Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerrof my lawn, Damn students!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

TheLoc wrote: »
    Fair enough. but not 25-29% too high. If there are 45 houses in an estate and 40 of them are occupied with students where 30 of the houses are bananas. do the maths. this isn't 1-5%

im talking about the entire student population not just your estate. if 30% of the entire student population were acting as you say every night or even one night a week it would be 3000 students and would probably be considered a riot

the reality is that its probably around 300-500(i personally think even thats too high) that would do things like you describe over the course of the year.

far from defending these people i am saying they should be caught and expelled / prosecuted as appropriate. if its on campus campus seurity should be dealing with it if its off campus it should be the gardai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Yes sorry i should have specified. I meant 30% of students that live in estates off campus. they should be expelled. the fact of the matter is, UL is a business. they don't want to lose fees and its hard to get students expelled. and then when they do get expelled, their parents pay for them to get back in.. Clean slate. This has happened twice that I know of for an incident when a couple of students shat on the roof of an old womans car in Oaklawns. sick. anyway they got expelled and were let back in the next semester. So this is probably a once off. But I think its shocking that they were alowed back in for that. I know everyone deserves a 2nd chance but that is just sick and wierd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Yeah saw that one myself a while back, shower of idiots tbh but I've seen plenty of non students engage in ****e like that too. If you ever have the pleasure of being in Thurles on a weekend night take a trip to Supermacs. A few students, a few "locals" arseholes in both groups causing trouble and neither should be defended by anyone.

I've no idea why people engage in that kind of behaviour, booze possibly or maybe they are just plain stupid. Believe me when I say that we all know where you're coming from but tarring all students with the same brush isn't going to achieve anything. And not all of the trouble makers get away with it either. If I recall correctly there was a group of students in College Court thrown out of their gaf after one Ragg week for the ****e that they caused.

Yeah they left the house in a mess to put it mildly but there are people who are not students who have done the same to houses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I also agree with the lodge part. I can actually hear the music from the lodge at night. a countinous base that goes right through my head. I work shift work and when I come off nights I work days. It is already fairly hard two switch over to days when you are in a routine and difficult to sleep without the noise from the lodge and the students after the lodge. I think the volume of the music in the lodge is unhealthy and well over the limit. if they just turned the base down, that would solve one problem.

I know the residents have to put up with a lot because of students but do you realise that students have to put up with the same? Last week I got an average of 4 hours sleep a night. Last night I got 2 and the night before I got 3. I'm a matter of months away from finishing college and am desperately behind on my FYP because I am constantly exhausted from getting no sleep. I sleep with ear plugs in and take herbal sleeping tablets but to no avail.

I understand that residents have to put it with a lot but I too get very little sleep and I too have had my property damaged.

Maybe instead of making sweeping generalisations the residents could make an effort to work with students? Instead of expecting the USLU to shell out money on security patrols, students and residents could work together to patrol the areas. I'm sure the Community Relations Officer would be happy to see students working with residents without having all the onus on students to fix the problem.

I remember seeing this a few months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvbeusGW6s

What a lovely bunch

And just for the record, who says those are UL students? Or even actual students? I'm assuming it was recorded on a weeknight but that means nothing. Go down on a Saturday night and see if there's any trouble. I guarantee the locals won't be there sipping cups of tea and eating scones.

• Advertisement

If you look down the comments you will find students from UL admitting and boasting about how they destroyed the place. thats how I know these are students. I also recognise a blondy muppet in the background from UL. And no, I have never witnessed anything like that ever on a saturday night and I always go for a chip after the night club. i've seen trouble but nothing this messy.

Also, its the students that are creating the problem so I think it should be sorted out by the students/student security/police. residents should not have anything to do with it. We've passed the generalisations now. thats finished. i'm no longer generalising. I know how you feel about you FYP and not sleeping. I went through when I was in fourth year LIT doing my FYP. the only difference is I have to put up with it every single year.

If you look down the comments you will find students from UL admitting and boasting about how they destroyed the place. thats how I know these are students.

