Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

here goes nothing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Fancy lending me that book for a while asimonov?

I can lend you this if you like:

http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Training-Runners-Revolutionary-andResults/dp/0451222326

It's a bit technical (for me) but I think I got some benefit from it.

No worries if you don't want to..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

rigal wrote: »
    Fancy lending me that book for a while asimonov?
    I can lend you this if you like:
    http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Training-Runners-Revolutionary-andResults/dp/0451222326
    It's a bit technical (for me) but I think I got some benefit from it.
    No worries if you don't want to..;)

hey rigal, i am normally a good lender...but i had that book on loan from someone and gave it back last night at training. will take brain training though :o - i can swap you born to run as soon as it is returned to me or Richard Nerurker - marathon running from beginner to elite

did 4 miles today in 32 minutes around a sodden football pitch...mind numbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

asimonov wrote: »
    hey rigal, i am normally a good lender...but i had that book on loan from someone and gave it back last night at training. will take brain training though :o - i can swap you born to run as soon as it is returned to me or Richard Nerurker - marathon running from beginner to elite

did 4 miles today in 32 minutes around a sodden football pitch...mind numbing.

No worries. I actually read the Neruker book a while back so I'll pass. PM me your address and I'll send brain training to you next week. You can send me Born to run once you get it back.

Thanks rigal, I'll pm you as soon as I get it back.

Saturday 31st : rest
    Sunday 1st November: 2:13 Long run

I went to the castle park today to do my long run on grass and trail instead of the road. Turned out to be a good call, as even though the ground was a bit heavy it felt good to run on it and on the few bits of the 1.25 mile lap that were on tarmac path I could feel the lack of absorption. The idea was to do an 18 mile progression run, 6 at 7:40, 6 at 7:20 and 6 at 7:00. I took a 1 min break after each set to take water. Felt good during the run, there were lots of hills and twists and turns to keep it interesting. Total miles this week 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

good workout Asiminov,i plan to introduce the progression to my next marathon program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Thanks rigal, I'll pm you as soon as I get it back.

Saturday 31st : rest
    Sunday 1st November: 2:13 Long run

I went to the castle park today to do my long run on grass and trail instead of the road. Turned out to be a good call, as even though the ground was a bit heavy it felt good to run on it and on the few bits of the 1.25 mile lap that were on tarmac path I could feel the lack of absorption. The idea was to do an 18 mile progression run, 6 at 7:40, 6 at 7:20 and 6 at 7:00. I took a 1 min break after each set to take water. Felt good during the run, there were lots of hills and twists and turns to keep it interesting. Total miles this week 45.

Thats good times in the park. Its tough down there. 18 miles in the park is a serious workout. I cant seem to run fast down there. Hence why i struggle over the cross country.

Sosa wrote: »
    good workout Asiminov,i plan to introduce the progression to my next marathon program.

Thanks sosa, I like them because they increase the intensity of the workout without having to go longer, and it helps mentally to break the run into sections. They'll do you good I'm sure.

Thats good times in the park. Its tough down there. 18 miles in the park is a serious workout. I cant seem to run fast down there. Hence why i struggle over the cross country.

Cheers VR, it was my first time in the park but I enjoyed it, makes a change from the road. It's nice to run where other people are running.

Monday: I found a new definition of insanity, it involves compression socks, a head torch, lashing rain and sloshing around a million laps of a sodden football pitch to do 3.23 miles in 30 minutes. It was so boring and slow my HR didn't break 120.

Tuesday: 7.86 miles in 57:11
    my first proper tempo run in 8 weeks. I was hoping to run around 6:30's while keeping my HR under 170. Splits were 6:33 / 6:34 / 6:26 / 6:41 / 6:36. Average HR 172. Delighted to be back doing these again and the leg held up perfectly. I'll get a chance to do a couple more of these before the marathon. Next up is a recovery run tomorrow and then a MP workout on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

Tuesday: 7.86 miles in 57:11
    my first proper tempo run in 8 weeks. I was hoping to run around 6:30's while keeping my HR under 170. Splits were 6:33 / 6:34 / 6:26 / 6:41 / 6:36. Average HR 172. Delighted to be back doing these again and the leg held up perfectly. I'll get a chance to do a couple more of these before the marathon. Next up is a recovery run tomorrow and then a MP workout on Thursday.

thats great news the leg held up under that session. I would push the MP workout one more day, just to be sure to be sure? what is your MP, are you going for sub-3? In your shoes i would definetely give it a crack. keep up the good work, love the idea of running around a pitch with a headlamp in compression socks in the pissings of rain.

wizwill wrote: »
    thats great news the leg held up under that session. I would push the MP workout one more day, just to be sure to be sure? what is your MP, are you going for sub-3? In your shoes i would definetely give it a crack. keep up the good work, love the idea of running around a pitch with a headlamp in compression socks in the pissings of rain.

Thanks wizwill, good call on leaving it a day. I had a sports massage this morning so I didn't want to push the legs.. In terms of sub3, I'm in two minds...my rational side knows I'm nowhere near the form I was at the end of august and I've missed so much training at a critical time.
    I don't think any amount of "want" or "teeth gritting" can compensate for that lack of fitness. A
    small part of me thinks fcuk it, just go for it. So i may end up going out at 7min miles and giving myself the faintest possibility of getting on sub3 pace later in the race. I think I'll just be glad to be running it TBH, it's there to be enjoyed, not to mention 3 days in Italy without the kids...24 days to go now!

6 miles today at 8min mile pace.

• Advertisement

Have a look at my splits from DCM (posted on my log),thats what not to do.
    I dont know how many marathons you have done,but if your not 100% and thinking of still going for sub 3,i wouold say go no faster than 6:55/7:00 for the first 10,see how you feel then.

If i only could turn back the clock :rolleyes:

Asiminov, as a matter of interest how are you getting to florence, i cant seem to find any direct flights from ireland? A curiousity i swear.

on your race plan, dont forget you have gone 28 minutes for 5 miles and 36 minutes for 10k, I know you have had the injury but take heart with those times. A 1.31.5 first half and see how you feel?

Asiminov, as a matter of interest how are you getting to florence, i cant seem to find any direct flights from ireland? A curiousity i swear.

on your race plan, dont forget you have gone 28 minutes for 5 miles and 36 minutes for 10k, I know you have had the injury but take heart with those times. A 1.31.5 first half and see how you feel?

cheers wizwill, i will take heart - maybe a conservative approach like that over the first half may leave
    me some chance on the day. We're flying into bologna with ryanair on the friday and then a train to florence takes about 70min. Are you sure its only curiosity - have you seen the elevation profile...its pretty friendly.

I have a wedding on tomorrow which rules out any major runs for saturday and sunday so i drove into the bright lights of kk for an MP pace session this evening. I did a mile warm up and down and then 5/4/3/2/1 miles at 6:50 pace with 2 min jog recovery in between. It wasn't exactly pleasant but it wasn't too bad, crawled back to the car though as i got drenched in freezing rain on the 2 mile session. Glad to be at home in front of the fire.

Next up after a recovery run on sunday is an LSR on monday.

Sosa wrote: »
    Have a look at my splits from DCM (posted on my log),thats what not to do.
    I dont know how many marathons you have done,but if your not 100% and thinking of still going for sub 3,i wouold say go no faster than 6:55/7:00 for the first 10,see how you feel then.

If i only could turn back the clock :rolleyes:

jesus sosa - just looked back at the splits there...in fairness its not as if you went crazy...the margins are so tight. Just reading what gringo said about 10 seconds being the difference between 5k and 5 mile pace makes sense though.

jesus sosa - just looked back at the splits there...in fairness its not as if you went crazy...the margins are so tight. Just reading what gringo said about 10 seconds being the difference between 5k and 5 mile pace makes sense though.

I did not realise it at the time but i killed myself by 10m...i am raging mad about it...all that 4 months training to throw it all away.

All i can say is that i was totally naive....it was my first...i will be better prepared next time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

10 seconds might not seem like much, but if that 10 seconds is the difference between being below and above your lactate threshold, you'll know all about it after 15 miles!

10 seconds might not seem like much, but if that 10 seconds is the difference between being below and above your lactate threshold, you'll know all about it after 15 miles!

