Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

here goes nothing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

wizwill wrote: »
    Back from illness now after two disaster weeks 27mile and 41miles. Bad chest infection I am now paranoid about germs! How is the calf holding up. I got a decent 20 miler in yesterday the first real session, pushed myself, got through it in 2.20, fitness wasnt the issue but the body was aching especially towards the end. Tough week this week and i will try and taper from next monday. So its miles for the next while for you and a couple of tougher session in a cpl of weeks?

good to hear you're back, that's a quick pace for that 20 miler after sickness. no wonder you were sore. one more week will do you the world of good. the fact you've been training hard for a long time will stand to you.

i'm going to do a similar taper.

My calf is OKish - its definitely on the mend. i can feel it throughout my run and i am being conscious not to let it affect my stride. I went training last week with a friend and he thought i was "stepping" a little bit with it, i just want to be careful not to cause any other damage. Yeah the plan now is hopefully get the mileage to 50+ this week with a 18 mile run on sunday without any speed work and then bring in PMP & Tempo next week.

Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 11.5 miles @ 7:28 pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

asimonov wrote: »
    good to hear you're back, that's a quick pace for that 20 miler after sickness. no wonder you were sore. one more week will do you the world of good. the fact you've been training hard for a long time will stand to you.

i'm going to do a similar taper.

My calf is OKish - its definitely on the mend. i can feel it throughout my run and i am being conscious not to let it affect my stride. I went training last week with a friend and he thought i was "stepping" a little bit with it, i just want to be careful not to cause any other damage. Yeah the plan now is hopefully get the mileage to 50+ this week with a 18 mile run on sunday without any speed work and then bring in PMP & Tempo next week.

Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 11.5 miles @ 7:28 pace.

I think there is mending and when that happens you need to streghten it back too. I imagine what you are feeling is it strenghtening again so prob best not to go off the deep end into sessions this week. You can always tell when someone stride is not right, its very obvious, usually its only friends that will tell you! You have lots of time left, just short of two months, take out a two week taper thats the bones of five / six weeks.

My outlook at the moment is that if i can get to raceday with no more illness and no more injury I will be happy! if a decent time comes all the better.

Wednesday: 5.1 miles at recovery pace during lunchtime.

I bought a pair of 2xu calf guards from AK and was brave enough to wear them (well one of them) outside today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Wednesday: 5.1 miles at recovery pace during lunchtime.

I bought a pair of 2xu calf guards from AK and was brave enough to wear them (well one of them) outside today.

If you want to do any fast work re tempo or intervals nxt week give us a txt. I dont mind been the donkey.

If you want to do any fast work re tempo or intervals nxt week give us a txt. I dont mind been the donkey.

thanks VR, i'll txt you over the weekend not sure if i'll be in good enough shape for intervals or tempo though, might be able to do a short PMP run. I did 8.1 miles today at 8:02 min miles and it was a struggle..not sure how much is physical and how much is just being freaked out:confused:...but my HR was high for the pace i was doing.

i'm going to take a rest day tomorrow and a short run saturday before a longer run on sunday.

• Advertisement

Friday: rest
    Saturday: took the bike out. 1h35m @ 129 HR...its some struggle to keep the HR up on the bike, i must have pretty poor leg strength. Also did 3 mile recovery run
    Sunday: went out to do 10 mile run on the river bank, got through 3 miles before my calf got in the way, nothing too serious, i just knew i wasn't doing myself any good. so packed it in and walked back.

Total for the week was 30 miles in 5 runs. I've decided to take the pressure off completely and not run this week at all. The leg is getting better but training on it isn't doing much for it. The new goal is to be fit to run the marathon end of november. i'll pick a time target closer to the day if i'm ok to run it.

Today: 70min @ 128HR on the bike, went out on country roads and came back along what will be the new m9 motorway next march. Really enjoyable cycle on clean tarmac.

