Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get a new cat/kitten?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Up until recently we've always had two (sometimes more) cats. Our big old tom cat had to be put to sleep recently, aged 17. He was a really affectionate cat, a real attention whore who bullied our other lil white female cat, Cass, who's 8yrs and quite timid and was a wild stray.

I'm wondering whether or not to add another cat to the house.

On one hand, I think that I have the opportunity to adopt a rescue cat/kitten and I think a companion would be good for my female cat. I was thinking that a kitten might be better, as then Cass would be the boss of the house!

On the other hand, i am wondering if it would be fair on Cass to bring in another cat to the house, it might permanently put her nose out of joint.

I would appreciate any opinions or advice on the matter! thanx!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I feel you should get another cat.

Your current cat would appear to be used to feline company,so go for it is my advice.

I think it really depends on Cass'es personality, did she enjoy the company of the other cat. Despite the bullying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Eadaoin_

I say go for another cat, Your cat is already used to another cat in the house, i would resue a cat as thats always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

I would say yes get another cat/kitten as i think they enjoy the company of each other.

I have a cat and when she was 4 i introduce a little kitten (less that a week old, eyes still closed) into the house. The big cat was put out for a couple of days but then got use to the kitten and as the little kitten began to get older they would sleep side by side, eat side by side etc.
    When the little cat just turned one she disappeared for a month. I thought she was gone for good. The big cat started getting use to been the head of the house. Anyway one night the little cat returned (very thin etc) but the big cat was put out! After two weeks (because a week of it the little cat was in the vets) they became best buds again and now they are like partners in crime. I hear them running around at night, playing with each other. When its time to go out they both go off together and return together.

So anyway after my long winded explanation, my advise would be yes, introduce another cat and if its a stray or one that needs a home then i wouldn't hesitate. They will be strange with each other at first but give them a few days or a couple of weeks and they will be best buds!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SmokeyJo84

thanks everyone for the advice! i think i am gonna go down to the animal foundation in kildare tomorrow, i hear they have over 40 cats and kittens looking for homes!

will update on the situation....i.e. if all hell breaks loose!

cheers x

• Advertisement

SmokeyJo84 wrote: »
    thanks everyone for the advice! i think i am gonna go down to the animal foundation in kildare tomorrow, i hear they have over 40 cats and kittens looking for homes!

will update on the situation....i.e. if all hell breaks loose!

cheers x

Fair play to ya! Let us know anyway how the new arrival gets on. Il be dying to know!

hey, just thought i would update for anyone who is interested!

i went to one animal shelter but didn't like the look of the place at all. I thought the area where they kept their dogs was fine (from what I could see) but there cat facilities consisted on one room in a house, that stank of cat piss, had no litter trays and only had one giant bowl of dry cat food.
    The cats all seemed in good condition but the volunteers weren't able to tell me anything about the animals, where they were found, approx age etc.
    All this and the fact that they never answered my phone calls, never responded to my voicemails and only opened the gates to us because one of their volunteers was driving out of the place, didnt leave me with a good impression.

Anyhoo, i went to DSPCA insteed and just fell in love with the place. I had a look at the cattery and have decided to take on a gorgeous, ginger long haired tom cat with three legs! but it was so hard choosing just one!
    couldn't take him home straight away so will try and post a pic when i can!

The place out there is amazing. I had a look at the kennels but it was heart wrenching seeing all the lovely dogs with their big doe eyes! And there was a gorgeous black horse that I fell in love with two!

Im gonna start going up there once in a while and become a dog walker!

Anyhoo, i went to DSPCA insteed and just fell in love with the place. I had a look at the cattery and have decided to take on a gorgeous, ginger long haired tom cat with three legs! but it was so hard choosing just one!

The place out there is amazing. I had a look at the kennels but it was heart wrenching seeing all the lovely dogs with their big doe eyes! And there was a gorgeous black horse that I fell in love with two!

LOL!
    You see i would have to turn my house into a Zoo as I would end up bringing all the animals home with me!
    You really need tunnel vision when going into shelters!
    Make sure you post a pic of him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We rescued a trio of kittens from a place like this; to get them out of there.

It stank to high heaven; diarrhoea on the floor, even a dead kitten in one cage.

The three were, it emerged, already thus infected with feline enteriitis - but no way were we going to send them back there.

We pulled them through, but one died then of a heart defect.

The other two are .... :) Wonderful cats. They repay their care every hour. Good mousers and ratters too...

This was the local SPCA place; so we reported them of course and supported a grant aid application to get them into new premises.

The folk there never knew we did that; they were angry and belligerent because we told the local vet how bad things were there.

But never will we forget that stench.

i went to one animal shelter but didn't like the look of the place at all. I thought the area where they kept their dogs was fine (from what I could see) but there cat facilities consisted on one room in a house, that stank of cat piss, had no litter trays and only had one giant bowl of dry cat food.
    The cats all seemed in good condition but the volunteers weren't able to tell me anything about the animals, where they were found, approx age etc.
    All this and the fact that they never answered my phone calls, never responded to my voicemails and only opened the gates to us because one of their volunteers was driving out of the place, didnt leave me with a good impression.

here's a pic of the new addition! his name is louie and is the most vocal cat i've ever heard!

if anyone is doing a clear out of cupboards/airing closets etc bring all your old towels to the DSPCA! they are so glad to get them

• Advertisement

OMG, he is beautiful!! Looks like he is up to mischief already lol. :D

he is gorgeous and he's really friendly...but Cass is giving her a bit of a hard time of it!

You would hardly know that Louie only has three legs, he's jumping around like a mad yoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

That's great news, best of luck with him! I was up at the DSPCA recently myself and I can only echo your comments - it's a great facility & the staff are brilliant.

Advertisement