Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Knives

• 10-02-2009 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy some really good kitchen knives - any suggestions of brands/where to buy and what sort of money I'd be looking at? I'm thinking about 30 Euro each.

Thanks
    MT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

There has been a couple of threads here covering knives - try searching back.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Please refer to the FAQ sticky at the top of the page for links to previous comprehensive threads about knives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Vested Interest

Global is a really good brand... pricey but worth the money because they are long lasting. They sell them individually and in sets/blocks. Shop around so you can find a set with the right combination of knives to meet your needs - some stores stock sets of 8 knives but you save by buying 6 in another shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dunno about Global. Lovely look to them. Had one as my first chef's knife, it was great for about ten months. Then one day, it fell off the countertop, dropped about three to four feet to the (wooden) floor, and snapped in half right at the ricasso. Never really trusted them after that, but they do look pretty. I use some Sabatiers instead at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Globals are ridiculously overpriced for their average quality. Their popularity is more to do with them being all over the TV than them being great knives. Also the handles are quite small and uncomfortable, especially if you have big hands like me.

If you want Japanese knives why not look at what you can get direct from Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm very happy with the Analon knives I bought last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Probably out of your price range, but I love my Kyocera ceramic knives. The chef's and utility knife will take care of most cooking tasks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr.Canon

I use Wustoff, German blades with great balance. One big Chef knife, a filleting knife and a small sabatier utility knife. (€100, €70, €30 respectively) I'll be handing these down to my kids in 50 years time.

Advertisement