Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strikeforce April 11th : Diaz vs Shamrock

Options
  • 10-02-2009 11:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

Former Strikeforce middleweight champion Frank Shamrock will make his return to competitive fighting after a one year layoff when he takes on Nick Diaz during Strikeforce’s next event on April 11 at the HP Pavilion and San Jose, Calif.

The matchup had been rumored for the past several days but FiveOuncesOfPain.com was able to confirm early Wednesday morning that the fight has been finalized. An official announcement could be made Tuesday during a joint conference call to be hosted by Strikeforce and television partner Showtime.

Shamrock, 23-9-2, fights at 185 pounds while Diaz, 18-7, primarily has competed at 160 and 170 pounds. As such, it was not immediately clear what weight the fight between the two California-based fighters will be contested at. However, Diaz has gone on the record before in interviews and stated that he would have no issue going up in weight if the right opportunity presented itself.

For Shamrock, the fight vs. Diaz will mark his first bout since sustaining a broken arm that forced an end to his Strikeforce middleweight title fight against Cung Le last March following the end of the third round. Despite having received medical clearance to return last fall, Shamrock has not fought since losing the title to Le.

Shamrock is widely regarded as one of the greatest fighters to ever compete in MMA and was the first-ever UFC middleweight champion (later renamed the UFC light heavyweight title). The 15-year veteran holds notable wins in his career over Phil Baroni, Tito Ortiz, Enson Inoue, Jeremy Horn, Kevin Jackson, and Igor Zinoviev.

The 36-year old Shamrock will be giving up 11 years in age when he climbs into the cage to face Diaz. The 25-year old Diaz last competed in July during EliteXC’s “Unfinished Business” event, which was televised as a part of CBS’ Saturday Night Fights franchise.

This match up has made me come over all giddy. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Cool, i really like frank-he's a great fighter with all round abilities, and he's a funny lad with all his shiit talk!!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

cowzerp wrote: »
    Cool, i really like frank-he's a great fighter with all round abilities, and he's a funny lad with all his shiit talk!!!

I think Nick Diaz will dispatch an aged Frank Shamrock, though it won't be easy. Frank has a million more tools in his bag than "Stick to one game plan until death do us part" Diaz, but he has looked out of shape and a lot slower the last few times I saw him fight. It will sadden me if I am right though Frank (Sham)Rocks, Diaz is a spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The build up to that should be fun! My money's always on Frank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fozzy wrote: »
    The build up to that should be fun! My money's always on Frank

Stockon vs San Jose :D

Strikeforce are putting on another interesting fight in May:
    Strikeforce CEO Ready To Go To Work
    By Tom Hamlin/MMAWeekly.com

In many ways, Scott Coker’s work has just begun.

The CEO of Strikeforce is in Los Angeles to negotiate with several managers who's clients were until recently signed with ProElite, Inc. Last Thursday, he acquired 42 athletes from the troubled company, and wants to put them to work.

If there was a virtue that proved to be a commodity in his last three months as a promoter, it was patience.

“This is something that truly tested my character,” Coker told MMAWeekly.com about negotiations with ProElite, Showtime, and CBS. “I don’t think I’ve ever run across a deal that’s been this complicated, and had this many roller coaster rides. Because one minute I thought this was going to close, and the next minute, it’s not going to happen. For three months, it’s been a wild ride.”

Strikeforce’s new television deals could position it to become the sport’s next big player. The San Jose, Calif.-based promotion is set for aggressive expansion in 2009, chairing 16 fights on premium cable channel Showtime over the next year. CBS has also inked an option to produce four live event specials, though airdates haven’t been finalized.

That’s a lot of work for veterans and newcomers alike.

Coker himself plans on hiring three or four more employees, and says there’s a possibility that Strikeforce will open an office in the City of Angels. But the rule of the day will be to keep the promotion “lean and mean,” even as it undergoes its biggest growth spurt.

Next week, Coker will meet with Showtime’s New York executives to map out the promotion’s schedule for 2009. Strikeforce’s first Showtime-aired event is set for April 11 and will feature Frank Shamrock in the main event. Middleweights Benji Radach and Scott Smith are confirmed for the main card.

“Frank wants to fight Tito Ortiz,” Coker said of Shamrock’s potential opponent, though he wasn’t aware of Ortiz’s contractual status with longtime employer UFC. Prior to his debut as a color commentator for Affliction Entertainment, Ortiz called Shamrock out in a video interview with MMAWeekly.com.