The new goal is to be fit to run the marathon end of november. i'll pick a time target closer to the day if i'm ok to run it.

this approach will keep you sane. Just remember you were well (and still cud be) for a sub three, if its nots november its only a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

This is all immaterial...once you see "took the bike out", it will be a swift transition to triathlon, with marathon never to be mentioned again...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Saturday: took the bike out. 1h35m @ 129 HR...its some struggle to keep the HR up on the bike, i must have pretty poor leg strength.

Big hills if you want to raise your heart rate. i never knew i could sweat from my eyelids till i started cycling hills!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Big hills if you want to raise your heart rate. i never knew i could sweat from my eyelids till i started cycling hills!!
    Lol. I do find it a lot more difficult to cycle up steep hills than to run up them. Must compare heart rates over the same hills at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Lol. I do find it a lot more difficult to cycle up steep hills than to run up them. Must compare heart rates over the same hills at some stage.
    I also find that i feel running in the wind is now much easier, having cycled in the wind. im sure its all phsycological but the cycling really has helped in this respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Today: 70min @ 128HR on the bike, went out on country roads and came back along what will be the new m9 motorway next march. Really enjoyable cycle on clean tarmac.

That's the start of it now, next thing we'll be swapping brack recipes :D

Izoard wrote: »
    This is all immaterial...once you see "took the bike out", it will be a swift transition to triathlon, with marathon never to be mentioned again...:)
    i'm so over marathons because now
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Lol. I do find it a lot more difficult to cycle up steep hills than to run up them

sweating from my eyelids is my new life goal.
    showry wrote: »
    That's the start of it now, next thing we'll be swapping brack recipes :D

Ah, so that's what the peloton is for, recipe swapping. that figures.

I'm still placing a lot of emphasis on shopping my way back from injury, and to that end IL CORRIDORE, the documentary about Marco Olmo arrived in the post today. review to follow.

Despite sitting on my ar$e for a week, there is little in the way of progress..so i have an 8am with star geoghegan in carlow tomorrow. hope springs eternal.

Despite sitting on my ar$e for a week, there is little in the way of progress..so i have an 8am with star geoghegan in carlow tomorrow. hope springs eternal.

is the calf playing up again? I have heard of that guy, hope he works it out for you. Why is his name star? similar to Ciaran Donaghy the Kerry player.

It appears my calf problem is being agravated by my itb. He released my itb while I wriggled around on the treatment table while chewing my arm. Back for more on Wednesday.

is the calf playing up again? I have heard of that guy, hope he works it out for you. Why is his name star? similar to Ciaran Donaghy the Kerry player.

yeah still there, i don't know where he got his name, i didn't ask as he didn't seem to be the small talk type :). how's your last week been?

yeah still there, i don't know where he got his name, i didn't ask as he didn't seem to be the small talk type :). how's your last week been?

ha, i didnt mean you to ask, was just wondering :)

last weeks been ok, 57 miles last week and about 45 this week including one speed session (10k in 40mins) and an easy 15 miles tomorrow. Calf is a little tight from speed session, its seems anytime i run fast my calf is tight for a cpl of days. Its a very strange strain, its like the skin is sore but the pain intensifies a little and then its definitely in the muscle. The one redeeming factor is that it is healing, its a lot better than it was yesterday. At this point i just want to get to race day and run my best.

Are you still on for florence? I am going to try and streghten my calf once the race is over.

ha, i didnt mean you to ask, was just wondering :)

last weeks been ok, 57 miles last week and about 45 this week including one speed session (10k in 40mins) and an easy 15 miles tomorrow. Calf is a little tight from speed session, its seems anytime i run fast my calf is tight for a cpl of days. Its a very strange strain, its like the skin is sore but the pain intensifies a little and then its definitely in the muscle. The one redeeming factor is that it is healing, its a lot better than it was yesterday. At this point i just want to get to race day and run my best.

Are you still on for florence? I am going to try and streghten my calf once the race is over.

yeah, i can understand your description of the calf. The actual tear in mine repaired ok i think, but the muscle became inflamed near the skin. It feels a little better since yesterday, but that could be placebo.

Those are two good weeks of training to finish with, just take it easy this week and run a good race and you'll be grand.

In terms of florence, i'm loath to say, as everytime i plan on something the opposite happens. my flights are booked, i have an entry and if i can run it, i will.

