting them in the order of the time they were taken? The timestamps may be wrong but unless the clock in the camera was going backwards you'll still be able to sort them into the correct order.

I assumed he collected everyone's pictures from more than 1 camera, and put them all into 1 folder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sorry, missed that - multiple cameras, one out of sync.

I would imagine though, that there are some wedding photos taken at the same time. From that you should be able to exactly how far out of sync the one camera is and correct from there.

I would imagine though, that there are some wedding photos taken at the same time. From that you should be able to exactly how far out of sync the one camera is and correct from there.

From the OP it seems it was just one camera out of sync by date only. So all pics from that camera appear first (or last), then the remaining photos are from multiple cameras but sync up with each other.

noblestee wrote: »
    From the OP it seems it was just one camera out of sync by date only. So all pics from that camera appear first (or last), then the remaining photos are from multiple cameras but sync up with each other.

Had misread that! That shouldn't be a problem then!

Advertisement