Though Ortiz has said he is eyeing a July return to fighting following back surgery, he was clear about his take on Shamrock.

"As a warm up fight – this is a warm-up fight – since I’m getting off a huge back surgery and so forth: Frank Shamrock. Frank Shamrock, step up. Yeah, he’s a little smaller than me, but he’s said a lot of things, he’s beat me the last time he was a smaller man. Step up or shut up.”

According to Coker, there has been "dialogue" about Shamrock facing Nick Diaz, but the main event is still a question mark.

For the co-main event of the April card, Coker has offered former EliteXC lightweight champion KJ Noons a fight with Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson. A re-match between EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and Joey Villasenor is a possibility, as well as a second meeting for Gilbert Melendez and Mitsuhiro Ishida.

This week, Coker will meet with Gina Carano’s representatives to shore up a deal with Strikeforce and offer a spot on the first event. If negotiations go well, a much-anticipated fight between the star and Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos may come to fruition.

“(Santos) has already sent me an email saying she wants to fight Gina and she’s ready to go, so we’ll offer her that fight,” said Coker.

Santos has already agreed to a four-fight, exclusive contract with Strikeforce, according to a report by Sherdog.com.

A second Showtime event is planned for May at the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, Wash., site of Strikeforce’s first foray outside California. Ed Soares and Jorge Guimaraes, representatives for former EliteXC fighter Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante, have already cleared him for a bout with Strikeforce light heavyweight Renato “Babalu” Sobral on the card. Sobral is expected to be offered the fight this week, though nothing is set in stone at this point.

Coker says his relationship with Japanese promoters from Dream and Sengoku will be essential for filling 2009’s calendar. In September, he gave standouts Kazuo Misaki and Ishida their first fights for an American promotion, and sees many exciting match-ups possible for as early as May. Among his “dream” fights: Melvin Manhoef vs. Robbie Lawler, Joachim Hansen vs. Josh Thomson, and Shinya Aoki vs. Gilbert Melendez.

“We’re going to continue to expand on that relationship,” he said. “We’d like to have some of their top guys come and fight some of our top guys.”

In a fight sure to agree with Japanese fans, Coker says he’s considering a main card bout – though not a headliner – between Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson and Bob Sapp, possibly as soon as the Tacoma event.

“I would say by the second week of March, we’ll have the next 12 months laid out,” said Coker, adding he’ll pitch the return of 8-man tournaments to Showtime and CBS. “We’ll map out three or four main events and co-main events, months out.”

While he’s about to get very busy in the coming months, the 25-year veteran of kickboxing, Sanshou, and MMA events is happy to have cleared the major hurdle to expansion.

“It’s been very emotionally draining,” he said. “I’m glad it’s over with so we can go to work.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8154&zoneid=2

:eek:

PRIDEs alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I think Nick Diaz will dispatch an aged Frank Shamrock, though it won't be easy. Frank has a million more tools in his bag than "Stick to one game plan until death do us part" Diaz, but he has looked out of shape and a lot slower the last few times I saw him fight. It will sadden me if I am right though Frank (Sham)Rocks, Diaz is a spanner.

Gotta disagree - Diaz is a pretty elite fighter in my opinion, and has the talent to put Shamrock away. Frank looked old and slow against Cung Le last year, and the lay off nursing the injury cannot have helped.
    Diaz is a bad ass, and I wouldn't necessarily like him as a person, but I think his jits is excellent ( see Gomi ), his escapes and movement are VERY quick on the ground ( see Sanchez ) and he can land a heavy punch ( Lawler ).

I just hope that this isn't the beginning of the other Shamrock ruining his legacy just as Ken has done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

rovert wrote: »
    Stockon vs the World :D

Strikeforce are putting on another interesting fight in May:

:eek:

was talking to Baroni pre-UFC 93 and he said his next fight was in April, and likely in the UFC - wonder was that hope rather than expectation. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It will be an interesting fight for sure. I like both fighters but i have to be honest and say i fancy Diaz to win this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm a big Frank fan but can't see a win for him here, agreed he did look old against Le and add injury and a year away to that.

Good to see Strikeforce get some more events going. Wonder whats going to happen with all the elite xc guys the snapped up ? Seeing as some of them where champ and they already have their own.

