Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query purpose of One months notice

Options
  • 10-02-2009 12:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

I am renting a room in my house since last year. If my lodger who has been a wonderful tenant decides to give me one months notice to leave, what does this mean for me? Have not faced this situation yet.

Do I give the deposit back when they leave or when agreed bills have come in and been shared? This could take a few weeks after person moves out. ( Don't want to be chasing people after they have left)

Can you advertise or allow people in to see the room and house during the one months notice period while the person is still living there?

It's a bit awkward as their room might be messy and uncomfortale for them to allow strangers to view it.

Do you ask the person if they could keep it showhouse tidy or wait to show it until they move out?

Would like to have the room & associated facilities rented as soon as possible without a big time lag.

Any constructive advice would be welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because this person is a lodger, their rights are very limited and the answers to all of your questions boil down to, "Do whatever you like".

You would of course be obliged to return all or part of a deposit, but to make life easier you may be better off estimating what the tenant's share of the pending bills will be (based on past bills), then propose to him that you give back the deposit minus that share.

In terms of advertising it, that depends on what you want to do. You can ask the tenant if he would be OK with you showing his room during that month, but you can advertise from now if you want to. There would be certain issues as regards privacy and allowing people into his room, so that's why I say you should discuss it with him.

Basically there are little or no legal constraints/obligations on you because of the nature of your renting, so the best thing to do is to discuss it with the lodger and come to an agreement on what's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamus wrote: »
    Because this person is a lodger, their rights are very limited and the answers to all of your questions boil down to, "Do whatever you like".
    You do of course have to act reasonably. You can't go showing the room at 3am when he's asleep.

You should be able to work out most of your bills - read the gas & electricity meters (you can get a key for the meter cupboard from hardware shops) and use the formulae on the bill to apportion them and apportion TV, etc. by time. I don't think there is a need to be absolutely exact - just agree something between the two of you.

Assuming bills are in order and there is no damage, you should return the deposit on the day they move out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 cerise

Thanks for the advice. Its is good to know.

We came to an arrangement as they had to take a % salary cut , I have reduced the rent by the same %. I figure a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush being recessionary times 'n all !
    I wonder are other rent-a-roomers also finding that they have to reduce the rent?

Advertisement