Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerrof my lawn, Damn students!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

cookies? :pac:

this thread is full of rag week fail tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

TheLoc wrote: »
    He're we go again. "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then ". This is the 2nd time I've noticed this. Students defending themselves in a wierd way. I give out about litter and all the other stuff I wont mention again and I get told maybe you should move out. Then a landlord tells of the sh1t he has seen and suddenly, "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then".... are you kidding me? I thought students were meant to be smart? well I was and am.

Students obviously ruined this landlords house a while back and all you can say is "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then ". I would love to call you a load of names but not taking a ban for you... YET.

Go on then call me names!! But if you are pissed off with what I said, you are more immature than I gave you credit for. At least the students are offering reasons and trying to have a debate with you and ChukaighArLa about things on here.
    I never suggested that you should move, it was said by one person, and wasnt backed by the rest of the people on this forum.
    I never mentioned that you shouldnt be a landord. I even used a sarcastic smiley to imply that (s)he should be careful who to rent for. If students ruined his house then I'm sorry for him, but tarring all students as pigs is bull****! Burning Eclipse and undoubtedly most of the other readers of my comments understood what I meant and didnt get into a huff like you did.

You call yourself smart...[rose tinted glasses and farts like roses come to mind, Im trying to be careful what I say here].... I'm doing quite well in college as are all the students I've encountered on this forum.

Please try and read what we say here before you go on spouting nonsense.
    Nope. he said in quotes. "Perhaps being a landlord isnt for you then". and when I said I was thick of hearing students at night and all the rest i got, well maybe you should move out, or you shouldn't have moved there in the 1st place. that is a prime example of arrogance. I don't agree with "the vast majority..." bollox.. well I do a bit. Diamond 007 you are a wierdo. I type fast in work and tend to type like a mad man. I am a computer analyst so I type a lot. so yea I make mistakes but its not like I'm writing a book. I have an honours degree in Business and Computers and can tell you I work with a few thick ****ers from UL and they got through.... I would really like to call you something. You have actually offended me as well so do it again and I will report you just because u deserve it.

I'm sorry, but, Diamond007 is not a weirdo. She was merely pointing out your mistakes. If you cant take the time to use your "smartness" [for want of a better word], and put it to some use, and make your posts readable, then those degrees in Business and Computers dont seem like they went to much use now do they??
    Oh I forgot...Us thickos in UL wouldnt understand :rolleyes:

And how exactly does she deserve to be reported?? A common joke on this forum is about being a "Grammer Nazi"..so dont come on here and complain....oh wait! thats all you have done!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Mossin wrote: »
    Go on then call me names!! But if you are pissed off with what I said, you are more immature than I gave you credit for. At least the students are offering reasons and trying to have a debate with you and ChukaighArLa about things on here.
    I never suggested that you should move, it was said by one person, and wasnt backed by the rest of the people on this forum.
    I never mentioned that you shouldnt be a landord. I even used a sarcastic smiley to imply that (s)he should be careful who to rent for. If students ruined his house then I'm sorry for him, but tarring all students as pigs is bull****! Burning Eclipse and undoubtedly most of the other readers of my comments understood what I meant and didnt get into a huff like you did.

You call yourself smart...[rose tinted glasses and farts like roses come to mind, Im trying to be careful what I say here].... I'm doing quite well in college as are all the students I've encountered on this forum.

Please try and read what we say here before you go on spouting nonsense.

I'm sorry, but, Diamond007 is not a weirdo. She was merely pointing out your mistakes. If you cant take the time to use your "smartness" [for want of a better word], and put it to some use, and make your posts readable, then those degrees in Business and Computers dont seem like they went to much use now do they??
    Oh I forgot...Us thickos in UL wouldnt understand :rolleyes:

And how exactly does she deserve to be reported?? A common joke on this forum is about being a "Grammer Nazi"..so dont come on here and complain....oh wait! thats all you have done!!
    Alright buddy. your telling me to read carefully right? ok well, firstly telling someone not to be a landlord anymore if he can't handle students wrecking his house is not debating (but I see you have explained it better and will forgive), 2ndly I never said you told me I should move, someone else did, 3dly I know you never mentioned I should never be a landlord nor have I expressed that I wanted to be one, 4thly, he didn't tar all students as pigs, he said most (or something like that, which I disagreed with. There is a few less than most :)), 5th, I never said I was smart, I merely said I am further than you degree wise since I actually have to degrees and a job. I was merely pointing out that not all people that are in UL are smart just because they are trying to get a degree. any joe soap has a degree in business, this is why I went and did computing only to find out every joe soap has a degree in that too (must try something else :)), 6thly, you said no-one understands me... every one seems to.
    I was just saying that its a stupid comment to make about grammar. It's not like i'm typing carefully. I'm typing quickly. Sorry "more quicklier" so that you understand it better :).

