Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential Fatty Acids

• 10-02-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

hey guys,

i've done a search for this topic but can't seem to find anything along the lines of what i'm looking for so please forgive me if this has been brought up already. i'm a WW'er but i'm starting to try get more into the full nutrition side of my eating. i think i'm lacking in essential fatty acids.

does anyone have any recommendations apart from the usual salmon or fresh tuna to get them into my diet but that would also be friendly to my WW points?

thanks a million in advance!!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

ladiee24 wrote: »
    does anyone have any recommendations apart from the usual salmon or fresh tuna to get them into my diet but that would also be friendly to my WW points?

That's going to be a very, very difficult task given that fatty foods rack up big WW points! This is when one of the big flaws on the WW system comes to light unfortunately :\

Walnuts, Brazil Nuts, Hazelnuts, Pecans, seeds (most types) and spinach are all decent sources of Omega-3 (well, technically these will be ALA's but can be converted to EPA and DHA by our bodies). You don't need to worry quite so much about Omega-6, we tend to get a lot of it in our westernised diet without even realising it thanks to the abundance of grains in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

g'em wrote: »
    That's going to be a very, very difficult task given that fatty foods rack up big WW points! This is when one of the big flaws on the WW system comes to light unfortunately :\

Walnuts, Brazil Nuts, Hazelnuts, Pecans, seeds (most types) and spinach are all decent sources of Omega-3 (well, technically these will be ALA's but can be converted to EPA and DHA by our bodies). You don't need to worry quite so much about Omega-6, we tend to get a lot of it in our westernised diet without even realising it thanks to the abundance of grains in everything.

thanks so much g'em i completely agree with this flaw a pity as the programme works so well for me. i was thinking about trying to get as much in as i could as part of my main meal then bulk up with point free veg. maybe i might try a suppliment until i'm closer to my goal weight then i'll be maintaining & can introduce more foods containing what i need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Just saw your food diary there. I see one of your snacks is 2 kiwis (approx 100 cals (Don't know the points, sorry) A 17g serving of nuts has the same calories (i.e. approx 100) so maybe you could (cheat! :o) and point it as the same as the 2 kiwis because the fats in nuts are *really good* and so don't really require an additional 'loading' factor to the WW points, like say, the fats in chcolate.

Nobody has to know and they are the same calories at the end of the day so it doesn't matter too much if you just substituted them.

But I understand if you want to stick to the pointing by the letter - 'twas just an idea / suggestion, because nuts are Teh nyom :D

Good luck (from the girl who could happily survive on nothing but almonds)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

thanks a million for the reply its really appreciated.

a kiwi is only 0.5 of a point so thats why i like to snack on them as they've got very little fat. i'll look up the sat fats & see if i can subititute in some nuts! that's the hardest part as the points are calculated on the calories & the sat fats.

i might just have to resign myself to a portion of oily fish 2 times a week plus a supplement til i get to my goal weight which i don't mind doing just wish this flaw in the point system could be over come with out maxing out on points :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

omega 3 enriched eggs and milk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement