Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

here goes nothing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

I think you're right on the numbers, they were handing out flyers at the rusty scanlon race and I was talking to a chap who said they had over 100 for the half....they have no website but they do have a facebook page.

I think the leisure centre in the ormonde hotel in kk is doing registration and showers etc afters...

just grabbed this off their facebook
    Kilkenny half marathon and 10 km
    REGISTRATION CHANGE OF LOCATION. The Kilkenny Ormonde Health Club is kindly allowing the use of their super facilities for race registration and post race showers. Directions can be found on their website (link below). Pre-registered runners can register from 8.30-10.15. On the day entries have registration from 8-9.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Where is the ormonde hotel ?
    Is that on the way in from waterford ?

asimonov wrote: »
    I think you're right on the numbers, they were handing out flyers at the rusty scanlon race and I was talking to a chap who said they had over 100 for the half....they have no website but they do have a facebook page.

I think the leisure centre in the ormonde hotel in kk is doing registration and showers etc afters...

just grabbed this off their facebook

great,thanks...are you running ?
    Any others from boards ?

Sosa wrote: »
    Where is the ormonde hotel ?
    Is that on the way in from waterford ?

its on ormonde street, as you come into kilkenny on the waterford road, keep going through two roundabouts and you'll drop down a hill into the town centre. Immediately before the first set of traffic lights you meet, take a left turn (you'll see the one and only multi-story car park there). The leisure centre is next door to the car park.

great,thanks...are you running ?
    Any others from boards ?

no problem, i have nothing to do with the event, i'd just like to see a good half marathon established in kilkenny. i hope they do it well. The only other thing i got from their facebook is that the water is in bottles.

right now, its unlikely i'll be running it. My OH is going to do it, so i'll be down at the start and finish. I don't think any of the training log boards people are doing it.

• Advertisement

Just had a look at the route on mapmyrun,there does not seem to be much of a climb on it ( overall ),i am now mad to race it.

Just had a look at the route on mapmyrun,there does not seem to be much of a climb on it ( overall ),i am now mad to race it.

from what i remember there are two hills at mile 3, and you'll probably need to drop the pace for those....but once they are over its pretty flat from there on. Its a good course i'd say. Just don't do anything that could jeopardise the work you've put into the marathon.

from what i remember there are two hills at mile 3, and you'll probably need to drop the pace for those....but once they are over its pretty flat from there on. Its a good course i'd say. Just don't do anything that could jeopardise the work you've put into the marathon.

Ah no...wont be doing anything silly,just got a few notions since the race on Sunday,but i will be sticking to my original plan.
    Sub 90 ...walk away from it,that will still be a PB by nearly 5 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

Asiminov, great to hear you are back in action, good luck with the rest of your training.

wizwill wrote: »
    Asiminov, great to hear you are back in action, good luck with the rest of your training.

thanks wizwill, i think i was a little hasty with my post there as I was a little sore the morning after the run; so two more days have gone by without training. Decided to push on with finalising my Florence entry, rather ironically i had to go to a doctor to get a medical cert saying i was fit to run a marathon. My marathon clock has been reset to 29th of November :)

• Advertisement

So i guess you are going with florence then, i checked it out last year, got a chest infection 2 weeks before dublin after a good summer training, only got about 10 miles in total the two weeks before race day but thankfully met my goal time. From recollection there is another one on around the same time in italy and i recently seen TBF mention one in luton (cheap ryanair flights!) on 7th Dec. Once your decision is made at least you can rest the injury up until its healed. Training is going well for me, i am just praying injury doesnt come knocking, i have strains and pains that are coming and going.

once you get marathon out of the way have you any idea what your goals/plans for next year might be?

So i guess you are going with florence then, i checked it out last year, got a chest infection 2 weeks before dublin after a good summer training, only got about 10 miles in total the two weeks before race day but thankfully met my goal time. From recollection there is another one on around the same time in italy and i recently seen TBF mention one in luton (cheap ryanair flights!) on 7th Dec. Once your decision is made at least you can rest the injury up until its healed. Training is going well for me, i am just praying injury doesnt come knocking, i have strains and pains that are coming and going.

once you get marathon out of the way have you any idea what your goals/plans for next year might be?

yeah, florence it is! i think rome is the one the weekend before. Great to hear your training is going well. How's your mileage been over the past few weeks?

I have two goals at opposite ends of the spectrum for next year. The first is connemara ultra and the second is to see how low i can get my 10k time. what about you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

yeah, florence it is!

So, are you bailing on Dublin, or just planning to use it as an LSR?

yeah, florence it is! i think rome is the one the weekend before. Great to hear your training is going well. How's your mileage been over the past few weeks?

I have two goals at opposite ends of the spectrum for next year. The first is connemara ultra and the second is to see how low i can get my 10k time. what about you?

Florence looks good, havent reviewed marathonguide.com to see what the reviews are like, i would do the very same if i was in your boat. If injury catches up i might well have to! i have been training for about 18 months without a break now and want a decent marathon time to reflect my effort and progress.

last couple of weeks have been low to mid 70's, last week was 78 and this week looks like mid eighties (biggest planned week), back to 60 next week for the Dublin Half, really dont know how i will go. i did 1.25 in lisburn on 40-50 miles a week, whilst i feel good i just dont know if i will improve on 1.25, fingers crossed, kind of think i need to be hitting 1.23-1.24 if a sub 3 is possible, in spite of what mcmillan says. I have to plan my taper next.

Next year i would like to increase my speed, prehaps 5k's and 10k's early in the year building up to half by middle of the year. will have less time to train next year (second child on the way - due 2/11/09 - another reason i could be doing Italian marathon!) but i dont see that as an issue if i eat better (something i havent gotten right this year), put more quality sessions in (track work) and begin core work.

Izoard wrote: »
    So, are you bailing on Dublin, or just planning to use it as an LSR?

I think that's me bailed from Dublin, i'll have to be a bit cautious with my training from here on in.

last couple of weeks have been low to mid 70's, last week was 78 and this week looks like mid eighties (biggest planned week), back to 60 next week for the Dublin Half, really dont know how i will go. i did 1.25 in lisburn on 40-50 miles a week, whilst i feel good i just dont know if i will improve on 1.25, fingers crossed, kind of think i need to be hitting 1.23-1.24 if a sub 3 is possible, in spite of what mcmillan says. I have to plan my taper next.

That's great running wizwill, you don't want to take over my log for a few weeks do you? :)

I wouldn't read too much into the dublin half time as a 60mile week isn't really a taper. Its more to get you into race mode than as a test of your sub-3 readiness. No doubt you'll knock a good bit off lisburn though.

Oh yeah, i get to run 2 miles tonight (and i've been really looking forward to it).

After a 2 mile run last friday, and another 2 miler on sunday, I got the all clear from the physio last night to start light training again. So to the great relief of everyone else in the house i got out for 5 easy miles this evening. I can still feel it a little, but the plan is to build volume slowly over the next two weeks, that will leave 5 weeks of quality training before a 3 week taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

He's Back! :D

ike wrote: »
    He's Back! :D

Hope it goes well for you asimonov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

best of luck.. Nice to have Florence as a fall back option to take the pressure off..

Wednesday: rest (saw district 9 though).
    Thursday: lunchtime 6.3 miles without a watch at easy pace. it felt good., leg was a little stiff, but managed to forget about it after a while. I plan to do a 5 mile run tomorrow, rest saturday and then 10 miles on grass on sunday.

• Advertisement

Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Rest (played a round of golf, scored 30 points :eek:). But my brother had an albatross, holing a five wood from 195m on a par 5. Outrageous.

Today: 9 miles at 7:16 pace (did 1 MP pace mile). Lovely morning for a run, so ran the three miles down to the river, did 3 miles along the river bank on grass and 3 miles back. I can still the weakness in my calf, but i'm not gimping - so i'll keep going.

Good to hear you are back at it, 9 @ 7:16 is nice going. You will be flying again in no time. Illness over the last week has put my training plan back, missed the half yesterday. Keep us updated on your progress, your trip to florance will keep things interesting long after the DCM!

Good to hear you are back at it, 9 @ 7:16 is nice going. You will be flying again in no time. Illness over the last week has put my training plan back, missed the half yesterday. Keep us updated on your progress, your trip to florance will keep things interesting long after the DCM!

cheers wizwill, i hope you're better and back at it soon. If you get chance - let me know how your final weeks prep go.

Monday, 6 miles @ 7:55 pace on grass along river barrow. Beautiful evening for a run, i find grass much harder to run on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

3562420717_23fb205c49.jpg
    as if ye're job wasn't hard enough :D

Call me immature, but I was still laughing at this on my 10 miler today, people were passing me probably wondering what the hell I was laughing at

Call me immature, but I was still laughing at this on my 10 miler today, people were passing me probably wondering what the hell I was laughing at

Hey, i win on the relative immaturity front - i posted it. Anything that can make you laugh on a ten-miler must be good for you :)

Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: At last a proper workout. I met up with a training partner and his brother from the club who were doing a "light" tempo session of 3 X 10' at 165HR with 2 min jog recovery. We met up down at the river path to run on grass, and did a 8 min warm up. Because i was just tracking him and we were working off time not miles i have no splits of value, but the average mile pace for the 30 min tempo session seemed to be varying from 6:12 - 6:28. With a longer warm down included the total run was 7.5 miles in 54mins and it was hard work. I've really lost a good bit of sharpness and confidence in the two weeks off. Hopefully this will come back as i get back into the grove. 10 minutes in the river afterwards cooled the calfs a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Nice session there Asimonov - glad to see you're getting back into the thick of it. Loads of time left for you to sharpen things up.

P.s. 30 points? Were you complaining about that score? For me 30 pts would feel like 40 these days.. I've barely broken 25 since last year although that is only about 4 rounds ago! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

a 2 on a par 5. Sick. Hoped he featured. With you marking his card he probaly did. Good to see you are back. not long now.

First afterdark run of the autumn, ran a loop around the lit roads in the village, so 5.5 miles at 8:25min recovery pace in lovely new runners.

My first successful weekend of running in four weeks; we spent a weekend away with friends in a country house that is on a massive farm / estate, so I got to do all my hangover clearing runs on trails through woodland and on farmland.

Saturday: 15 miles in 2 hours, just over 8min miles.
    Sunday: 5.5 miles at 8:18 min miles on trails and over farmland.

Not running particularly freely at the moment, and it doesn't make for the most enjoyable of runs but at least i am getting through some mileage and not going backwards any more - a total of 39 miles for the last week.

• Advertisement

Asiminov, great to hear you are back on the trail. 39 miles is a good week on the comeback trail. Back from illness now after two disaster weeks 27mile and 41miles. Bad chest infection I am now paranoid about germs! How is the calf holding up. I got a decent 20 miler in yesterday the first real session, pushed myself, got through it in 2.20, fitness wasnt the issue but the body was aching especially towards the end. Tough week this week and i will try and taper from next monday. So its miles for the next while for you and a couple of tougher session in a cpl of weeks?

Advertisement