"Oh I forgot...Us thickos in UL wouldnt understand :rolleyes:" - you said it.

regarding the grammar ****e - You get reported for offending people. that has nothing to do with the topic and was offensive. I'm not going to dont worry.

"so dont come on here and complain....oh wait! thats all you have done!!" - I'm sorry but she only left one comment here and it was a complaint. and all you have done is complain also. trying to defend hooligans (I have to point out that I am not talking about all UL students here, just some so that you can understand and not complain about it.. again) and not helping what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Alright buddy. your telling me to read carefully right? ok well, firstly telling someone not to be a landlord anymore if he can't handle students wrecking his house is not debating (but I see you have explained it better and will forgive), 2ndly I never said you told me I should move, someone else did, 3dly I know you never mentioned I should never be a landlord nor have I expressed that I wanted to be one, 4thly, he didn't tar all students as pigs, he said most (or something like that, which I disagreed with. There is a few less than most :)), 5th, I never said I was smart, I merely said I am further than you degree wise since I actually have to degrees and a job. I was merely pointing out that not all people that are in UL are smart just because they are trying to get a degree. any joe soap has a degree in business, this is why I went and did computing only to find out every joe soap has a degree in that too (must try something else :)), 6thly, you said no-one understands me... every one seems to.
    I was just saying that its a stupid comment to make about grammar. It's not like i'm typing carefully. I'm typing quickly. Sorry "more quicklier" so that you understand it better :).

"Oh I forgot...Us thickos in UL wouldnt understand :rolleyes:" - you said it.

regarding the grammar ****e - You get reported for offending people. that has nothing to do with the topic and was offensive. I'm not going to dont worry.

"so dont come on here and complain....oh wait! thats all you have done!!" - I'm sorry but she only left one comment here and it was a complaint. and all you have done is complain also. trying to defend hooligans (I have to point out that I am not talking about all UL students here, just some so that you can understand and not complain about it.. again) and not helping what so ever.

Firstly, we are not BUDDIES!

Secondly, I said that one person said you should move and it wasnt backed by everyone on the forum, but you had earlier brought it up response to comments made by me.

Thirdly, you said
    I thought students were meant to be smart? well I was and am
    yet according to your 5th point:
    5th, I never said I was smart

How do you know that you are further than me degree wise? You have no idea how much education I have behind me.I have a second Degree behind me also and I am in the final semester of a Business Degree [which according to you any Joe Soap can have], but your opinion on this doesnt bother me too much.

Fourthly, I said that the joke on the forum was about being a Grammer Nazi, and that she was probably trying to lighten the situation with a joke which the rest of the forum got, except you.

Fifthly, you dont get the sarcastic rolleyes do you :rolleyes:

Sixthly, I havent come on here and defended hooligans! I have admitted that stupid behaviour occurs, and that UL students are often to blame, but you cant tar all students with that brush. I think thats the message that most people are trying to put across. But you and ChukaighArLa seemed convinced otherwise, although you have changed your tune a little since your original comments which I can respect.

Seventhly, I said it was you have done nothing but complain on here, not ChukaighArLa or anybody else. This entire thread was started because you hijacked a thread about Rag Week, where students were talking about the events going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

any joe soap has a degree in business, this is why I went and did computing

It is the person behind the degree that is important, not how many people have that degree. You obviously knew you would be unable to stand out from the crowd in a competitive situation. Good choice for you.

I know that both myself, and I suspect many of other posters on this forum had a list as long as their arm of courses available to them, but selected business for any number reasons, including personal interest in the subject, or indeed the potential to diversify in some many specific areas, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level.

I realise this is slightly off topic, and not the subject at the centre of debate here, but I find your attitude in general to be absolutely deplorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think you're getting quite a rise out of this TheLoc. In my opinion most of your posts contain hugely inflammatory remarks and to be honest, it looks to me like you're only using this thread as a place to vent your frustations.

Hence I'd like to propose 2 solutions;

1: Be proactive about what you percieve as the problem. Contact the relevant bodies, be they the Gardai, University itself, Students Union or parents of the students themselves. There is always a way of dealing with these situations.

2: Deal with it. You've told us all your life story and travails with students and look how far its gotten you here. Everyone faces challenges in life, you're not unique in that respect. Learn to deal with them rather than picking fights and bitching in an internet forum. Grow up. ;)

TBH I couldn't be bothered reading. its insignificant anyway. I'll apologies for all my comments. I won't bother debating with you anymore. obviously you don't really mind that hundreds of students are ruining the lives of many locals. I am moving out this weekend. and its not by choice.

"2: Deal with it. You've told us all your life story and travails with students and look how far its gotten you here. Everyone faces challenges in life, you're not unique in that respect. Learn to deal with them rather than picking fights and bitching in an internet forum. Grow up. "

Was that for me? don't you think these messy students should be the one's to grow up no...?

