Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennys Bookshop and Gallery...what the??

Options
  • 10-02-2009 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

I always like to make a visit to Kennys on Shop Street whenever Im in Galway. I was down last week and was dissapointed to find that they have moved, way out to Lisoban (?) Industrial estate. So I drove out for a look; they are away at the back of the estate and are hard to find. I did buy some books, but it is the art that I was particularly interested in and it seems now, that the wall space is'nt there. Are there any plans for them to move back to Shop Street. This was such a good location

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Is the gallery in town not still open?
    I thought they had moved the books out to Liosban but kept the town shop open as a gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

They're both gone. Gallery closed quite recently. I think they own the building but no idea what will be leased in there :(
    Even the busker looked sad there today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Why would you miss it? Their prices were a joke.

Try Charlie Byrnes for reasonably priced books and a great selection.

For art, there are several smaller galleries around, or better still, why not buy direct from the Artists? Very easy to find their contact details in the age of Google.

For character to be honest. And stuff you couldn't get at Charlie's you could get there (old volumes etc). Of course vice versa, and Charlie is brilliant. I just felt there was a place for both. Nowhere to get my Gertrude Degenhardt (sp?) postcards walking down the street now!

In terms of tourism, the main 'drag' NEEDS more gallery space, not more retail tbh. Yup, character, and great chats, and simply looking in the window at nice paintings (for those of us who don't drive/have access to viewing at an art studio).
    Believe it or not, a LOT of people (particularly older folks) are not internet savvy. And there is no comparison between seeing certain art online versus the experience of seeing it in person imo.

Fair points you make inisboffin, I hope you don't think I was having a go at you?

It's just that it gets a bit sickening at times listening to the sycophantic stuff that gets spouted about Kennys from time to time. You'd think there were no books or Art in town until they arrived.

If you like quirky Galleries have a look at the Black Cat Gallery on Market Street. Or there's lovely stuff to see in the Bridge Mills. A bit more high end, but still nice to look, is the Bold Art Gallery on Merchant's Road. Ard Bia at Nimmos (and also in the West I think) have nice stuff. All great places to browse, but maybe not as into self promotion as others might be.

• Advertisement

No offense taken at all :)

I LOVE Black Cat in particular, and indeed all the teeny tiny spaces that are hidden away, like Café exhibits etc. Just tourist wise, unless on an arts festival map or something, they are not on the main drag. It would be great to get a gallery trail, for the tourist office, a sponsored one?

Still miss my Gertrude glimpses;)

I've some framed "Gertrude" postcards in my living room. My wife doesn't ever mention it as an ex girlfriend got them for me:) - so I know what you mean

Ha ha! My ex inherited the giant print of the Connemara fiddler (I think the original is in O'Connor's in Doolin?) so I can't bring myself to get that one!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Night Flight

inisboffin wrote: »
    They're both gone. Gallery closed quite recently. I think they own the building but no idea what will be leased in there :(
    Even the busker looked sad there today!

Ah F-; Galway changes every week you're away.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Oh what would I give to have the old 'instore' shop as a permanent arts space (both exhibits and performance). It is the most fantastic building and sadly so underused

• Advertisement

Webbs wrote: »
    Oh what would I give to have the old 'instore' shop as a permanent arts space (both exhibits and performance). It is the most fantastic building and sadly so underused

Do you mean McDonagh's (that was) on Merchants' Road? Agree completely, it's a fabulous building. Real Art Deco feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

the whole reason the shop closed down on High Street was that the costs of upkeep were too high. Allied with the fact that they werent selling half as many books week in week out as they would online through their own website or through amazon. guess they thought it best to move out to the distribution centre full-time. when they did things didnt really go there way as no one would lease the building. its not the kind of place that would suit many retailers too many steps, floors, cubby holes etc. so i guess they stuck the gallery back in there to bide time.

it always strikes me as funny that the public or interest groups feel they have a greater right to the property than the people who own the place. an taisce lead the calls to save kennys when it first closed (as well as Griffins Bakery). Yet no one seemed to take into account that times have changed and they were no longer commercially viable enterprises. Kennys had hopped on the internet band wagon and had outgrown the premises they were in...never understood what Hambleton et al expect business owners to do, stay open for the odd customer who might pop in every couple of months or cater to their base?

I completely understand why they moved. I just wish it weren't so:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Bet they're sorry they moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

luckat wrote: »
    Bet they're sorry they moved.

why would they be? they were making more money online than in the store, so....

Advertisement