That's why I asked, because I read through the comments before I posted and no one admits being from any college. I read through them again just now and there are people admitting to being in the video and people giving out about UL and LIT students but I don't see anyone saying 'yep that's me, I'm a student and I go to UL'. If I'm wrong, show me.

Yes, students are causing problems for you but if you are only willing to point the finger of blame and not actually do anything about it then you can't expect anything to change. Until someone goes out and tries to get students to move along or quieten down then nothing will change but it is the residents who have the problem so they need to work with the students, and the ULSU, to find a solution. They can't expect to raise an argument and then expect everyone else to do the work for them. If it annoys you that much, do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

UCC rag week is on atm and thats no bed of rose petals I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i always found it was the local scumbags which caused all the trouble but students got blamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cage-fighter

hearing about the old woman down the road having to clean actualy student crap(literally) off the hood of her car.... quote]

This is just a prime example of typical UL student behaviour. UL students seem to be unique in their vulgar, ignorant, ill-bred, and oafish ways. I've been to Dublin, Cork and Galway and have seen none of the trouble and blight UL students have plagued upon the hard working residents of Limerick City.
    Rag week last year, I was awoken in the middle of the night with a loud banging on my front door. I opened up and was pelted relentlessly with eggs and 'used' baby nappies. Who deserves this treatment? The smartest thing i ever did was close the door and ring the gardai because if i had caught them i would of almost certainly killed them. The same night my neighbours had windows smashed, doors kicked in and in one incident; "RAAAWGG WEEK " spraypainted on their garage door.

Congratulations UL students, you are the scum of the earth.

<Cage-Fighter> :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hearing about the old woman down the road having to clean actualy student crap(literally) off the hood of her car.... quote]

This is just a prime example of typical UL student behaviour. UL students seem to be unique in their vulgar, ignorant, ill-bred, and oafish ways. I've been to Dublin, Cork and Galway and have seen none of the trouble and blight UL students have plagued upon the hard working residents of Limerick City.
    Rag week last year, I was awoken in the middle of the night with a loud banging on my front door. I opened up and was pelted relentlessly with eggs and 'used' baby nappies. Who deserves this treatment? The smartest thing i ever did was close the door and ring the gardai because if i had caught them i would of almost certainly killed them. The same night my neighbours had windows smashed, doors kicked in and in one incident; "RAAAWGG WEEK " spraypainted on their garage door.

<Cage-Fighter> :cool:
    *some* UL students.

but sure, let your rage cloud your judgment and continue with the generalisation please.

it's amusing what was otherwise an ordinary tuesday for me

The point I was making is that it shouldn't be a problem for the residence in the 1st place so why should we be the people who have to go out of there way just to stop students ruining the place. But I do catch you drift. I have called the guards a few times. I have also, dare I say it, gone down the violence road which helped a lot becuase they are generally scared easily. The best method though ever is getting in contact with their parents through the landlord. this is the best way. They don't seem to have any respect for the guards or the landlord but once the parents are involved.. they shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

[/U][/I]

your a ****ing idiot and defo a troll

ban accepted

i always found it was the local scumbags which caused all the trouble but students got blamed.
    ha you must be joking. sure there are barely any locals left in milford.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Cage-Fighter banned. Sweeping generalisations and general tone.

Peak-Output banned for a week. Personal abuse isn't on, even if it might be warranted.

Keep it civilised people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've handed out some infractions as well. They've all been red cards and any that follow are unlikely to be yellow. FWIW, they've been on both sides of this civility-lacking discussion.

Take careful note:

If your posts lack civility or if they're basically starting or continuing a flame-war, you will not be permitted to post on this topic, or possibly on any others. Some of you are annoyed. Some of you are annoyed by other people. You are still required to make your points in a reasonable, civil and polite manner. There will not be another warning.

Apologes to all. I got a bit heated earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

We all have rough days at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Wow :eek: , I'm in 4th year and I've never had any problems like this or even witnessed them. But I have to say I'm not surprised, I've heard of a few incidents but I didn't realise they were so prevalent.

I have to admit some sweeping generalisations have been made but at the same time if I were a local resident I'd feel the same, at least I know I'll be leaving here in 4 months and I have absolutely no intention of staying, 4 years has been enough. I admit there are lots of scumbags among the students but there are a LOT of local scumbags too, so it isn't all students.

Personally I enjoy RAG week I think there are some good events on but if it's fuelling further problems it should definitely be scrapped. That said I try to keep myself in a reasonable state any night I go out, some people really aren't capable of managing themselves at all, and some people are just bad drunks.

I'd love to say that if fees came back then everyone would appreciate the education they were getting more, but chances are that's not true and the only people getting screwed would be the hard working people who actually deserve a free education.

I think the only way to solve this problem would be a few "heavy handed" tactics and I think if someone is trespassing and defacing your property you should be allowed to give them a good hiding.

... I blame their parents :p

Well said actually. I think your spot on. A lot of these lads are spoilt and their parents are not helping by paying their rent, buying them cars and giving them money to get completely hammered. But I do realise it goes both ways and there are many scumbags everywhere. not many locals left in the milford area anymore though. I've had just the one bad experience with non-students living beside me. they were scumbags working in dell. They were charged and kicked out of the house straight away. landlords seem to be a bit more lenient now too with this recession. and some of them are struggling to fill their houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Well said actually. I think your spot on. A lot of these lads are spoilt and their parents are not helping by paying their rent, buying them cars and giving them money to get completely hammered. But I do realise it goes both ways and there are many scumbags everywhere. not many locals left in the milford area anymore though.QUOTE]

I've kept relatively quiet regarding this, because as has been repeated endlessly by other posters, it is known that this type of behaviour occurs, and nobody is defending it, because it is undefendable.

But saying that students who get things paid for are the problem is also nonsense imo. I have always had to work for what I've got, so I certainly cant be called spoilt, as are all of the students that I've lived with over the past 4 years. [There have been over 15 people living with me over those years, and none of them could be referred to as spoilt or pampered with their parents paying for everything].

I'm not saying that it isnt a cause, but you are generalising once again.

As for students learning that because they may have to pay fees that they may apprecaite their education even more, I dont believe it. Its possible that nothing will change.

I've also lived beside residents in College Court for the past 4 years also. They dont have a problem with us, and we certainly dont do anything to annoy them.

I know that unsociable behaviour goes on, and yes UL students are responsible for some of it, that it an undeniable fact, but LIT and Mary I students also come out to the Lodge, and have friends out here. Dont blame UL for all the problems!!

mmmm. I wasn't generalising at all. I was just merely noting some of them students have everything paved for them and they are spoilt. I think this is a cause because people being spoilt results in a lack of respect for anyone else. but again I did NOT say all students were like that. I didn't generalise at all there. I also think that these people that have their parents pay for everything should be paying the highest of fees. I find it hard to respect anyone who has that luxury of doing nothing. I worked as a butcher from 1st to 4th year all through college and paid rent and the whole lot. I'm sure most people in UL do too. but there are those who don't. thats all I was saying.

On another note. I have no problems at all with my direct neighbours at the moment either thank god. on 1 side there are 4 students who are fine. and the other side is a family from regeneration project. They are very nice.

As for LIT students. I know that when I lived out there, I lived with a bunch of electricians who were tough as nails. if any student made any sort of noise after 11 they got a box and that was the end of it. thats probably why they come to castletroy because they can do what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ChuckhighÁrLá

As a landlord myself in elm park, Id have to say that most students ive encountered are literal pigs. Now Im not saying all students are pigs (if you catch my drift, moderator ;)), but the vast majority are. Ive come across some real pieces of sh1t in my time renting out my property. Both people and physical faeces. I can tell you, I dont like dealing with either if I can avoid it!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

As a landlord myself in elm park, Id have to say that most students ive encountered are literal pigs. Now Im not saying all students are pigs (if you catch my drift, moderator ;)), but the vast majority are. Ive come across some real pieces of sh1t in my time renting out my property. Both people and physical faeces. I can tell you, I dont like dealing with either if I can avoid it!

Cheers

Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then :rolleyes:

Like has been repeated numerous times, there are some students who are as you so elequently put it "real pieces of sh1t". But you get those in every walk of life. If you were renting to non-students I'm almost sure that you would encounter similar events.

Saying the vast majority are is .... I'm not taking a ban for you.

Cheers

Myself and my OH viewed a house during the summer. It was a lovely place but the previous tenants destroyed it. There were supposed to be 3 of them there but the landlord thinks there were about 10. All the doors were hanging off the hinges. A lot of the windows were broken. There was no electricity because they never paid the bills. The fridge, cooker and boiler were broken. As the boiler was broken there was mould in a few places. Most of the furniture was broken.

But do you know the craziest thing? The last tenants weren't students but grown adults with professional jobs :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

FYI: ChuckhighÁrLá has been sitebanned (though not by me) for being a complete tool on other forums since registration. Whether you believe him to be a landlord or not (incidentally I definitely don't), it adds a small extra dimension to the discussion.

Mossin wrote: »
    Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then :rolleyes:

Like has been repeated numerous times, there are some students who are as you so elequently put it "real pieces of sh1t". But you get those in every walk of life. If you were renting to non-students I'm almost sure that you would encounter similar events.

Saying the vast majority are is .... I'm not taking a ban for you.
    He're we go again. "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then ". This is the 2nd time I've noticed this. Students defending themselves in a wierd way. I give out about litter and all the other stuff I wont mention again and I get told maybe you should move out. Then a landlord tells of the sh1t he has seen and suddenly, "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then".... are you kidding me? I thought students were meant to be smart? well I was and am.

Students obviously ruined this landlords house a while back and all you can say is "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then ". I would love to call you a load of names but not taking a ban for you... YET.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

He're we go again. "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then ". This is the 2nd time I've noticed this. Students defending themselves in a wierd way. I give out about litter and all the other stuff I wont mention again and I get told maybe you should move out. Then a landlord tells of the sh1t he has seen and suddenly, "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then".... are you kidding me? I thought students were meant to be smart? well I was and am.

Students obviously ruined this landlords house a while back and all you can say is "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then ". I would love to call you a load of names but not taking a ban for you... YET.

wtf... You were starting to sound reasonable and then you come out with this. Genuinely, go back and read mossin's post and the one he quotes from. Also, read sceptre's post. It should shed some light on the situation.

In case you can't be bothered, mossin implied that because ChuckhighÁrLá was of the opinion that "the vast majority are [literal pigs]" then perhaps renting accommodation to them wasn't the best choice of lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Your post doesn't read particularly 'smart.' In bold are your individual word mistakes, I decided against pointing out your incorrect sentence structure and grammatical mistakes.

All the best,
    Diamond007
    (One of thousand's of smart students attending UL.)

• Advertisement

wtf... You were starting to sound reasonable and then you come out with this. Genuinely, go back and read mossin's post and the one he quotes from. Also, read sceptre's post. It should shed some light on the situation.

In case you can't be bothered, mossin implied that because ChuckhighÁrLá was of the opinion that "the vast majority are [literal pigs]" then perhaps renting accommodation to them wasn't the best choice of lifestyle.
    Nope. he said in quotes. "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then". and when I said I was thick of hearing students at night and all the rest i got, well maybe you should move out, or you shouldn't have moved there in the 1st place. that is a prime example of arrogance. I don't agree with "the vast majority..." bollox.. well I do a bit. Diamond 007 you are a wierdo. I type fast in work and tend to type like a mad man. I am a computer analyst so I type a lot. so yea I make mistakes but its not like I'm writing a book. I have an honours degree in Business and Computers and can tell you I work with a few thick ****ers from UL and they got through.... I would really like to call you something. You have actually offended me as well so do it again and I will report you just because u deserve it.

Advertisement