Hopefully my lactate threshold will be blissfully unaware of the marathon pace being run below it until about mile 21 :-)

Today was a 80min steady, I did 4 x 1' min pickups iafter mile 6, otherwise uneventful. Total 11 miles, 1:20 and a few seconds.

Monday 9th: Painfully slow 5 mile recovery run in the lashing rain

Tuesday 10th: Rest

Wednesday 11th:
    Lovely steady run up onto the ridge and back down at lunchtime ahead of final LT session tomorrow.
    8.6 miles @ 7:22 pace 1hr 03min 160 HR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

... not to mention 3 days in Italy without the kids...24 days to go now!

No kids? What kind of prep is that?

Remember back to your logistical gymnastics at Conn...all part of a very impressive debut!

It's actually easier to get to Florence than it is to get to lough Ina from Kilkenny via louisburgh :-)

Had a cracking track seasion with Ike and VR this evening. The session was lite enough in terms of intensity. 2 mile warm up, 6 x 1 mile at 6:30 pace with 400m recovery and 1 mile warm down. Intervals were cruisey enough, worked hard for the final two. Great to get out running with company again, I love the buzz of doing intervals in a group.

Home afterwards for shower, warm fire and puttanesca, yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Great session totally buzzed after it, might feel different in the morning tho...Having three or more running really helps on a session like that alright

i had an acupuncture session at enerQi in waterford today that left me totally revitalised. So braved the lashing rain for a 5 miles easy pace run, felt great after.

hi a, training seems to be going well, acupuncture and everything. Upgraded my forerunner 305 to 405xt. Great gadget. Not long to Florence, i did look at flights etc last week but its a definite non runner, i am going to concentrate on 5k,5milers and 10k until march and see how i am getting along before deciding on marathons for next year. I see you are planning the ultra in connemara, fair play, you really love the long distance stuff. best of luck with the rest of your training.

hi a, training seems to be going well, acupuncture and everything. Upgraded my forerunner 305 to 405xt. Great gadget. Not long to Florence, i did look at flights etc last week but its a definite non runner, i am going to concentrate on 5k,5milers and 10k until march and see how i am getting along before deciding on marathons for next year. I see you are planning the ultra in connemara, fair play, you really love the long distance stuff. best of luck with the rest of your training.

thanks wizwill. its going ok now tg, one more long session tomorrow or sunday and i'll start to ease off for the final two weeks.

yeah i actually signed up for the ultra stupid-early in may but then i really enjoyed the regularity of the shorter road races during the summer and i'd like to take a bit off my pb's in some of those...so still a little undecided as to what to do. i'll make up my mind in december. Are you treading water at the moment or is it xcountry?

Today I embraced my inner Slogger Jogger (if you know what I mean) and did a cracking 13.1 mile run on forest trail and track around jenkinstown estate. It was 6.5 laps of a 2 mile circuit that was hilly, wet, mucky and great fun. Averaged 8 min miles but actually had to work hard to keep it at that. Class run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice running there!

With two weeks to go to the marathon, I am concious of the fact I haven't raced since september the 5th. So today I decided to push my last LSR out a few days and make my cross country debut in the county novice. Most plans would have me in some kind of taper now, but with my training being so interupted over the last 8 weeks, I feel I may benefit by not dropping my mileage until the last week.

I arrived at the xcountry as the under age programme was underway, bringing flashbacks of a couple of terrible runs as a teenager in punchestown. The race kicked off, and I took it easy for the first couple of k's before picking it up over the last few. I really enjoyed it, it was a good run, I didn't really push it 100% and finished in 3rd a good 20 sec down on 2nd place. The lads on the team ran really well, and we won the team competition. Most importantly, the leg survived, and I got some racing mojo back which hopefully will stand to me in a few weeks. I might
    go for a recovery run later or leave it until tomorrow and then the final long run on Tuesday is the plan. Average pace today was 6:18 (6k)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats on the podium finish and return to form. Just in the nick of time too. Hope the next two weeks go well for you. Probably best to get the last LSR out of the way soon, and start energising for the big one.

Thanks KC, I'll be straight back to mid-pack status in the senior county in December. :-) maybe if I can get a couple of recovery miles in this evening i'll try to get the long one done tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Well done nice to get placed, was raging I could'nt make it today.

Advertisement