Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

short wheel defender

• 10-02-2009 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

just wondering how much you would be paying for 94 short wheel defender.
    any help would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

It all depends on
    Hard top or Pickup etc,
    Mileage on the engine
    Condition of body work and rust to the chassis etc.

A '94 can fetch anything from 1,500 euro to 4 or 5,000 euro

More details would help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

its a pick up with only 68000 miles on it was only used around the farm so lm told.some rust on the frame but chassis is clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

Hi Edward,

Ok were getting close. what condition is the cab? Seats etc. Is there a centre seat or a cubby?
    What about the doors( a bone of contention ) what condition are they in? Check the underside of the door frame as this is a potential rust hole( door bottoms are always going.
    What about the foot wells and the top of the bulkhead, around the air vents. This is another spot that rot.
    Finally, look around the underneath, rear chassis, front chassis legs and all the hangers around the side, also any diesel leaks from the tank or the engine.

Robbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

68,000 of pulling and horsing around a farm is the same as 200,000 of normal driving. There seems to be a bit of value in the older Defenders, I wouldn't pay more than 3k for it if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Try to avoid the 19j diesels(pre 1992) as they were a bit ropey. The 200tdi engines were the best engines landrover ever made imo. Reliable for high miles (they will be good for 200k miles) as long as its timing belt was done religiously every 50k.

Other areas to watch out on the landys were the rear out riggers, watch for rust there. Also watch the bulkhead another weak point as regards rust.

Watch for heavy clunk when taking up drive, its expensive to fix, bout 400 euro

Would recomend rust proofin the chassis in an oxide paint or something simmiler to kill the rust off.

For 4 to 4.5k you should be able to get a decent 200tdi with lowish miles on the clock

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replys lads brought it for 2700 but l'll have to do abit of work too it few more problems on it then i though:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

thanks for all the replys lads brought it for 2700 but l'll have to do abit of work too it few more problems on it then i though:(

Pictures:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ah there really easy to work on. Specs please. Oh and a picture aswell!

Edit

You arent anywhere near cappaquinn limrickman? We bought a defender there bout two years ago off a bloke there.....

yea l'll try get the pictures up during the weeks lads have to get a camera first:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

landyman wrote: »
    Try to avoid the 19j diesels(pre 1992) as they were a bit ropey.

We could go 'round and 'round the houses on this one. I've owned 2 landy's with 19J engines. They've both been great. I've also owned V8, 2.25 and most recently a 300TDi engined 'rovers, so I have a point of reference for comparison. The problem with 19J's is the way people treat them. You can't hammer them around, skip oil changes and generally abuse them the way people seem intent on doing with more modern diesels. You MUST treat them with respect. Do that, and you'll get a much more reliable experience from one.... Cooling is important, as is ensuring you've the correct exhaust system etc. There are all sorts of things to watch out for, but if you treat it using the original service intervals and replace parts like for like, you'd be fine.

Internet users are responsible for tarnishing that engines reputation without many actually having the experience they would suggest with their posts. Like I said, I've owned 2, both over 100k miles and no rebuilds - They were great engines because they were properly maintained and treated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement