Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerrof my lawn, Damn students!

Options
  • 09-02-2009 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

UL students are animals, all they succeed in doing is making a show of themselves....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

UL students are animals.

:p says the troll who likes to fight other trolls in a cage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

A week of rubbish from people who should have brains and do not care about the locals
    I agree completely. I am sick and tired of not being able sleep, having my dog cut his paw on broken glass which I then pay for (around 60 quid), vandalism, being called names for just getting into my car, having a next door neighbour suffer a heart attack when students randomly pissed all over his garden while he was trying to fix it up (RIP), hearing about the old woman down the road having to clean actualy student crap(literally) off the hood of her car.... the list goes on forever. I am in shock at how stupid a lot of these people are. I mean they grow up being spoilt rotten, then their parents buy them cars and ship them off to UL where about 5 lads move into a house together, destroy the house and then piss off everyone else. Thanks for making local people's lives hell.

TheLoc wrote: »
    I agree completely. I am sick and tired of not being able sleep, having my dog cut his paw on broken glass which I then pay for (around 60 quid)

there is broken glass all over the country no matter what city your in if your bringing your dog for a walk anywhere in the country there is a risk of cutting a paw.....come on

vandalism

call the gardai

incidently alot of student accomodation has been broken into and vandalised by 'locals' and there is **** all we can do about it either accept call the gardai

I am in shock at how stupid a lot of these people are. I mean they grow up being spoilt rotten, then their parents buy them cars and ship them off to UL where about 5 lads move into a house together, destroy the house and then piss off everyone else. Thanks for making local people's lives hell.

would you care to take a guess at the percentage of students in ul who

a) grow up spoilt rotten

b)have cars they did not pay for themselves(or even have cars at all)

c)have been shipped off anywhere they are adults at the end of the day

d)piss everyone else off

there are scum everywhere

there are drunken idiots everywhere

you are no worse or no better off than anyone else in any other city and yes iv gone to other unis and have seen the exact same behaviour. in fact iv gone to other unis all over the world and seen the exact same behaviour

ul or even 99% of its students is not your problem. people are your problem so please remember that before you tar everyone with the same brush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

You could always move; that or go on holidays when Rag Week is on.

Are you mad? I live in the area... I know exactly what goes on. 6 years ago the place was perfectly fine. then students (100%), started acting like nut cases and people up and left. now its worse than ever. Some plonker student jumped on my car for no reason last week and cracked the windshield. I ran out and he is very lucky i didn't catch him because I was going to kick him around the place. anyway called the guards, nothing they can do... lucky I have insurance but what If I didn't. they are mugs. u have them everywhere but the estates around UL are an absolute disgrace. 100% because of students. there is no way in hell you can defend them. and then the fella who says I should move away.... Is it that easy???? I'm not spoilt. I work very hard and have it ruined by students. and then I get told to move out of my home.... So they can piss all over the place and vandalise everything. Guards don't anything either. whats the use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

A week of rubbish from people who should have brains and do not care about the locals
    UL students are animals, all they succeed in doing is making a show of themselves....
    I agree completely. I am sick and tired of not being able sleep, having my dog cut his paw on broken glass which I then pay for (around 60 quid), vandalism, being called names for just getting into my car, having a next door neighbour suffer a heart attack when students randomly pissed all over his garden while he was trying to fix it up (RIP), hearing about the old woman down the road having to clean actualy student crap(literally) off the hood of her car.... the list goes on forever. I am in shock at how stupid a lot of these people are. I mean they grow up being spoilt rotten, then their parents buy them cars and ship them off to UL where about 5 lads move into a house together, destroy the house and then piss off everyone else. Thanks for making local people's lives hell.

So the three of you arrive here, derail a thread and post sweeping generalisations about students.....hmmm why don't I bugger off the the Limerick forum and post something like "all Limerick people are knife wielding scum" oh I know why I don't do it because it's not true and I'd be talking ****e if I did say it.

I could repeat what I've said in my earlier post in full but I won't bother....every part of the community has their fair share of arseholes (students included). It's not up to the rest of us to apologise for the arseholes where we work/attend college.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    there is broken glass all over the country no matter what city your in if your bringing your dog for a walk anywhere in the country there is a risk of cutting a paw.....come on

call the gardai

incidently alot of student accomodation has been broken into and vandalised by 'locals' and there is **** all we can do about it either accept call the gardai

would you care to take a guess at the percentage of students in ul who

a) grow up spoilt rotten

b)have cars they did not pay for themselves(or even have cars at all)

c)have been shipped off anywhere they are adults at the end of the day

d)piss everyone else off

there are scum everywhere

there are drunken idiots everywhere

you are no worse or no better off than anyone else in any other city and yes iv gone to other unis and have seen the exact same behaviour. in fact iv gone to other unis all over the world and seen the exact same behaviour

ul or even 99% of its students is not your problem. people are your problem so please remember that before you tar everyone with the same brush

Thanks....you know I love people who complain about students who were perhaps students themselves at some stage. You'd swear everybody but students were saints.

Are you mad? I live in the area

i live in the area too......so do most of the posters here
    then students (100%), started acting like nut cases and people up and left.

so 100% of the students are nut cases?
    Some plonker student jumped on my car for no reason last week and cracked the windshield.

not that it really matters but how do you know it was a student?

4 of my mates houses off campus were broken into last semester on the same night.....the gardai caught the scumbag guess what? it was a local...all locals must be thieving ****ers :rolleyes:
    anyway called the guards, nothing they can do
    ]

yes there is they are jsut being lazy and you know it

100% because of students. there is no way in hell you can defend them

sure i can its this simple

is the problem 100% because of students or are 100% of students the problem? there is a big difference

[quoteand then the fella who says I should move away.... Is it that easy????[/quote]

its not easy but if its as bad as you say why would you continue to live here(id argue that you knew there was a uni around when you bought a house here and that its a bit rich to be bitter now but thats probably for another thread)
    I work very hard and have it ruined by students. and then I get told to move out of my home

the point is you have a choice the university is not going anywere, irelands moronic alcohol culture is not going anywere and the morons are not going anywere so its up to you live with it or leave. i have to live with it while i get my education then im gone

Guards don't anything either. whats the use.

fair enough the gardai have their hands full in limerick as it is but the garda presence around ul at closing time is non existent and this is when the trouble happens maybe if there were a few arrests and a few expulsions the 1% of students acting out would cop on.

Are you mad? I live in the area... I know exactly what goes on. 6 years ago the place was perfectly fine. then students (100%), started acting like nut cases and people up and left. now its worse than ever. Some plonker student jumped on my car for no reason last week and cracked the windshield. I ran out and he is very lucky i didn't catch him because I was going to kick him around the place. anyway called the guards, nothing they can do... lucky I have insurance but what If I didn't. they are mugs. u have them everywhere but the estates around UL are an absolute disgrace. 100% because of students. there is no way in hell you can defend them. and then the fella who says I should move away.... Is it that easy???? I'm not spoilt. I work very hard and have it ruined by students. and then I get told to move out of my home.... So they can piss all over the place and vandalise everything. Guards don't anything either. whats the use.

If you leave its not your problem anymore, is it? You say you work hard- then use your hard-earned money to move elsewhere. I've had to deal with drunken student too, it was part of my job. Did I whinge and moan about it, hiding behind the anonymity of a message board? No. I got on with my job.

Obviously you were a saint growing up and did nothing wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

TBH I dont know where to begin. A lot has been said by other replies before this, and a lot of sense has been spoken by "students".
    Not all of us are socially retarded you know!

This nonsense makes me so pissed off. :mad: Yes there are incidents, and yes some people often get it more regularly than others, and its more than unfortunate, its just life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

klong wrote: »
    If you leave its not your problem anymore, is it? You say you work hard- then use your hard-earned money to move elsewhere. I've had to deal with drunken student too, it was part of my job. Did I whinge and moan about it, hiding behind the anonymity of a message board? No. I got on with my job.

Obviously you were a saint growing up and did nothing wrong :rolleyes:

To be fair klong, he shouldn't have to leave. Why should he? Students shouldn't be causing so much trouble that he even has to consider it. Those returning from the Lodge should be considerate enough to realise that they aren't the only ones living around here and that some people have to get up early in the morning. They should realise that it's not funny to jump on someone's car, to knock over wheelie bins or run screaming through residential areas late at night. I don't give a flying fu*k if they're drunk when they do it. I've been drunk many a time myself but I've never damaged another persons property or run around screaming and singing my head off at 3am. If you're drinking so much that you do these things and don't remember, or just don't care, then I suggest drinking less.

At the same time TheLoc has no right to tar all students with the same brush. I am especially taken aback at your allusion that students were the cause of another person's death. Before you say you didn't 'having a next door neighbour suffer a heart attack when students randomly pissed all over his garden while he was trying to fix it up (RIP)' clearly alludes to students being the cause of the heart attack and ultimately his death. That is not on. if you want students to have any respect for you you need to realise that only a minority of students cause trouble and most of us are not drunken fools or 'spoilt rotten'. Many of us work very hard to be where we are, and I mean in the academic and finanical sense, but no matter how hard we try we get no respect from the locals because they see us all as drunken scumbags who trash their property every night.

• Advertisement

That is a fair point (that he shouldn't have to leave). But, as you say, The Loc has no right to tar us all with the same brush. I would have some more sympathy for The Loc if he has lived in the area all his life- but from what I can gather from his posts he chose to move to the area. He knew that UL existed. No doubt he had heard from other people about what goes on in a student neighbourhood. And yet still chose to settle down here.

For the record, alcohol usually leaves me in a depressed(ish) state and therefore in no mood to go around causing grief for the neighbours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Try and keep it civilised lads.

Keep the sweeping generalisations to a minimum, and I'd like Harvard referencing where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Peteee wrote: »
    Try and keep it civilised lads.

Keep the sweeping generalisations to a minimum, and I'd like Harvard referencing where possible.
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

^what Petee said (except for the referencing bit:))

Assume that I'm watching this thread very carefully.

Yea I was a student. I was in LIT. Therre was no carry on like that when I lived in Mayorstone. Not a chance of it. And yes I'm putting you in the same bracket because you have repeatedly defended the gulpins and animals that have destroyed milford. and only students. it wasn't destroyed when all the family's were there. so how much proof do you want. I can't believe you are actually trying to defend them. There is no way I or anyone I know would behave like they do around milford. I've lived there for 10 years now and witnessed everything. you obviously don't know ****.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    not that it really matters but how do you know it was a student?

4 of my mates houses off campus were broken into last semester on the same night.....the gardai caught the scumbag guess what? it was a local...all locals must be thieving ****ers :rolleyes:

]

Yea they were students. there were about 13 or 14 of them talking the usual crap and talking like boggers. when I called the guards, they told they were students and their house was going to be raided tonight as they will definetly be having a party. of course they were students. there are only students in my estate bar exactly 7 familys. I'm not saying all students are complete fools but the good part of them seem to be. I mean I have loads of friends that were in UL and some that still are and yes they are not bad. but they are locals that still live at home. maybe they would be if they left their home. It's a disgrace how a lot of them behave and I have to say I am well shocked nobody else in this forum is even agreeing. you are all defending the students saying they are not responsible for ****ting all over the place, smashing bottles of bukfast and naggins, throwing a bottle at my father last year and jumping on my car (only a few examples) when I witnessed the little spoilt ****s with my own eyes. u should understand how I could be pissed off. and Students are meant to be the future of the country...

Klong, I understand what you are syaing, but you are wrong. My parents and me and my brother moved here over 10 years ago. I went to primary school in Milford for the last 2 years. a lot of my primary school friends used to live in elm park, oaklawns, milford grange... We have all seen the place disintegrate before our eyes and now we have to put up with... all the stuff I said above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Yea I was a student. I was in LIT. Therre was no carry on like that when I lived in Mayorstone. Not a chance of it. And yes I'm putting you in the same bracket because you have repeatedly defended the gulpins and animals that have destroyed milford. and only students. it wasn't destroyed when all the family's were there. so how much proof do you want. I can't believe you are actually trying to defend them. There is no way I or anyone I know would behave like they do around milford. I've lived there for 10 years now and witnessed everything. you obviously don't know ****.
    No they haven't defended them.

Are you really just reading something completely different?

personally, i think this stuff should be split into a new thread...been a while since we had an attack on all the students.

They've complained about generalization. thats all. and even though I accept that, everyone is still defending the students. I mean feeling sorry for me and then telling me I should move away or shouldn't have moved there in the 1st place and then telling me it probably wasn't students... all comments made by people defending the students and all are simply incorrect.

tbh, if you weren't making the wild generalisations then maybe you'd get support.

ranting and raving and generalising isn't the best way to get people on your side to be perfectly honest.

a) not everyone that posts here is in UL still.
    b) not everyone here engages in activities you mentioned

I do understand your concern tho, I did my 4 years in UL and never understood the idiot mentality that seemed to increase during rag week but I've also seen it walking around in DUB and at home too so it's not just students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

@TheLoc: You have to put into perspective how isolated these incidents are from the majority of the student community. You are taking in-excess of 10,000 students (reference required) attending UL on a full time basis. If you were to take that large a sample audience anywhere you are guaranteed to find some trouble-makers. Yes, there are some savages (as I would describe them) around UL, but you will get that anywhere such volumes of young people are living in a relatively localised area. It is unfair to group the entire student body into the same category when it is a small minority who are causing the trouble in the first place.

• Advertisement

But the thing is it is not a small Minority. It's not all students but I would say well into the 30% mark which is a hell of a lot. I know generalising is wrong. but with the amount of money they've cost me personally, and the amount of people who have been pushed to move away is stunning. this is why I tend to generalise. because this happens every single night except during the weekend when the students are gone.

Anyway I understand where you are coming from and know that a lot of students are there to learn and have a great laugh (just like I did). I just can't understand how wrecking and destroying estates and keeping people awake till all hours would be a great laugh. I think ULSU should be getting more involved and campus security should be monitoring the other estates now too as estates like college court/the orchards are now over run by wild students.

But the thing is it is not a small Minority. It's not all students but I would say well into the 30% mark which is a hell of a lot. I know generalising is wrong. but with the amount of money they've cost me personally, and the amount of people who have been pushed to move away is stunning. this is why I tend to generalise. because this happens every single night except during the weekend when the students are gone.

Anyway I understand where you are coming from and know that a lot of students are there to learn and have a great laugh (just like I did). I just can't understand how wrecking and destroying estates and keeping people awake till all hours would be a great laugh. I think ULSU should be getting more involved and campus security should be monitoring the other estates now too as estates like college court/the orchards are now over run by wild students.

I think you are realising you can't tar us all with the same brush. Unfortunately thise who cause the problems don't post here. The problems I had in my job was when I had to deal with those living off-campus who didn't understand what my job was. Their mates, who knew why I was breaking up their house party, weren't a problem. And, I would suggest, blame for what happens during RAG weeks has to be approportioned similarly. UL RAG week seems to be very popular- loads of people invite their friends down for the week and thats where the problems lie. I had a similar situation at Halloween- that night I was dealing with trouble from 0200 til 0545, having been woken up by security to deal with problems.
    Campus security cannot monitor the estates because it simply isn't in their remit. No doubt they would be delighted to get involved if you paid them- their hours are being cut at the moment.
    You also mention that 10 years ago things were all quiet, and now the estates are being "over run" by students. Who sold the properties to landlords for "buy to rent"? Wasn't the students. Instead of objecting to the alcohol licence belonging to Stables/Scholars perhaps you should be looking at the Lodge- in my opinion, that is where a lot of your problems lie.

I never mentioned the stables. but sure that place has its own problems. its been shut down a few times because of the dirt and **** floating around in their pints. I agree with you. the people who bought the houses and rent them out to students are a fault (some of them). there are a few of them who have split every bedroom in 2 so that they can lodge as many people as possible into a house. an of course when you have 6 or 7 male students living in a house together there will be messing. I also agree with the lodge part. I can actually hear the music from the lodge at night. a countinous base that goes right through my head. I work shift work and when I come off nights I work days. It is already fairly hard two switch over to days when you are in a routine and difficult to sleep without the noise from the lodge and the students after the lodge. I think the volume of the music in the lodge is unhealthy and well over the limit. if they just turned the base down, that would solve one problem. the guards have told me they can't do anything about that. I'd have to go after their license and get a petition from others that live in the area. but sure others that live in the area are all students and i'm sure they don't care.

I never mentioned the stables. but sure that place has its own problems. its been shut down a few times because of the dirt and **** floating around in their pints. I agree with you. the people who bought the houses and rent them out to students are a fault (some of them). there are a few of them who have split every bedroom in 2 so that they can lodge as many people as possible into a house. an of course when you have 6 or 7 male students living in a house together there will be messing. I also agree with the lodge part. I can actually hear the music from the lodge at night. a countinous base that goes right through my head. I work shift work and when I come off nights I work days. It is already fairly hard two switch over to days when you are in a routine and difficult to sleep without the noise from the lodge and the students after the lodge. I think the volume of the music in the lodge is unhealthy and well over the limit. if they just turned the base down, that would solve one problem. the guards have told me they can't do anything about that. I'd have to go after their license and get a petition from others that live in the area. but sure others that live in the area are all students and i'm sure they don't care.

Yes, I know you didn't mention the Stables/Scholars. But local residents objected to a renewal of its licence before. I'm just offering a way of ending your hassle. Closing Stables/Scholars via objecting to a renewal of its licence would have been counterproductive had it succeeded in any case- students would simply drank in their homes (conveniently located in surrounding estates).
    Residents gathered together and objected to the Stables licence before- surely you could gather together and do the same to the Lodge? At least your objections would be noted and conditions would be attached to the renewal of its licence.

Yes I agree. I don't see the point in closing the stables/scholars. they are on campus so it doesn't bother any residence or at least it shouldn't. the lodge is the main culprit. plus the place is a whole anyway. I have looked into going after their license. I've rang them before and the manager at the time said they would turn the bass down. which they did for about 2 weeks but now its back up again. The students are already drinking at home so closing the stables or scholars would have no affect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

There is no way I or anyone I know would behave like they do around milford. I've lived there for 10 years now and witnessed everything. you obviously don't know ****.

There's no way I or the people I went to college with (and I think I'm pretty safe in speaking for the others that I lived with and indeed the majority of people I knew in college) would have behaved like that around College Court or Milford for the year I spent there. What's your point?
    you are all defending the students saying they are not responsible for ****ting all over the place, smashing bottles of bukfast and naggins, throwing a bottle at my father last year and jumping on my car (only a few examples) when I witnessed the little spoilt ****s with my own eyes. u should understand how I could be pissed off. and Students are meant to be the future of the country...

No we are not all defending the students, my point and I'll say it again is that there are arseholes everywhere. Yeah some students are pretty damn stupid and indulge in this kind of behaviour and I'm perfectly comfortable saying that they are idiots for doing so however it doesn't give me a reason to make generalisations about the entire student population.
    They've complained about generalization. thats all. and even though I accept that, everyone is still defending the students. I mean feeling sorry for me and then telling me I should move away or shouldn't have moved there in the 1st place and then telling me it probably wasn't students... all comments made by people defending the students and all are simply incorrect.

Nobody here is defending the actions of people who do what you've described, I find that behaviour pretty damn abhorrent to be honest. This is probably a flawed example but assume we split the population in two students and non students. If certain parts of the non student population started breaking glass everywhere, pissing in peoples gardens, jumping on cars or indulged in any other activity that made life a pain in the arse for everyone else would you appreciate being labeled as a gulpin/animal for being part of the non student population and having such generalistions applied to you? Some how I doubt the answer is yes.

I and most of the people on the forum can understand where you're coming from too. Wrecking property and destroying estates isn't a good laugh it's just stupid like ****ting where you eat for want of a better description. Campus security can't monitor the other housing estates as they're a private security company. It's up to the Gardai to do policing work.

Fair enough. but not 25-29% too high. If there are 45 houses in an estate and 40 of them are occupied with students where 30 of the houses are bananas. do the maths. this isn't 1-5%. anyway thats the last i'll speak of it. I just wanted to know if a lot of the students knew what some residence go through while SOME nut cases get away with whatever they want.

I just wanted to know if a lot of the students knew what some residence go through while SOME nut cases get away with whatever they want.

As a UL Alumni, yes I do know :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Posts have been moved here.

Again reiterating the civilised tone of this thread. Lets not turn into the very people we're complaining about :p

• Advertisement

I remember seeing this a few months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvbeusGW6s

What a lovely bunch

Advertisement