Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending Service with Vodafone

• 10-02-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering if anybody has any extra insights into this for me.

I have been a pay monthly customer with Vodafone for years and I am considering switching to O2.

I am currently out of contract with Vodafone and 4 days away from the end of the current billing period.

On phoning Vodafone's customer service it seems that I still have to provide 28 days notice of terminating their service to me. They will bill me for that 28 days. 4 of those days would be covered by my current bill and the other 24 would arrive in another bill for next months billing period.

If I am out of contract with Vodafone how can they charge me for a service that I ask to terminate now. As in now. 4 days before my next billing period.

Customer service tell me that it is in the terms and conditions (they're emailing me a copy of the contract).

Have (or rather, had) I got two different contracts with Vodafone? One tieing me into whatever my last 12 month period was from my last upgrade and another separate contract of service that requires 28 days notice? It doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

Finally... Anybody know any sneaky ways out of this other than giving my notice now and waiting 3 to 4 weeks before switching?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

I've answered my own questions.

:mad::mad::mad:

Rage! Fume!

I got a copy of the agreement.
    5.2 This Contract may be terminated by either party giving to the other at least 28 days written notice or, in the case of porting, on the completion of the porting process.
    10.1 Customers wishing to port from the Network must contact the mobile operator to which they wish to port and will be responsible for complying with the porting requirements of that operator. Porting will be treated as a termination of this Contract. Customers are advised that that requests to port from the Network may be declined by Vodafone in the event that the Customer’s account is in arrears.

If I am "porting" then my contract terminates there and then. Good. That's precisely what I expected.

What is enraging me is that 4 separate Vodafone customer service representatives told me over the space of 30 minutes that if I was "ending my contract" it would be subject to 28 days notice which was billable. This depsite me making it very clear that I would be changing network - in fact I specifically said "I'm switching to an iPhone on O2" to 3 out of the 4 of them.

The fourth representative checked the details for me after I made it very clear what was said in the contract and the response was that it was ok. On this occasion they would "waive" the 28 days notice. Doing me a favour now huh?

Anyway... I'll be moving now, faster than I had planned if I can, and I'm considering putting in a formal complaint about Vodafones Customer Service shenanigans with the relevant authority.

Gah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

we had this question about two weeks ago and...
    If your cancelling vodafone, you must give 28 days notice, this will terminate your account and mobile number and you'll need to get a new number with 02

OR

If you want to move to 02 and keep your number just go into 02 before your billing period and port-you shouldn't be charged a months rental:) you'll only be charged the remaining 2 days or whatever.

Hopefully this has clarified things, I know you were given the run around by vodafone but thats the reply I got from vodafone about 2 weeks ago when I asked!
    Hope this helps!

Advertisement