Is Cung le still away making movies ??? Love to see him back in action this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Always like watchin both these guys, there about the same weight wise (about 190) so its a good fight if it happens. Diaz hasnt looked the same in his past 3 or 4 fights. He slowed down alot and seems to take too much unnecessary damage. Franks getting a bit older but ill still favour him to get the win.

Frank and robbie would be a good match if the diaz fight doesnt go ahead.

Frank will murder Diaz, I'm goin on record with that right now.

• Advertisement

Frank will murder Diaz, I'm goin on record with that right now.

I disagree. :D And i will even offer some feeble points.

When you don't take Diaz seriously he messes you up. Frank will prepare for Diaz as hard as he can, but his knee's, age and other injuries will hold him back from being the machine he once was. He'll lack the cardio against a younger man. It's not that he won't think Nick can beat him, i honestly don't think he would have taken the fight if he didn't see SOME challenge in it but he'll just fight his current style of fight, to put on a good show. Diaz will fight to win and he is exactly the type of fighter to get you when you don't expect it.

Also, Diaz is no slouch, he genuinely has the tools to hang in there with the best of them.

Thats about it.

Dragan wrote: »
    I disagree. :D And i will even offer some feeble points.

When you don't take Diaz seriously he messes you up. Frank will prepare for Diaz as hard as he can, but his knee's, age and other injuries will hold him back from being the machine he once was. He'll lack the cardio against a younger man. It's not that he won't think Nick can beat him, i honestly don't think he would have taken the fight if he didn't see SOME challenge in it but he'll just fight his current style of fight, to put on a good show. Diaz will fight to win and he is exactly the type of fighter to get you when you don't expect it.

Also, Diaz is no slouch, he genuinely has the tools to hang in there with the best of them.

Thats about it.

The way I see it, they're both hard as nails. But where I see the difference is that Frank is much more powerful. I think he'll be too big and too strong for Diaz. I can see Diaz lying KO'd on the floor but I can't see it the other way round.

It will be a fun fight to watch and the build up will be epic but I just see Frank being that bit too much for Diaz size wise.

LoL, it seems part of Shamrocks fight prep is going to be making idiots of people like me!

“I’m gonna smash everybody,” said Shamrock, never one to lack confidence. “I’m tired of entertaining for the sake of entertainment. Now I’m just gonna destroy everybody, and people can just be entertained by that. I’ve decided my limbs are too valuable to be breaking for the entertainment of fans. I’m gonna break other people’s limbs.” - Frank Shamrock

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/shamrock-sees-new-prototype-in-gsp-16155

Press Conference pic :D:
    diazshamrockfinger21.jpg

You can see Frank standing there thinking "Good little Diaz, make me some money".:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Jaysus Frank looks like a 155 pounder these days..

*BUMP*

So anyway I must say Id higher hopes and enthusiasm for this than I do now.

I'm still really excited for it. I haven't read or heard any hype for it though as I've been avoiding MMA and wrestling sites all week because I haven't watched the last DREAM show or that big wrestling show yet :pac: Although I did see Frank in the front row at that

I think I heard that Josh Thomson is off this show now? With a broken leg I think. Pity, he really surprised me against Melendez last time out

I've had more fun watching Frank in the last few years than any other fighter I think, so I'm really looking forward to this

Yeah Im hoping to catch up on DREAM too this week has been a killer. I hoping Frank at least puts on the effort that we all expect despite the lay off. Josh Thomson broke his tibia.

Is the premium Webcast for this show available over in Ireland? The features on it sound so cool.

Here's the fight card:
    Main event:
    179 lbs.: Frank Shamrock (23-9-2) vs. Nick Diaz (18-7)

Main card (Televised):
    155 lbs.: Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez (14-2) vs. TBA
    140 lbs.: Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos (6-1) vs. Hitomi “Girlfight Monster” Akano (14-5)
    185 lbs.: Benji “Razor” Radach (19-4) vs. Scott “Hands of Steel” Smith (14-5)
    265 lbs.: Brett “The Grim” Rogers (8-0) vs. Ron Humphries (5-0)

Under card (May not be broadcast):
    265 lbs.: Marcus “Beyond Normal” Royster (0-1) vs. Yohan Banks (2-1)
    185 lbs.: Luke Rockhold (3-1) vs. Buck Meredith (3-2)
    185 lbs.: Eric Lawson (8-2) vs. Richard Montoya (6-5)
    185 lbs.: Raul Castillo (5-0) vs. Brandon Michaels (0-2)
    170 lbs.: James Terry (5-1) vs. Zak Bucia (1-1)
    135 lbs.: Jeremy Tavares (0-3) vs. Shingo Kohara (0-0)

What are the webcast features?