"I realise this is slightly off topic, and not the subject at the centre of debate here, but I find your attitude in general to be absolutely deplorable. " - ImDave, I agree with everything you just said there until the last part. Whats that about? I wasn't even giving out. I was merely stating everyone joe has a degree in Business or IT. which is true. but I agree with you, it is up to your character to be different. I find your comment repulsive haha. nob

TBH I couldn't be bothered reading. its insignificant anyway. I'll apologies for all my comments. I won't bother debating with you anymore. obviously you don't really mind that hundreds of students are ruining the lives of many locals. I am moving out this weekend. and its not by choice.

By all means debate it here, but the manner you've attempted to go about it in your last few posts smacks of someone looking for a rise out of the forum users here. In fairness, what exactly did you expect coming onto the UL forum and bitching about students in general?

Was that for me? don't you think these messy students should be the one's to grow up no...?

They are growing up, they're students. What you're experiencing isn't a new phenonmen. Again as I said, be proactive about the situation (you say you're moving out, thats doing something about it) or else deal with it.

Worlds smallest violin and all that. ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFUDbOldMs

ImDave, I agree with everything you just said there until the last part. Whats that about? I wasn't even giving out. I was merely stating everyone joe has a degree in Business or IT. which is true. but I agree with you, it is up to your character to be different. I find your comment repulsive haha. nob

Everyone has a degree in Business or IT? News to me.

lolcat%252520Sullivan%252520Cromwell%252520Aaron%252520Charney%252520A.jpg

Yea I say I'm moving out which is costing me a lot more money. I don't think its right for people to be forced to move out of there homes. it makes the situation even worse. Any way fair is fair I have been very pissed off at students in my estate recently and I really needed to bitch about them to students. when I do it to their faces they seem to run away or throw a glass bottle at me. The reason why I did it here is so that I could see what reaction the students have about harrassing people. obviously people here know there are bad eggs and it seems no-one here is like that. which is excellent news. but at the same time, I don't think its right for people to say they are not defending them and then tell me maybe I shouldn't have moved there in the 1st place or some of the other things that have been said. I genuinly do understand there are no clowns here of that magnitude which is good to see. As fot the degree thing, yes i'm afraid so. everyone who seems to go to college comes out with a degree in either IT or business. well business more so because its so easy (compared to other courses). I have a 2 years cert in applied biology that was harder than the 4 years of business I did haha. IT was deadly. really really hard, and somehow, nearly everyone I know has a degree in it. its not as bad now since more people seem to be branching out. anyway enough of this crap. I'm sick of it. goodluck in your studies. and have a good rag week. g'luck :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I'm sick of it. goodluck in your studies. and have a good rag week. g'luck :)
    I find your comment repulsive haha. nob

Yeah good luck.

Banned for personal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

to the loc:

i really do feel for you, im in third year now, living in a student village, and i do experience the same nuisence a lot of the time. ok i do go out and go to house parties, and gotta say i hate the sh1t that goes on.

im obviously not going to appologise to you on behalf of everyone, but i will say that if i have ever done anything to annoy you (which i havent-guaranteed) i appologise.

i have done some crap in my days here and i do regret a lot of it cos i wouldnt like it done to me so why should i do it to someone else.

and regards that video in supermacs, id love to show that video to their prospective future employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Oh my god..... guys... any chance of agreeing to dissagree.....

I'm gone into the lalalalalalalalala i'm not listening stage!!!

Landlords vs. Students

This must round 50 million and 1 at this stage.

**** it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Diamond007 wrote: »
    Your post doesn't read particularly 'smart.' In bold are your individual word mistakes, I decided against pointing out your incorrect sentence structure and grammatical mistakes.

All the best,
    Diamond007
    (One of thousand's of smart students attending UL.)
    and the fail award goes to....:rolleyes:
    If you're going to be condescending, at least do it right.

zuroph wrote: »
    and the fail award goes to....:rolleyes:
    If you're going to be condescending, at least do it right.

Honestly, stfu s'il vous plait :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

No, zuroph has a point. Poking fun at someone else's grammar isn't big or clever but if it's done at all, it helps if you don't screw up yourself while you're doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I completely accept that there is a problem with students and anti-social behaviour. We tend to cause a lot more noise than families which is a pain in the ass for locals and we can be pretty messy. A minority of students - I would put it at about 10% or approx 1000 students also engage in wanton vandalism, which is of course a problem. We, who don't participate in this behaviour can only apologise on behalf of our less sophisticated peers.

Here's my question for locals: What do you think Castletroy would be like without UL?

My theory is it would be a suburban wasteland akin to Dooradoyle but without the lovely shopping centre.

• Would you have a 50m pool on your doorstep?
    • Would Storm Cinema and McDonalds be around?
    • Would your teenage kids have a nice setting like the UL library to study for their Junior and Leaving Certs in?
    • Would there be a 24hour Dunnes?

Do you have any idea how many jobs are created in Castletroy because of students? Directly at the University itself, but also in the support services the Uni uses and in the takeaways, off licences, taxi companies, shops etc that employ local Limerick people

What I'm saying is, despite the fact that students may have effected different estates in a negative way, do you not think that the benefit to the local economy and jobs, as well as the facilities you can avail of at UL mean that, on balance, it's a positive influence on the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A minority of students - I would put it at about 10% or approx 1000 students also engage in wanton vandalism
    That figure's way too high. I'd say it's, at worst, a few hundred who don't realise that they're too loud when they've had too much. The wanton vandalism shower is about 100 at most. Not that this 100 couldn't do with a poke in the eye.
    We, who don't participate in this behaviour can only apologise on behalf of our less sophisticated peers.
    Pointless apologising on behalf of someone else. I wouldn't apologise unless I was part of the problem.
    Here's my question for locals: What do you think Castletroy would be like without UL?
    Although I'm not a "local" (or a dentist), it'd be like this. Note that the picture includes the yellow house.
    My theory is it would be a suburban wasteland akin to Dooradoyle but without the lovely shopping centre.
    Yeah, you're right. At best. Castletroy didn't have anything approximating a town centre till less than ten years ago (and for the record, bunging a pizza place, two takeaways, a bookies, a video library (since closed and replaced with an off-licence) across the road from a few mortgage companies with the third side of the roundabout taken up with Kilmurry Lodge wasn't much of a town centre when it was bisected by the N7).

The funny thing is that there are some UL staff who seem pretty sure that the students are an inconvenience to the college as well. I'll refer again to this picture.

I forgot to mention, the €20,000/year RAG Week charities such as Milford Hospice get between them.

I dont think the OP once complained about the existence of UL, merely the fact that some students engage in seriously anti social activity.
    This isnt an attack on you, so there is no need to defend yourself. It is an attack on those cnuts who have no repect for anyone and think they're "mad!!!!".
    example;
    two weeks ago, heading towards town on a midweek night, there was a car crash at kilmurry roundabout. further up the road a bunch of young men and women had stumbled out of the Hurlers. one of the guys thought it was funny when he wandered out onto the road forcing a car to screech to a halt. the driver was a young female, on her own. he then proceeded to climb onto the bonnet of her car, start banging on the windscreen and scream at her. We stopped our car and I was about to run over when an unmarked squad car pulled up along side and kindly did the dirty work for me.
    I can only imagine how frightened the poor driver was. Unfortunately, these sort of incidents are becoming more and more commonplace as these fckin idiots try to one-up each other in the "mad!!!!" stakes.
    I like students, I was one myself for a while, but jesus' there's a terrible culture of antisocial behaviour among some of them, and its spreading more and more.

Yeah, but you've missed my point Zuroph.

It's a bit hypocritical to want all the benefits that come from having a University in your community and then refuse to accept the drawbacks that also come with it.

As I've said, there is a proportion of students who are just crazy, they do stupid things and cause a lot of hassle for people. But as someone already pointed out, there's also a proportion of Limerick people that go around wielding knives, selling drugs etc.

I would never generalise about Limerick people like that, or succumb to the 'stab city' stereotype, because I'm aware that most Limerick people are hardworking and decent. I just wish you could accept that the same is true of students.

• Advertisement

If you read my post you will see I'm clearly against stereotyping of students.
    On the fliipside, I dont for one second believe that, in exchange for some local amenities and charitable donations, any person should have to live with human excrement on their cars, or random violent assaults and vandalism. Its basic respect for human rights we're talking about here, not a compromise situation.
    Again, this isnt really for you to defend, since I'm almost certain ur not the one sh!tting on peoples bonnets. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Accessory

Is it just me or has the lodge dancefloor and surrounding area become a bloodbath especially with girls throwing themselves around the place and fighting! Only last week a girl smashed a glass onto the ACTUAL danceFLOOR and continued to lie on top of the glass...... on a PACKED dancefloor!!!!! CRAZY!!!!! You would think that it being a Tuesday night ie FOURTH YEAR NIGHT that the crowd would be a bit more mature!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Accessory wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the lodge dancefloor and surrounding area become a bloodbath especially with girls throwing themselves around the place and fighting! Only last week a girl smashed a glass onto the ACTUAL danceFLOOR and continued to lie on top of the glass...... on a PACKED dancefloor!!!!! CRAZY!!!!! You would think that it being a Tuesday night ie FOURTH YEAR NIGHT that the crowd would be a bit more mature!!

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Accessory wrote: »

Ah yes, only 4th years go to the Lodge on a Tuesday night, how silly of me to think otherwise :rolleyes:

Advertisement