Today, lunchtime easy 5 miles in lashing rain. I had my follow up appointment this morning - he's happy that he's resolved the cause of the problem. I've been given three new stretches to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Today, lunchtime easy 5 miles in lashing rain. I had my follow up appointment this morning - he's happy that he's resolved the cause of the problem. I've been given three new stretches to do.

Hope thats the end of it now !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Not another ITB victim :rolleyes:

You have had a tough time of it recently asimonov - hope things go well for you between now and Florence. You deserve a break!

good news, hope it picks up for you and Florence goes well.

good news, hope it picks up for you and Florence goes well.

Thanks lads, hopefully not another false dawn. :rolleyes:

82:22 10.9miles 7:30pace HR152

Anyway, today was a beautiful early morning run (well kinda early 7:30am). The run went well, i was a bit tentative for the first few miles, didn't want to stress the leg, but by the time i had gone through 3 miles it felt good - a little bit of muscle soreness but not the pain of previous runs, and my stride felt balanced. A good start to the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good to hear.

Good to hear.

thanks SJ, good luck tomorrow...

Saturday 24th: Recovery 20km cycle - no watch

Sunday 25th: Steady 2h20min 18 miles 7:47pace 144HR
    Up and out relatively early this morning. Wasn't sure whether i was going to add some marathon pace miles into this, but decided against it as i haven't had a long run in a while. The first 12 miles were an out and back on the unopened M9, stupidly i went out with a tailwind and in the direction that is slightly downhill - which made the 6 miles back very hard work. For anyone doing the crookstown (sp?) run in november on the M9 near castledermot the wind is going to be a considerable factor as it really whips down the motorway and there is nowhere to hide. He who drafts wins, i'd say.

With the initial 12 miles done, i dropped back to the house and joined up with my brother in law for a final 6 mile loop, to bring it to 18 altogether.

Monday 26th Recovery 5miles

42:30 5 miles 8:30pace No HR

Was going to take the day off, but motivated by the marathon posts coming in, i went out for a quick 5 mile recovery run. My quads were sore after the LSR on sunday but nothing terminal, just made it a little of a struggle.

Really enjoyed reading the race reports last night, loads of true grit and determination being shown in the face of adversity. inspiring stuff, and already i'm looking forward to seeing izoard compete in IMCH as the caped crusader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good man...maybe a cheeky monkey on asimonov being the first Paddy home in Firenze?

IM CH in the bat suit is sooo last year (or so Eireman, come to think of it).

However, an IM backwards? I'm in!

Izoard wrote: »
    Good man...maybe a cheeky monkey on asimonov being the first Paddy home in Firenze?

IM CH in the bat suit is sooo last year (or so Eireman, come to think of it).

However, an IM backwards? I'm in!

The biking section should be challenging, but other than that i have full confidence in your ability.

Wednesday 28th 60' Steady
    1:00:09 8 miles, 7:31 pace No HR

Went to the watershed gym last night with a club mate, where a friend who is a 31min 10k'er showed us some weights and core routines for runners. The upper body which has never done anything of this sort before didn't know what hit it. Anyway, I now have a routine thing to do at home using the swiss / gym / beach ball and will do one gym session a week to see how we go.

Up and out early this morning again to take advantage of the brief return to bright mornings. The run was a bit of a struggle over the last few miles, maybe i hadn't fully recovered from sunday's LSR - but more likely it just reflects a drop in fitness over the last month. I have 4 weeks to the marathon - i hope to do LSR's of 18 or 20 this weekend, followed by 20, 18 & 15 and then race.

• Advertisement

Thursday 29th
    1:16, about 10 miles, (no garmin)

Met up with a club mate who was doing his weekly long run. We went up to the race track to do laps of the tarmac track that runs around the inside of the course. The laps are about 1.25 miles with one half uphill and into the wind it wasn't the easiest easy run of all time. All the same that's two good back to back runs done. Also finished Charlie Speddings book "from last to first", it's a really good read, it's well written and includes samples of his training schedules as well.

Advertisement