I forgot that Mrs Cyborg was fighting. Hopefully they can get Carano under contract, although the best time for that fight between them might have passed. I'm sure it'd still be a great fight though

I'm looking forward to the Brett Rogers fight too. He seems to have something in him

• Advertisement

What are the webcast features?

I forgot that Mrs Cyborg was fighting. Hopefully they can get Carano under contract, although the best time for that fight between them might have passed. I'm sure it'd still be a great fight though

I'm looking forward to the Brett Rogers fight too. He seems to have something in him

Well the Observer (catch up Fozzy :p) had:
    The 4/11 Showtime card in San Jose is at the pace to do 14,000 people. That is counting on a good walk-up, because Frank Shamrock fights in San Jose usually pick up steam in the last week. It is possible it would beat the Shamrock vs. Cung Le numbers. The televised card of Brett Rogers vs. Abongo Humphrey, Scott Smith vs. Benji Radach, Cristiane Santos (formerly known as Cris Cyborg) vs. Hitomi Akano, Gilbert Melendez vs. Rodrigo Damm and Shamrock vs. Nick Diaz will air both as a PPV in Canada, and as a unique attempt at an Internet PPV on the Showtime web site, in both cases for $24.95. The Internet PPV, called Strikeforce All Access, will allow viewers to choose from two different sets of announce teams , as well as allow viewers to choose their own camera angles, purchase the entrance music online and view photos. The TV announce team will be Gus Johnson, Mauro Ranallo and Pat Miletich

I think it is a really forward thinking move to create a USP(s) for the webcast to combat the lure of illegal streams.

Melendez vs Damm is for the interim lightweight title now. Fair enough with Melendez, but what has Damm done at all to deserve it?! He lost his last fight in September, I think. If it's just an excuse to turn it into a five-rounder then I guess it's not too bad

I think that Melendez will wear him out on the feet easily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Anyone know when this will be on telly?

(Just watched a re-run of Shamrock v Baroni, great fight!)

I haven't heard anything about it being on tv over here

Cyborg pulled a Carano. She weighed in 7lbs overweight on her first attempt. The commission wanted her to at least be within 6lbs of Akano's 143.5lbs weight, but she could only make 150lbs on her second try. The commission decided to let the fight go ahead, but the word is that Akano is pulling out

I haven't heard anything about it being on tv over here

Cyborg pulled a Carano. She weighed in 7lbs overweight on her first attempt. The commission wanted her to at least be within 6lbs of Akano's 143.5lbs weight, but she could only make 150lbs on her second try. The commission decided to let the fight go ahead, but the word is that Akano is pulling out

Yea she's out. Her manager said:

“I think it’s really about time that we have to set the precedent that you should really make the weight … [Santos] knew that she has to make 146 three months ago, so she hopped on the scale hoping the Japanese [fighter] would take the fight; just because, you know, usually [the] Japanese [fighter] doesn’t walk away from a fight. So I think they took advantage of [that].”

I'm really rooting for Frank tonight to be honest. If he puts Diaz on his back he could be in trouble but otherwise he SHOULD be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Yea she's out. Her manager said:

“I think it’s really about time that we have to set the precedent that you should really make the weight … [Santos] knew that she has to make 146 three months ago, so she hopped on the scale hoping the Japanese [fighter] would take the fight; just because, you know, usually [the] Japanese [fighter] doesn’t walk away from a fight. So I think they took advantage of [that].”
    7 pounds is ridiculous. What is it with these chicks and making weight? These fights should just be pulled every time it happens, end of story.

The fight's back on according to fiveouncesofpain.com. They had reported that it was only called off after hours of negotiation, so that would indicate that it was a money issue

I hate to see fighters come in overweight, but the thing is that if Akano did pull out, then she loses out on a payday, she probably won't be asked back to Strikeforce, and she loses the chance to beat Santos on live tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Shamrock Vs Diaz result :
    Diaz via tko in the 2nd round
    video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyd83jZaQrY&feature=channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Wow, Diaz really dominated him. I don't Diaz as a person but I love watching him fight and Frank just didn't have an answer for anything Diaz through at him. He lost the standup and the ground decisively. Sorry Frank but if that's the best you have left, it's past time to retire.

Not to take anything away from Diaz. Good win. (you know, in case he's reading this :D ).

Advertisement