Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting - Arklow to Ballsbridge - Advice Please

Options
  • 10-02-2009 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to arklow (my girlfriend's home place) so this would mean that i would need to commute to work. I currently work in ballsbridge but do not have a guaranteed parking space

I am considering driving to greystones and getting the dart to lansdowne road (which is right beside my work). I work 9 to 5.

Just wondering if anyone does this same commute, how they find, is it expensive etc. All info appreciated

also, if anyone has any other commuting suggestions that would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to arklow (my girlfriend's home place) so this would mean that i would need to commute to work. I currently work in ballsbridge but do not have a guaranteed parking space

I am considering driving to greystones and getting the dart to lansdowne road (which is right beside my work). I work 9 to 5.

Just wondering if anyone does this same commute, how they find, is it expensive etc. All info appreciated

also, if anyone has any other commuting suggestions that would be great.

Get The Commuter from Arklow to Landsdowne Road

http://irishrail.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

The train times are fairly poor and I only have the choice of one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

theres a large, free Park and Ride carpark in Greystones, but since they introduced pay-parking in the village I believe the P&R has been filling up - not sure how early you'd have to get there to get a space.

There's 2 trains from Arklow to Dublin in the morning (0613 and 0649), and 3 back in the evening (1640, 1725, 1837 from connolly - not all stop in Lansdowne Rd but you can connect onto them at Bray).

Of course at the moment the line is closed because of the rockfall on Bray head.

cheers for that loyatemu, can anyone confirm at what time the park and ride fills up at?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do you have flexi-time by any chance?

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »
    Do you have flexi-time by any chance?

eoin, i dont have flexi time as such but my job is somewhat accomodating as long as a arrive in the morning between 8 and 9 and work a full day from there

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

cheers for that loyatemu, can anyone confirm at what time the park and ride fills up at?

thanks

I get the 8.30 train, or used to before the cliff fell on the line, and get to Greystones P&R at about 8.15, and there's spaces then.
    The 8.30 gets to Landsdowne Road about 9.15, but the 8am will get you there in good time, even if the train is 'on time' i.e. 9 mins late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

thanks

What time would you be looking to park in Greystones?
    You should have no problem getting a space before 8.

Jemmy wrote: »
    What time would you be looking to park in Greystones?
    You should have no problem getting a space before 8.

I was hoping to get the scheduled dart for 7:52. that would have me at lansdowne by 8:36 (supposedly). That should mean that I'm in greystones at 7:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I was hoping to get the scheduled dart for 7:52. that would have me at lansdowne by 8:36 (supposedly). That should mean that I'm in greystones at 7:45.

You should be fine around that time, I've never seen it full even at 9am!

• Advertisement

Depending on where you are in the carpark - you should be fine - it takes about 5 mins to walk to the Dart station.

If you don't have a ticket, you will have to queue - these can be quite long and the machines can be out of order/not taking money/only taking exact change. If you need a ticket you need to allow 10 mins to get one - I've missed the train due to long ticket queues.

Waternews wrote: »
    If you don't have a ticket, you will have to queue - these can be quite long and the machines can be out of order/not taking money/only taking exact change. If you need a ticket you need to allow 10 mins to get one - I've missed the train due to long ticket queues.

That all sounds good, how much is a weekly/monthly ticket from greystones to town.
    that irishrail site is dirt, I am looking for the Adult 7 Day Rolling Rail?

That all sounds good, how much is a weekly/monthly ticket from greystones to town.
    that irishrail site is dirt, I am looking for the Adult 7 Day Rolling Rail?

The 7 day adult to Connolly is 30.80. I don't think it's any cheaper for Landsdowne, but you never know!
    No idea about monthly I'm afraid...

Let's just hope we actually can use the train again in 2009!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its cheaper to Sandymount I think - Lansdowne is the start of the City Centre zone. though the 0754 train is a diesel (actually goes through Arklow too) and doesn't stop in Sandymount.

Cheapest option of all is to get an annual ticket through the taxsaver scheme - saves hundreds over the course of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Waternews wrote: »
    And the don't care attitude of the staff chatting on the phone with train departure imminent and a queue waiting for tickets. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 prendema

Where is the park and ride in Greystones in relation to the DART station?

We are considering moving out near to Redcross and driving into Greystones to get the DART seems the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think it's by the golf course / driving range (past the station on your left as you drive towards Charlesland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It is. Be careful not to park in the council car park (you have to pay and display there). The P&R is the carpark behind that.

Advertisement